Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I had the Sleeve done in 2013 I lost 90 pounds now I’ve almost gained it all back. I’m thinking of doing a revision but not sure what would be best for me. Has anyone gone through this and if so any success in your end result?

I remember telling myself I will never let myself gain this weight back, because it wasn’t that easy to lose. I told myself all I have to do is exercise and eat small portions. But gradually it became easier and easier to get the food and the wine down and the exercise became non existent . I basically could eat anything. I totally blame myself because the food took over my life once again and it beat me. It’s a horrible feeling and I kick myself everyday!! Feeling defeated makes you turn to food even more. I have to get my head right . I’ve started exercising and dieting again. I will be going back to the surgeon to see what my options are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember telling myself I will never let myself gain this weight back, because it wasn’t that easy to lose. I told myself all I have to do is exercise and eat small portions. But gradually it became easier and easier to get the foodand the wine down and the exercise became non existent . I basically could eat anything. I totally blame myself because the food took over my life once again and it beat me. It’s a horrible feeling and I kick myself everyday!! Feeling defeated makes you turn to food even more. Ihave to get my head right . I’ve started exercising anddieting again. I will be going back to the surgeon to see what my options are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your tool should still work. It'll take going back to the basics - Protein first, then non-starchy vegetables. Limit fruit and whole-grain carbs. Avoid simple carbs. Weigh, measure, and log everything you eat. No drinking with eating. I haven't gained all my weight back, but there have been a couple of times when 10 lbs snuck on that I had to take off. It takes a lot longer than it does immediately after WLS, but with hard work, it DOES come off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not being mean here, but my question is this . . . if the tool of surgery didn't work the first time, why would a revision work the second time? It's all in your hands now, isn't it? To eat the right number of calories and to exercise are still going to be your job after WLS. I think you can do it. Do a pouch reset. Eat 600-800 calories/day. Get out and walk. Drink that 64 oz of Water each day. Eat your Protein first. Go back to the basics and I'll bet you can get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, colcol said:

I remember telling myself I will never let myself gain this weight back, because it wasn’t that easy to lose. I told myself all I have to do is exercise and eat small portions. But gradually it became easier and easier to get the foodand the wine down and the exercise became non existent . I basically could eat anything. I totally blame myself because the food took over my life once again and it beat me. It’s a horrible feeling and I kick myself everyday!! Feeling defeated makes you turn to food even more. Ihave to get my head right . I’ve started exercising anddieting again. I will be going back to the surgeon to see what my options are.

I guess I should have been more specific. You have reposted the same question about your regain situation. Two threads of the same post with several people giving advice.

Here is the link to the first time you posted this question.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/425456-gastric-sleeve-revision/?tab=comments#comment-4777993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Grady, If your mindset failed you first time around, you have to get that set before you seek out another surgery. Try doing the reset first and get back on track before you go for another surgery. I believe you can do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 day pouch reset may be a good restart for some. Good advice.

Some other things to think about.

It doesn't adress the the mental side of staying on plan. It also may be too restrictive if you are years out, have extra sleeve space and are trying to trouble shoot hunger, you may want to try other options. some do keto. Intermittent fasting, vegan. It may be trial and error to find what works for each of us.

Trouble shooting extra sleeve space. I eat dense Protein and other foods on my plan. I eat as much veggies as I want until full. I log to make sure I stay within my weight loss calorie and macros

Years out weightloss calories may have to be dialed in specifically to the individual. 600 to 800 calories is not realistic for me years out.

Maintenance phase is a different animal.
Getting back into weight loss mode after a weight gain is not a one size fits all.


Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, colcol said:

I remember telling myself I will never let myself gain this weight back, because it wasn’t that easy to lose. I told myself all I have to do is exercise and eat small portions. But gradually it became easier and easier to get the foodand the wine down and the exercise became non existent . I basically could eat anything. I totally blame myself because the food took over my life once again and it beat me. It’s a horrible feeling and I kick myself everyday!! Feeling defeated makes you turn to food even more. Ihave to get my head right . I’ve started exercising anddieting again. I will be going back to the surgeon to see what my options are.

you must use your tool and not misuse stop beating yourself up and seek some help though counseling as well i know it has helped me be a better person to myself we are are worst critics as you know support groups may help as well and go back to that 800-900 calories a day and Protein is first and Water dont forget to walk and you could be back on track as well hope nothing but the best of results for you cheers you are already reaching out for the help keep going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I'm not being mean here, but my question is this . . . if the tool of surgery didn't work the first time, why would a revision work the second time?

