Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Convert of the Sleeved

Okay, so....I've posted very little here. First post was in....January I think. Long story short, I spent a year and a half being bounced around by the clinic and my insurance. Finally got the approval in June, and I got sleeved on Tuesday the 9th.

80% of my stomach was removed, and I was told by my surgeon that I had a lot of scar tissue removed caused by my old lap band.

I won't lie. It's been...rough. One incision gives me pain because it tugs when I move. The hospital stay sucked, but amazingly, I haven't puked once. When I first woke up post-op, the gas pain was *horrific.* And I think the nurses are sadists for making you get out of bed the day of. So that sucked. But I can get around well enough. I've done remarkably well.

I had to do the liquid diet for three days pre op. It. Was. Torture. No solid food. I went insane. Fantasized about onion rings and mozzarella sticks and other random food.

Now in the full liquids stage for about another...week and a half or so, roughly. I have to do Baricare three times a day, and let me tell you. It's disgusting. It tastes like...watered down sugarfree Nesquick, but worse somehow. I don't know if I can do this for the rest of my life, especially the supplements. I know the Baricare is temporary but I *hate* it. What I wouldn't give for a cheeseburger or any real food, really. And soda. Caffeine. I want the things that are "bad" for me. Well. I will want them.

Nutritionist says I can never have pizza or fried foods or fast foods or....salami, bacon, pepperoni, corned beef....nothing I actually like, basically. The post op diet SUCKS a lot. I can basically never enjoy food again. No compromise. Nothing with salt. Nothing that makes anything taste well...good.

I know, I know, complain, complain, complain but I regret doing this. It's....worse than I thought it would be.

This all feels like nothing short of torture. Yeah, this might add decades to my life but for what? I can never eat anything I like ever again because mean nutritionist lady put it on the never again list. It's everything I liked.

No more visiting my grandma, no more participating in family holidays, no more going out to eat...and damn, the grocery store is going to be downright depressing from now on. I'm going to miss out on a lot it feels like.

I may be glad I did it someday, but boy am I feeling buyer's remorse in full effect. I knew what I was getting into but did it anyways because my endo badgered me into it because my Diabetes was...pretty bad.

I am just...depressed and want to go back to some of my old bad habits because this just....doesn't feel worth it.

20 minutes ago, LadyHermit said:

Nutritionist says I can never have pizza or fried foods or fast foods or....salami, bacon, pepperoni, corned beef....nothing I actually like, basically. The post op diet SUCKS a lot. I can basically never enjoy food again. No compromise. Nothing with salt. Nothing that makes anything taste well...good.

First food stages (liquid, puree and soft) are hard. Hit your Protein goal.

All surgeons’ plans look different. Do you have copy of your dietician’s real food stage plan? I am curious to know what you are allowed to eat on your plan.

Bad diabetes can lead to limb amputation, kidney failure and dialysis as well as insulin dependence. I watched my father die a painful death from diabetes. Pre diabetes is what prompted me to do the sleeve in April. Maybe it's just me but I would rather not eat bacon and pizza the rest of my life than die the slow death my dad did. Just saying...

Wow, Cowgirl. Sorry to hear that. However, I think all of us can take a lesson in healthcare from our parents. I know mine were a perfect example of what not to do healthcare wise. But, I'm with you. I'd rather never eat bacon or pizza or have soda if it means adding another 40 yrs to my life.

I wasn't told I couldnt ever have all those things again by my nutritionist or Surgen. After some time we will be able to have some of the food we have always enjoyed. This time with my new tool, it will be controlled and enjoyed.

Full disclosure: I am going through a lot of emotions with this and well...a bit like an alcoholic, the world is full of temptation. My nutritionist and surgeon have an all or nothing approach. Now I very well KNOW that I will never, ever be able to eat at the same level I used to, nor should I be able to. But it was the lack of compromise that got me. It being all or nothing. Black and white. Like...I can't have the things I like in *some* moderation as long as I behave myself? And there may be things I avoid because I can no longer tolerate them.

It just feels like I'll have to miss out on a lot if I want to stick to this diet faithfully. I live in the south, land of chicken fried steak so....yeah.

I may feel differently as time goes on, but I just had to whine and vent. I signed up for this. I knew what I was getting into mostly. But I know the nutritionist won't be sympathetic to my struggles and will be a hard@$$ about it. What's the point of missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures, which is food? I feel like I will barely want to leave my own house without the promise of a treat like Taco Bell or a burger anymore.

Just feeling bitter that I had to do this. Wish I'd postponed or...I dunno. I just...don't know.

You may feel differently as the new you emerges. Be patient and good luck.

I wouldn't stress about it today. I think eventually you will be able to eat things in moderation, probably not to the extent we all have eaten in the past. Once you start trading weight loss for food, I think it will get easier. Good luck!!

