Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“Geriatric pregnancy” after WLS



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I’m one week away from my VSG surgery and everything is getting a little real. All the feelings are coming up.

Here’s some backstory: I’m 37, had a healthy baby girl when I turned 35. Gained about 80 pounds after having her and haven’t been able to get it off (I’ve ALWAYS struggled with my weight). I developed preeclampsia when I was in labor with my daughter and it took a good couple of weeks for my poor pressure to normalize after she was born.

Hubby (44) and I have always wanted to have two children, never thought we would be doing it this late in the game but that’s how life goes. We are still wanting another one (although sometimes I’m on the fence about it) but if I have surgery now I’ll be considered a “geriatric pregnancy” if I wait the year from surgery to get pregnant. Basically if everything goes according to plan (which I realize is a long shot) I would be pregnant at 38 and giving birth at 39.

Just looking to hear if anyone had any experience with being in your late 30s and getting pregnant after wls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I can't speak to pregnancy post WLS, other than I've heard that many women do it successfully with the support of their OB and bariatric team, I was an AMA (advanced maternal age) mom for both of my successful pregnancies.

I was 38 when my youngest was born. To be honest, I was the poster child for why fat 'old' ladies shouldn't get pregnant. Both pregnancies brought on complications that were largely weight related. High blood pressure, gestational diabetes (heavily insulin dependant), etc. In my last pregnancy, I underwent a lot of extra testing and scans just to be sure that all was well with the wee boy. But even with those issues, both pregnancies turned out very well. Both of the wee-lings ended up in the NICU for a bit because of their blood sugars, my eldest for only a few hours, my youngest for a few days, but there have been no lasting health issues for them. Both pregnancies ended with C-sections... the second one was scheduled because it was less than 1.5 years after my first.

Talk to your doctors... your pcp, your ob, and your bariatric team. Let them know what your plans are so that you all can be on the same page about your goals. I commend you for taking control of your health before moving forward with another potentially high risk pregnancy. Good luck to you for your surgery and growing your family!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My Last child was when I was 34 going on 35, he has been a blessing I could not have forecasted, although my Late Mama- in-law informed me at the time that her son and I should have given up sex by then, because we already had a son and daughter and I was merely being greedy having an additional child. She was 28 when my hubby, her only live child , was born, if our positions had been reversed I would have been thrilled to hear of the family enlarging. But I married into a weird group of people, late hubby was the" pick of the litter" and there were moments I would have dropped him off at the nearest PEOPLE POUND if only I could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PEOPLE POUND, I have to remember that one! I'm sorry, I just had to thank you for that little giggle today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pushycat said:

Hi everyone! I’m one week away from my VSG surgery and everything is getting a little real. All the feelings are coming up.

Here’s some backstory: I’m 37, had a healthy baby girl when I turned 35. Gained about 80 pounds after having her and haven’t been able to get it off (I’ve ALWAYS struggled with my weight). I developed preeclampsia when I was in labor with my daughter and it took a good couple of weeks for my poor pressure to normalize after she was born.

Hubby (44) and I have always wanted to have two children, never thought we would be doing it this late in the game but that’s how life goes. We are still wanting another one (although sometimes I’m on the fence about it) but if I have surgery now I’ll be considered a “geriatric pregnancy” if I wait the year from surgery to get pregnant. Basically if everything goes according to plan (which I realize is a long shot) I would be pregnant at 38 and giving birth at 39.

Just looking to hear if anyone had any experience with being in your late 30s and getting pregnant after wls?

No experience with it personally, but my Mum had me at 41 (last child) so its not rare.

Good luck 💜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

My Last child was when I was 34 going on 35, he has been a blessing I could not have forecasted, although my Late Mama- in-law informed me at the time that her son and I should have given up sex by then, because we already had a son and daughter and I was merely being greedy having an additional child. She was 28 when my hubby, her only live child , was born, if our positions had been reversed I would have been thrilled to hear of the family enlarging. But I married into a weird group of people, late hubby was the" pick of the litter" and there were moments I would have dropped him off at the nearest PEOPLE POUND if only I could.

People Pound! Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrsGamgee said:

While I can't speak to pregnancy post WLS, other than I've heard that many women do it successfully with the support of their OB and bariatric team, I was an AMA (advanced maternal age) mom for both of my successful pregnancies.

I was 38 when my youngest was born. To be honest, I was the poster child for why fat 'old' ladies shouldn't get pregnant. Both pregnancies brought on complications that were largely weight related. High blood pressure, gestational diabetes (heavily insulin dependant), etc. In my last pregnancy, I underwent a lot of extra testing and scans just to be sure that all was well with the wee boy. But even with those issues, both pregnancies turned out very well. Both of the wee-lings ended up in the NICU for a bit because of their blood sugars, my eldest for only a few hours, my youngest for a few days, but there have been no lasting health issues for them. Both pregnancies ended with C-sections... the second one was scheduled because it was less than 1.5 years after my first.

Talk to your doctors... your pcp, your ob, and your bariatric team. Let them know what your plans are so that you all can be on the same page about your goals. I commend you for taking control of your health before moving forward with another potentially high risk pregnancy. Good luck to you for your surgery and growing your family!

Thank you for your kind words. It definitely helps to hear from someone who experienced pregnancy at 38. I'm definitely keeping all of my doctors in the loop and had an extensive conversation with both my surgeon and my OB about my options. After reading more, I'm feeling more confident with my decision to get the surgery first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My
Program suggests waiting 2 full years from the time of WLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend had bypass surgery about 10 years ago...she lost over 100 pounds, fell in love and got married at age 39. Got pregnant and delivered her first baby at age 41 with no complications. Decided to go for baby #2 and had a difficult pregnancy and her son born in December has Down Syndrome. He is adorable and she adores him but he will face a lifetime of challenges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      I just looked through all my old pants after my pre-op pants started getting to big. Keep in mind that I wear men's pants (usually cargos) because I am so tall 5'10"/5'11" ish. I also find that men's baggies tend to fit me better.
      I started out at a 44 in waist pant and quickly found that I was back down to my 42's. So even when thise got to be too big, I had to start pulling old clothes out of storage. After finding my 38's, I thought that these would not yet fit, but when I tried them on, they fit perfectly. I also found some older pants that now fit better than I remembered. What a relief! It's not like I can pop down to the store like I could do in the US and the styles here in Sweden are all skinnt jeans which I cant stand. I also found some 36's, but I'm not mentally ready to try those on yet. The biggest challenge will be buying women's clothing again. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      slow and steady wins the race.  don't get discouraged and just keep at it. Let your sleeve do its job and try not to stress yourself out.
      hope you are all having a great summer and enjoying what your sleeve has given you.
      just got back from a wedding in OR. and man am i afraid to get on the scale  
      · 2 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Fascinating! Thank you!

      2. Krestel

        Great reminder about how fast you can lose weight. The mind games we play with ourselves are the worst.

    • TinaLeo  »  mombrown35

      I had ESG on July 1st down  15 lbs at weigh in July 11th
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • debra102364

      The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
      Eleanor Roosevelt
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Lynda486

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×