Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering for any of you who have gotten surgery far away from home where yall scare something happened to you example.(complications days or weeks after surgery, blood clots or any sort of things that you didnt expect to happen after surgery. I'm scared that after I get surgery weeks later something happens that i cant travel right back to my surgeon since we are so far away from the u.s to Mexico

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Never us did I feel worried. Relatively very safe procedure. I went to DR ARIEL ORTIZ at OCC. Top notch. I did a lot of research as an R.N. the facility is JCI accredited which is very important when choosing a facility I was sleeved May 21st. Absolutely no issues

I was wondering for any of you who have gotten surgery far away from home where yall scare something happened to you example.(complications days or weeks after surgery, blood clots or any sort of things that you didnt expect to happen after surgery. I'm scared that after I get surgery weeks later something happens that i cant travel right back to my surgeon since we are so far away from the u.s to Mexico
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I also went to Mexico and had mine done at OCC by Dr. Ariel Ortiz on June 12th 2019. My experience was fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I want to have mine done in Mexico, with Dr. Illan, but not getting a lot of support from friends and family, the most common response is "If you have that done in Mexico, there isn't a doctor in the US that will touch you if something goes wrong" Anybody had this happen? I have checked with my primary care and he has agreed to do the bloodwork follow ups, I guess I am wondering if another surgery is needed.

I want to have mine done in Mexico, with Dr. Illan, but not getting a lot of support from friends and family, the most common response is "If you have that done in Mexico, there isn't a doctor in the US that will touch you if something goes wrong" Anybody had this happen? I have checked with my primary care and he has agreed to do the bloodwork follow ups, I guess I am wondering if another surgery is needed.
Hi Sladley, the best thing you could have done is get your PCP on board, his/her support is imperative. Now the most important part of this surgery is finding a well know Dr. you can trust over there. I did months and months of research before I chose Dr. Ariel Ortiz, thank God both him and the outcome of my surgery came our fantastic. I also showed my family and friends were also scared like yours, but after I showed them all my surgeons reviews on Google reviews, Yelp and realself every went on board and started supporting. If your surgery goes well, you should be fine and will not need any additional surgeries or procedures once you come back to the USA.

I agree 100% with the other comment. I haven't gone to my pcp after surgery because I'm only 5 weeks out. They recommend labs in 7 to 8 months. I do t anticipate an issue. People have negative impressions of Mexico. When they don't even have the whole story. Dr Ariel Ortiz at OCC is wonderful. Can't say anything negative about the facility. I've heard good things about your Dr as well. My husband became more supportive after I explained the health aspects . Less knee pain, feeling better. Improved cholesterol, more energy. If u have blood pressure or diabetes it will improve.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, Sladley said:

I am going with Dr Illan this month after reviewing a lot of doctors this year. I know only the best surgeries are uploaded to youtube but his are beautiful. I say that as one who has been in an OR. I only say that to let you know the doctor you chose is good too.

The main reason for the reply is that there are good bariatric surgeons who will follow you in the states. Make sure to do your research on the doctor, get all medical records in hand and a copy of the surgery film if possible. Dr Illan has flash drives for purchase I read somewhere, or bring your own. Call local doctors and inquire if they will do follow up. Things are changing. Best wishes. Family is just worried for you. Again research a lot.

I am going with dr illan this month after reviewing a lot of doctors this year. I know only the best surgeries are uploaded to youtube but his are beautiful. I say that as one who has been in an OR. I only say that to let you know the doctor you chose is good too.
The main reason for the reply is that there are good bariatric surgeons who will follow you in the states. Make sure to do your research on the doctor, get all medical records in hand and a copy of the surgery film if possible. Dr Illan has flash drives for purchase I read somewhere, or bring your own. Call local doctors and inquire if they will do follow up. Things are changing. Best wishes. Family is just worried for you. Again research a lot.

@tldolphin777, I wish you all the best. I am a health professional myself and also work both in the OR and in a clinical setting treating patients. I did lots of research before I carefully chose Dr. Ariel Ortiz. Keep us all updated with how everything goes post OP with you. I am over 45 days post VSG and my experience so far has been fantastic.

On 06/26/2019 at 12:49, Sladley said:

I know my Bariatric Clinic works with patients that were done in Mexico, specifically patients with complications.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:30 AM, Ninabnina77 said:

@tldolphin777, I wish you all the best. I am a health professional myself and also work both in the OR and in a clinical setting treating patients. I did lots of research before I carefully chose Dr. Ariel Ortiz. Keep us all updated with how everything goes post OP with you. I am over 45 days post VSG and my experience so far has been fantastic.

Thats awsome!! So happy it is going well for you! Very good Dr as well from what I saw.

I worried about this as well and am currently looking at Medical Tourism complication insurance. I found this company but am continuing to research it. It does give me some peace of mind as I'm not sure if my insurance would cover complications related to a procedure that they don't cover. But I also am not too worried, as complications are extremely rare!

https://www.globalprotectivesolutions.com/individual-and-companion-travel-accident/