My surgeon and nutritionist never told me that any food was out of bounds. They told me that if I chose to eat very calorific foods then I would lose weight slower. They did warn me that very calorific sugary drinks and alcohol would be easy to consume and could sabotage my weight loss, so I steer clear of them (except on special occasions).

I do eat some of the food that you've listed, but only in very small amounts. If I eat just a bit too much of them, I get dumping syndrome and that's so unpleasant, that I've only done it twice.

I've lost a good amount of weight using moderation rather than the 'all-or-nothing' approach, but it fits my personality to do it that way. I was never a food addict - my portions were just too big and I drank too much wine. However, I recognise that if someone is a food addict, then they might not be able to eat just a little bit of what they like without bingeing.

I am the sort of person who would rebel against being told I could never eat something ever again though, so I don't think I would have succeeded with your surgeon's stipulations!

What, you can't visit your Grandma? You can't participate in family holidays?? Why can't you enjoy your Grandma's company and just not have it revolve around food? There Will be things you like that you can eat. I promise. You will be able to participate in family holidays and celebrations. Just focus on the meaning for the get togethers. You need to change your relationship with food. You are right that food should go from being an emotional crutch. And a coping mechanism, but think of food as nutrition and something you lovingly give yourself to aid in your health and well being. I still go out to eat. I just pick off my husband's plate, or get an appetizer. I still visit with relatives. My life no longer revolves around food. It is all about cultivating the proper mindset, and YOU CAN DO THIS!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

And another baddie you didn't state but true also. BLINDNESS, when my diabetic Daddy died along with the other less lovely qualities he would have been Legally Blind within a few months. Wish he could has sought WLS , I would still have him and my also diabetic Mama instead of just memories. YOU CANT HUG MEMORIES like you can a Real Person. But at the time, neither one was offered the options, do wish they were both here to watch their only baby try to be successful , I'm now 73, but even if things still are not all perfect n I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN before surgery, and 10 months pist- surgery I WILL BE A SUCCESS!
Sorry, I am sniffling a little, just wish I could share this experience with them instead of having pictures to hold clise!

15 hours ago, LadyHermit said:

Full disclosure: I am going through a lot of emotions with this and well...a bit like an alcoholic, the world is full of temptation. My nutritionist and surgeon have an all or nothing approach. Now I very well KNOW that I will never, ever be able to eat at the same level I used to, nor should I be able to. But it was the lack of compromise that got me. It being all or nothing. Black and white. Like...I can't have the things I like in *some* moderation as long as I behave myself? And there may be things I avoid because I can no longer tolerate them.

It just feels like I'll have to miss out on a lot if I want to stick to this diet faithfully. I live in the south, land of chicken fried steak so....yeah.

I may feel differently as time goes on, but I just had to whine and vent. I signed up for this. I knew what I was getting into mostly. But I know the nutritionist won't be sympathetic to my struggles and will be a hard@$$ about it. What's the point of missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures, which is food? I feel like I will barely want to leave my own house without the promise of a treat like Taco Bell or a burger anymore.

Just feeling bitter that I had to do this. Wish I'd postponed or...I dunno. I just...don't know.

Girl I feel ya! We had surgery the same day! Yesterday was also a tough day for me mentally. InLaws fried all kind of food while we were there and it was so depressing but I think the mental part will get better if we fight through it and lean on our support systems here. Right now they lined out pretty clear for me what I can have but My surgeon has an “in moderation” approach once you go into maintenance. I’m also from the Deep South, like you, where we are born and bread to truly Celebrate all things deliciously. We will get through this girl! Tough days will not get us down!

Mine didn’t give me NEVER foods either. But you have to make good choices if you want to see the weight go down quicker. In my opinion and experience Bad choices will lead to slow weight loss and stalls. I still give into cravings myself but know that when I do it’s only a few bites and then I need to be extra diligent with my other meals of the day. It’s a marathon not a sprint. I think it takes time for your brain to change bad habits. You can do it. Once you see your body changing I think it’ll def motivate you. I am 11 mos out and do not regret it for a second. Hang in there. We are all here on this to support one another and encourage eachother. When you’re feeling down get online and there are so many of us on here to try and help boost you up! Good luck and you can do this😊💪🏻👍🏻

My philosophy was, its just for now not forever !! Keep in mind you need to get to goal before you start trying all the stuff you love again. When you do start eating those things keep it in check. On occasion maybe 3 or 4 times I have gone to taco bell and had 1 taco and that is all I can hold in my sleeve. I will also have a cupcake on occasion too. I am not saying this is for everyone, but it works for me. I don't feel deprived of anything and am very happy with how far I have come. Good luck and stick with the diet for now.

Edited by Tracyringo