Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda concerned about the psychological evaluation. I am diagnosed with Bipolar but don't have the highs and lows. I am afraid once he sees that he won't approve me. My provider for mental health said for me to not be disappointed if they say no. That makes me nervous, they act your crazy and can't make rash decisions. I am aware of the emotional aspect of depression after the surgery. I think I will be fine. Is there anything that you have learned from your evaulations that could prepare me?

Hi. I have Bipolar disorder type 1, and a past history of anorexia, so I was very worried as well about not getting approved. It went very well, and I wad approved. All the psychiatrist wanted to know was if I was stable on my meds. (I was, and I never had any manic episodes), and if I had support for after the surgery. I was completely honest with her, and it went fine. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

there are a lot of people with bipolar disorder who've had WLS surgery...

Hey Briswife, they asked me on my first visit if I was Bi-Polar? Worried for months until I saw that person again, turns out it was just a part of her questionaire,just like that blasted Depression one they keep giving me-- I wish they would stop. " How many times this week have you thought about killing yourself?" Will they be disappointed if I haven't? Like the old joke
Person #1 So what did you do this weekend? Person#2 Why? What did you hear?

Like you I was diagnosed with bipolar years ago. The mental evaluation is want pushed my surgery back 5 months. So to move things along I did what my husband told me to do. I just went in played like I was happy and agreed with everything they said. Made sure I was early to all the appointments and answered the phq9 and gad7 like I had no worries. It's dumb that they think just because you want to help yourself get healthier something is wrong with you. Good luck. The only advice I can give you is do not go in there and spill your guts because they use it as a reason to say no or push thing back even more.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

there are a lot of people with bipolar disorder who've had WLS surgery...
That's good to know

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey Briswife, they asked me on my first visit if I was Bi-Polar? Worried for months until I saw that person again, turns out it was just a part of her questionaire,just like that blasted Depression one they keep giving me-- I wish they would stop. " How many times this week have you thought about killing yourself?" Will they be disappointed if I haven't? Like the old joke
Person #1 So what did you do this weekend? Person#2 Why? What did you hear?
Regular therapy sounds like it to me. Thanks

Like you I was diagnosed with bipolar years ago. The mental evaluation is want pushed my surgery back 5 months. So to move things along I did what my husband told me to do. I just went in played like I was happy and agreed with everything they said. Made sure I was early to all the appointments and answered the phq9 and gad7 like I had no worries. It's dumb that they think just because you want to help yourself get healthier something is wrong with you. Good luck. The only advice I can give you is do not go in there and spill your guts because they use it as a reason to say no or push thing back even more.

That's sounds like good advice. Because I would go in and so I everything. Can't keep my big mouth shut.

That was my issue, but for some people they don't have trouble with the evaluation. That is of you don't get a quack.

For real. No quack please. You did get your surgery didn't you?

If you go to the doctor that works with the WLS chances are really good you'll be approved, as they want further referrals. They are really only looking for those that think the surgery is the magic pill to fix life. It isn't you'll have other issues to face. I found my shield of invisibility was dropped and people actually saw me for the first time. People have a way of ignoring overweight people. Then there was the non-supporters the ones who aren't happy with your success

Something I should take to heart myself:
EMBRACE THE BEST; LEARN TO IGNORE THE REST!
Was on my motivational app this AM.😝

Hi. I have Bipolar disorder type 1, and a past history of anorexia, so I was very worried as well about not getting approved. It went very well, and I wad approved. All the psychiatrist wanted to know was if I was stable on my meds. (I was, and I never had any manic episodes), and if I had support for after the surgery. I was completely honest with her, and it went fine. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks. That's helpful.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:49 AM, othella2 said:

I had my evaulation I will get my results in the next 2 wks. The little consultation of how much you know about the Gastric Sleeve, the diets you done in the past and your support system, it was ok. Then came this stupid paper test. It was like I was back in school. I had several packets that were shade in the circles, types of tests, never did good with tests. It was math type questions and reading. I guess if your not smart, your not smart enough to follow the diet. Then did a personality type test, then a mental. The quiz, test whatever you want to call it. Let's call it a questionnaire, I don't know it took 2hrs. I felt like my brain was about to bust. I am not sure how I did.