Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting ALL OVER, can it be done? 4 yrs out RNY

Hello people!

I'm 4 years out from RNY, lost 35 pounds total (non compliance) and am very, very eager to start over. My hubby is going to go on the South Beach Diet (prescribed by Surgeon) WITH me, so support, support, support. ❤️ We've started to eat better already, but for financial bs that will be resolved on July 3, we will be starting full on that day. So, I'm refreshing up on what I'm to do as a WLS patient. I haven't seen my surgeon in years due to, 1. Financial inability, 2. Shame, and 3. He had said some awful things about my various severe mental health issues that exacerbated the issues. I'm in very active psychotherapy. But, I will go back when I can come up with the money. I can't make up money that I don't/won't have. But anyway. I have a question, let me set it up.

For years, I've been eating, drinking and consuming an average persons amount of food with no problems. On many occasions I filled my stomach with larger amounts of food that an RNY should not have held. I seriously want to eat bariatric portions now. If my stomach accepted volumes of food above the amount they/and you say should not fit, will a bariatric portion be enough? Or have I stretched my stomach. I've heard both sides on stretching pouches, don't know what to believe as to if that actually happens long term. And, I'm not convinced about the so called pouch reset.

Can or should I revert to bariatric portions given this history?

Is it still possible for me, at 308 to shoot for losing over 150 pounds if I do all the right things, or have I ruined that possibility?

I am, for many reasons, chair bound most of the time except for my one day a week security officer job. We are joining the YMCA (pool) for "self physical therapy". Several docs working on my physical issues to get me mobile. I MUST lose a lot of weight in adjunct to surgeries, orthopedic devices and medication to get less painfully mobile.

Any comments? Please, no hostility.

Welcome or welcome back! Good job on teaming up with the spouse to tackle the issues you face with food choices.

The ONLY way to really know the capacity of your pouch is to do a barium swallow test, an internist can order one or even a GP, tell them you have heartburn, etc. A pouch reset is not that valid, it's more like a head reset than anything else. Yes, the pouch can and will stretch because the fundus part that stretches is still there. Also your esophagus can stretch too. You can get the pouch sleeved. It might be an option.

You could also ease into intermittent fasting along with doing South Beach. I am not that familiar with the South Beach diet per se. Why not just dig out your bariatric guidelines and start there with Portion Control - small plates, measure/weigh food, record what you are eating. Many of is use free apps on our phones to track - Baritastic, My Fitness Pal, or Lose it are all free. See which one you like.

Thank you Sose....

I uploaded My Fitness Pal. Now to figure it out!

2 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Welcome or welcome back! Good job on teaming up with the spouse to tackle the issues you face with food choices.

The ONLY way to really know the capacity of your pouch is to do a barium swallow test, an internist can order one or even a GP, tell them you have heartburn, etc. A pouch reset is not that valid, it's more like a head reset than anything else. Yes, the pouch can and will stretch because the fundus part that stretches is still there. Also your esophagus can stretch too. You can get the pouch sleeved. It might be an option.

You could also ease into intermittent fasting along with doing South Beach. I am not that familiar with the South Beach diet per se. Why not just dig out your bariatric guidelines and start there with Portion Control - small plates, measure/weigh food, record what you are eating. Many of is use free apps on our phones to track - Baritastic, My Fitness Pal, or Lose it are all free. See which one you like.

Can you explain Sleeving the pouch for me?

I am not a physician, so this is not medical advice.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550728915002865

Or they can make your pouch smaller. But honestly you have to start by getting an exam, then you will know if you have enlarged the pouch, enlarged your esophagus, have a hernia or whatever.