Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK guys maybe I’m just pessimistic (I stress maybe) but am I the only one who has found this surgery to be a complete B*TCH?!

First off, waking up from surgery was legitimately one of the most painful experiences of my life. There was a grown man next to me, also waking up from his surgery (same type) crying from the pain. This has been an awful experience and I’m trying to understand why it isn’t highlighted to a patient before they actually go through with the whole process. I’m now on day 5 (hallelujah) and the gas pain (and holding down food without vomiting) is still there and it sucks. If I had known what I was truly about to get myself into, I wouldn’t have done this. I literally woke up from surgery in such extreme pain that I screamed out “are u Fing kidding me?!?!”. I know better days are ahead but can someone also agree with me that this is NOT pleasant? Or is it just me? Everyone seems so “woohoo” about this and I’m More like “wth?!”

Hmm that’s odd and unfortunate. I think it could have to do with your surgeons technique?? Waking up was super difficult for me but no pain that is memorable (8 weeks out). I think many factors are involved with how a person recovers. I would speak to your doctor and just be frank. You can ask what do they feel are the reasons your pain was higher than what you’ve discovered is ‘typical’.

Hi Hopeful! I’m sorry you’re having this experience. I can identify with you that the pain is VERY alarming. I too woke up in excruciating pain and immediately requested for pain medication... the actually told me later on that I told them my pain was a 1000 on a scale of 1-10 lmao
I think folks who have had the surgery and experienced pain should be more transparent about it. Yes it’s an awesome and life changing surgery, but there is a lot of pain. I’m 3 days post op, and I’m still having to take the narcotics I was prescribed even though I tried taking extra strength Tylenol to manage the pain to no avail. I also have gas pains, neck, shoulder, and back pain that I use a heating pad on. These are the realities for some of us. Some ppl might truthfully not have any pain. But I know it’s only for a while and I look forward to when all of this would be worth it! I really hope you feel better!!

Everyone responds to surgery and pain differently. I had a revision from band to rny and didn’t have any real issues. As far as I recall my pain was well controlled, I had a pump that I could press when I needed to.

Even when I had a problem a couple of hours later where my BP went through the floor and I had to be taken back into surgery I wasn’t in pain. Cold, light headed, felt like I was fading but no pain.

Waking up after the second op in ICU I still don’t recall being in pain. I just remember thinking I’m alive and being very happy about that. I had the pump things on my legs, a catheter so I didn’t have to get up and a lovely nurse . I did however feel as though I had been hit by a bus in terms of energy etc and felt like that for a good couple of weeks after the op.

As for it not being pleasant well that is to be expected, you just got anaesthetised and your body cut up and rearranged, you didn’t spend the day at a spa!

Let your nurses know when you are in pain so that they can give you painkillers. All the best , hope you feel heaps better soon

1 hour ago, HopefulonLI said:

First off, waking up from surgery was legitimately one of the most painful experiences of my life. There was a grown man next to me, also waking up from his surgery (same type) crying from the pain. This has been an awful experience and I’m trying to understand why it isn’t highlighted to a patient before they actually go through with the whole process. I’m now on day 5 (hallelujah) and the gas pain (and holding down food without vomiting) is still there and it sucks. If I had known what I was truly about to get myself into, I wouldn’t have done this. I literally woke up from surgery in such extreme pain that I screamed out “are u Fing kidding me?!?!”. I know better days are ahead but can someone also agree with me that this is NOT pleasant? Or is it just me? Everyone seems so “woohoo” about this and I’m More like “wth?!”

Sorry you were not expecting pain and the medication is not helping you.

We all have different pain thresholds with any type of surgery. My pain was minor and well controlled with medication. Giving birth was a more painful experience than having my sleeve done.

like the above poster, I had very little pain. Although people are all across the board on this, it seems like most have little if any pain - so sorry you're one of the unlucky ones. My plastic surgery was MUCH more painful than my RNY was (and a much tougher recovery - yikes!!)

Sorry to hear about your pain. Mine was not as bad. Keep alternating the pain medication with Tylenol. I used a lot of ice on my tummy area. This really helped me. Try gasx for the bloating, I think you can take 4 a day. It does get better, make sure you don’t get dehydrated. Good luck.

3 hours ago, HopefulonLI said:

I am sorry you were in such pain. I understand where you are coming from. I literally had to ask the nurses for medication in my ivy because my pain was unbearable. I think they were holding out as long as possible. But I did go home with a prescription that helped out tremendously. I think everyone has a different experience because my husband did this surgery a few years ago and went back to work after a few days. I was out for 3 weeks. I also had second thoughts afterwards and still feel minor pain in my abdomen after 6 weeks. I will say that it does get better. I wish you the best.

Oh yes waking up was the worst pain ever! Id say it was more painful than my c section recovery. I was crying and could hardly keep my eyes open and talk because of the pain was so bad. My husband kept saying to the nurse is this normal is she ok. No one told me all the BS. I didnt ask more questions i didnt know so much. The Docter said its minimally invasive surgery recovery goes by in a flash. I call BS! I regret everyday i had this surgery done. I hope to be one of the people on here that finally get to there goal and say it was the best thing they ever did. My fingers are crossed!

Waking up from surgery was the worst pain I have ever experienced and I had natural child birth! I know the hospital did a poor job of pain management and many other things for my stay. My pain threshold is very high but when they do a poor job of managing the pain from the onset, it becomes very difficult to ever get in front of it. I didn't have much relief until day 3.

I woke up in pain, complained, and they switched me to something else. They sent me home with 10 Oxys and I didn’t need them. Once I was out of the hospital (I stayed for two nights) the pain was manageable without medication.

I woke up and was screaming at the nurse for no good reason. It was extremely painful. God bless her patience (though with a little attitude). I had a hiatal hernia fixed which is right under the sternum. That actually hurt more than the stomach surgery! I sent the lady flowers apologizing for my rudeness, but then again, they don't prepare you for the pain or discomfort of not being able to move.

Sent from my F8131 using BariatricPal mobile app

i guess its different for everybody, i didn't feel much pain after i woke up, and when they discharged me, they gave me painkillers that i never had to use.

but the guy next to me was CRYING and screaming for his life, he BEGGED the nurse for more painkillers.

so i don't know.

Well we all are built differently, makes the World 🌎 a less boring. It,makes Our Pain Thresholds different, stands to reason, doesn't it?