Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tow truck drivers

Doing our part to be green, DH and I often ride to/fro work together. I'm about 2 mins off his route, but sometimes I will drop him off if I know I have an errand to run or smtg. There's a particular intersection near his work that sees a LOT of accidents, and most of them are bad. In fact, my husband was in one about 18 months ago, driving my car, and it was totalled. Near this intersection there's a "scenic route" type loop, and tow trucks line up in that loop waiting for an accident. I refer to them as "the vultures."

When my husband had his accident I was working from home. We live about 20 mins away. I left imemdiately when he called, and when I got there (no more than 30 mins after the accident) there were already 4 tow trucks there competiting for business. One of them was actually being hostile with my husband and his two passengers, telling them they needed to "get your heads out of your fucking asses and sign the consent to have me tow your car before those other jokers get to you first." (Between my husband and his passengers this accident resulted in 2nd degree burns, about 20 stitches, three fused vertebrae, a broken rib, and a totalled car, so these aren't "healthy" guys who are being berated, they're hurt.) I told the guy to buggar off, that we had roadside, and that I could guarantee his company would NOT be getting our business, even if it's who our roadside wanted to call. He got irate.

This morning I was getting my husband a coffee - one of the gas mega plexes - and there was a tow truck driver behind me in line. He got a call to go to the scene of an accident, and actually said to no one in particular, "I hope it's a bad one, my kids need something in their stocking." I must have given him a weird look because he then said, "Hey, I know it's the most cheery way to look at things, but when people get hurt, I make money."

Last winter my husband and I slid on ice and down the bank into the triangle-shaped spot of land that divides the interstate from the exit ramp (can't think of what it's called). Our car was fine, we just couldn't get back up n the road. Called toadside again, and they send someone out. As he's wenching our car back to the road, we're chit-chatting and I mentioned that I hate winter. He says, "Oh not me, I love it. Lots of wrecks = lots of money."

I understand that this is a legitimate business, and I understand that people in a business need to make money, but it seems so distorted to have them profit off someone's tragedy (also brings to mind people who run funeral homes) - rejoicing that someone might be seriously hurt because it means they get a larger paycheck. And not only that, but instead of helping someone who's sitting there bleeding and broken, they're arguing amongst each other over who gets the fare - but only after they've stalked an area and waiting for something bad to happen. ;)

I know where you are coming from but you would have to put yourself in there shoes. It is there lively hood and is how they pay there bills. I am surprised that when there are accidents that there isn't a certain tow company that the PD calls. I know where I used to live thats how it worked for accidents. Remember its just a sick sense of humor like Doctors, Nurses, Police and Fire have. For them accidents = Job Security.

My husband and I own an auto repair business that also has a wrecker service. If we EVER had an employee who said or acted the way you have described--they would be GONE! I don't know where you are, but here-my wreckers cannot even show up at the scene of an accident unless they have been called. And the wrecker service portion of the business is NOT what pays the bills--it is a service--by the time you buy the trucks and pay the insurance(here they require the same amount as for 18-wheelers) and then pay an employee--it is either break even or in the whole!!

Do I think there are bad apples out there who give us all a bad name?-Yes--but they represent the MINORITY of legitimate(if they are that) wrecker services

Off my Jack-Stand now

Mary

I know where you are coming from but you would have to put yourself in there shoes. It is there lively hood and is how they pay there bills. I am surprised that when there are accidents that there isn't a certain tow company that the PD calls. I know where I used to live thats how it worked for accidents. Remember its just a sick sense of humor like Doctors, Nurses, Police and Fire have. For them accidents = Job Security.

Yeah, however, here's the difference. You'll never hear a doc saying "Oh, yeah, Christmas is gonna be GOOD this year! Joe Schmo in there has stage 3 cancer. JACKPOT!!!"

You'll also never be a fly on the wall in a fire station and hear any of the firemen say, "Geez, I hope that apartment complex up on North 110th catches fire this week, I gotta pay for my kid's braces!"

Come on. Vultures they may be, but they don't need to advertise that they're assholes.

Lighten up and don't jump down my throat. I agree with you all ! There is a time and a place for them to say stuff like that and I agree.

PS: I was a career firefighter in a large city and still a Vol FF. You would be surprised what is said in a firehouse or during a fire.

That's really rude and tacky. I see no problem w/the business b/c it's needed. but the comments were ridiculous. It's a shame they would think something like that and especially say it aloud. Luckily, I have had nice tow truck drivers so far.

Yeah, however, here's the difference. You'll never hear a doc saying "Oh, yeah, Christmas is gonna be GOOD this year! Joe Schmo in there has stage 3 cancer. JACKPOT!!!"

You'll also never be a fly on the wall in a fire station and hear any of the firemen say, "Geez, I hope that apartment complex up on North 110th catches fire this week, I gotta pay for my kid's braces!"

Come on. Vultures they may be, but they don't need to advertise that they're assholes.

Don't doctors and firefighters work on salary where as a tow trick driver may be in business for himself (he owns his own truck)?

Don't doctors and firefighters work on salary where as a tow trick driver may be in business for himself (he owns his own truck)?

The reference being used was not of salary but of dark humor.

No not all Docs work on salary. Example being your lap band surgeon. They only gets paid when they do surgery's. Some Firefighters work on a paid call type pay. They only get paid when they go on calls.

Docs in the US don't "usually" work on salary, they are paid according to what they produce.

I've heard a nurse say that she hoped a really good trauma came in that night because she was bored. Without batting an eye the doc said, "And I hope it is your family member."

Sometimes doctors get it right. :)

The reference being used was not of salary but of dark humor.

No not all Docs work on salary. Example being your lap band surgeon. They only gets paid when they do surgery's. Some Firefighters work on a paid call type pay. They only get paid when they go on calls.

Thanks Chris. :)

Docs in the US don't "usually" work on salary, they are paid according to what they produce.

I've heard a nurse say that she hoped a really good trauma came in that night because she was bored. Without batting an eye the doc said, "And I hope it is your family member."

Sometimes doctors get it right. :)

LMAO.

Couldn't have thought of a better example myself.