1) Because a revision to another method might indeed be helpful.

2) Because sometimes people need a second chance to get things right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

5 day pouch reset may be a good restart for some. Good advice.

Some other things to think about.

It doesn't adress the the mental side of staying on plan. It also may be too restrictive if you are years out, have extra sleeve space and are trying to trouble shoot hunger, you may want to try other options. some do keto. Intermittent fasting, vegan. It may be trial and error to find what works for each of us.

Trouble shooting extra sleeve space. I eat dense Protein and other foods on my plan. I eat as much veggies as I want until full. I log to make sure I stay within my weight loss calorie and macros

Years out weightloss calories may have to be dialed in specifically to the individual. 600 to 800 calories is not realistic for me years out.

Maintenance phase is a different animal.
Getting back into weight loss mode after a weight gain is not a one size fits all.


Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree with everything she said. I think it's good to go back to basics (dense Protein first, then lots of non-starchy veggies - they're both very filling!!). I couldn't do 600-800 kcal this far out. It would be way too restrictive for me, and I'd just be setting myself up for a binge. Everyone's caloric needs are different. I start losing weight if I drop down to 1500 or below - but YMMV. Start tracking your food and see where you're averaging calorie-wise, and then drop down 100-200 calories and see if you start to lose. If a week or two goes by and you're not losing anything, then drop down another 100-200 calories. Rinse and repeat. A lot of it is trial and error. At some point, you'll find your sweet spot where you start losing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 3:56 PM, catwoman7 said:

I agree with everything she said. I think it's good to go back to basics (dense Protein first, then lots of non-starchy veggies - they're both very filling!!). I couldn't do 600-800 kcal this far out. It would be way too restrictive for me, and I'd just be setting myself up for a binge. Everyone's caloric needs are different. I start losing weight if I drop down to 1500 or below - but YMMV. Start tracking your food and see where you're averaging calorie-wise, and then drop down 100-200 calories and see if you start to lose. If a week or two goes by and you're not losing anything, then drop down another 100-200 calories. Rinse and repeat. A lot of it is trial and error. At some point, you'll find your sweet spot where you start losing again.

This seems like sensible advice. With respect to some people giving advice that are still only 5 or 6 months post-op (like me), telling someone that is 7 years post op to drop down to 800 calories a day is not good advice and it's not reasonable. It's easy to say that when you have lots of restriction. I am 5 months out and I couldn't live on 800 calories at this point--no f--ing way!!! I am eating at least 1500 a day, but I am eating healthy and I am working out 2 hours a day. It's working well for me and I am pretty much where I want to be in terms of weight and health. However, I know that if I am not careful I could end up back where I was before surgery and I would want to get back to where I am now by any means necessary.

As for the pouch reset, I guess it can't hurt. However, there's no evidence that the so-called "pouch reset" actually does anything to reset your "pouch"--which we don't even have since that is a RNY thing. Also, to say it's OP's fault for not following the guidelines after 7 years is very unfair. Sh!t happens!!! 7 years is a long time and any of us can end up in OP's position. The fact is the VSG is great, but it's not enough for everyone. There are other procedures that may be better for OP and that's for her and her doctor to discuss. Revision exists because a high percentage of bariatric patients regain for lots of different reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Steve

The last couple of years it’s been a struggle Life happens! l would gain and I kept saying oh I can lose the 3 pounds not a problem oh I can lose the 5 pounds not a problem and so on and so on 😩 I kick myself !

Right now I’m doing 1200 calories a day trying to change my ways. I have an appointment with my surgeon will see what my options are.

It sounds like you have a great mind set don’t lose that!

Good luck on your journey 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found if I was slipping I went on the pre-surgery and post-surgery diet for a month. You need to cleanse your system of carbs, sugars and the other junk. Then you buy only healthy food, and you learn to respect your body and only allow good food to enter. Another trick is to eat half and pour Water over the rest. Don't take it home. Just a few facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×