Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So, here's the deal. I had RNY gastric bypass 20 years ago. I probably lost about 80lbs, I remember distinctly never weighing less than 200lbs. In the last 20 years, I've gained all of the weight back. About 5 years ago, I found out that WLS could be revised. After some research, I recently decided to pursue a revision. I have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled this Friday.

I would like to hear from anyone who had an RNY gastric bypass revised. What was the experience like? What procedure did your surgeon choose for you? Tell me about your outcomes.

Thank in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to follow this as I have not yet heard of a bypass being revised.

Good luck in whatever you choose. The weight loss battle is a very difficult one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There weren't many options. The only surgical option presented was a possible procedure to decrease the size of the pouch, and that was if the pouch is enlarged. I was advised that this procedure would provide some moderate weight loss (40-50lbs).

The estimated weight loss didn't seem to justify the cost, the loss of wages, and the recovery. I'm sad. I feel unsure where to go from here. There was a suggestion to see a dietician and perhaps I should do that.

Thanks for listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about trying the pouch reset? It is said that if you go back to where you were right after surgery, start with just liquid, move on to soft food, etc, you can reset your pouch.

Search on the 5 day reset ( I think that is the right wording)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

So, here's the deal. I had RNY gastric bypass 20 years ago. I probably lost about 80lbs, I remember distinctly never weighing less than 200lbs. In the last 20 years, I've gained all of the weight back. About 5 years ago, I found out that WLS could be revised. After some research, I recently decided to pursue a revision. I have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled this Friday.

I would like to hear from anyone who had an RNY gastric bypass revised. What was the experience like? What procedure did your surgeon choose for you? Tell me about your outcomes.

Thank in advance

Hello, I'm scheduled to have a revision of my RNY Thursday May 9, I had my original surgery 2/2010, my surgeon has chosen to make my pouch and stoma smaller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Losingit2018 said:

Have you thought about trying the pouch reset? It is said that if you go back to where you were right after surgery, start with just liquid, move on to soft food, etc, you can reset your pouch.

Search on the 5 day reset ( I think that is the right wording)

I haven't heard about this. Thank you for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, LuvLeeMe83 said:

Hello, I'm scheduled to have a revision of my RNY Thursday May 9, I had my original surgery 2/2010, my surgeon has chosen to make my pouch and stoma smaller

I'm curious, what kind of weight loss (amount) is the surgeon predicting for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

I haven't heard about this. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm curious, what kind of weight loss (amount) is the surgeon predicting for you?

On 5/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

I haven't heard about this. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm curious, what kind of weight loss (amount) is the surgeon predicting for you?

Well he have predicted I will loose more than 45% of my weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LuvLeeMe83 said:

Well he have predicted I will loose more than 45% of my weight

Has your pouch stretched or was it made too big to begin with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met with a surgeon last week about revision surgery. I had RNY over 20 years ago. I have gained almost all the weight back that I lost. The surgeon I met with suggest a laparoscopic plication to reduce the pouch size and also he will reduce the stoma. Then he will put lap-band over it but not use the lap-band and may never. He said the chances of me stretching the pouch again are high so the lap-band would be there and be ready for if and when i stop losing weight. Some surgeons here offer the revision with an endoscopic procedure to reduce the pouch size but have read that the weight loss is minimal and within a year ill be back gaining weight. The surgeon I met with last week explained he doesnt do the procedure that way anymore because of the low success rate. I haven't decided what I will do yet, still researching but if I go with the surgeon i met last week it will be all out of network so I want to make sure its the best choice of procedure since it will be costly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone-- This is my story!!!! I was 398 lbs and had gastric bypass RNY on 11/30/2009. I lost 200lbs. I had a baby in March 2017 and gained weight with the pregnancy and have been struggling to return to my pre-pregnancy weight of 213.

My surgeon will reduce my pouch (stretched 3 times it's the surgical size) and reduce my stoma (also stretched). My surgery is on July 15th. I am doing a 3-week liquid diet to get ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, LuvLeeMe83 said:

Well he have predicted I will loose more than 45% of my weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2019 at 9:28 AM, LostFound21 said:

I met with a surgeon last week about revision surgery. I had RNY over 20 years ago. I have gained almost all the weight back that I lost. The surgeon I met with suggest a laparoscopic plication to reduce the pouch size and also he will reduce the stoma. Then he will put lap-band over it but not use the lap-band and may never. He said the chances of me stretching the pouch again are high so the lap-band would be there and be ready for if and when i stop losing weight. Some surgeons here offer the revision with an endoscopic procedure to reduce the pouch size but have read that the weight loss is minimal and within a year ill be back gaining weight. The surgeon I met with last week explained he doesnt do the procedure that way anymore because of the low success rate. I haven't decided what I will do yet, still researching but if I go with the surgeon i met last week it will be all out of network so I want to make sure its the best choice of procedure since it will be costly.

I am wondering what you decided to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2019 at 9:45 PM, 2ndTimeFreedom said:

Hello Everyone-- This is my story!!!! I was 398 lbs and had gastric bypass RNY on 11/30/2009. I lost 200lbs. I had a baby in March 2017 and gained weight with the pregnancy and have been struggling to return to my pre-pregnancy weight of 213.

My surgeon will reduce my pouch (stretched 3 times it's the surgical size) and reduce my stoma (also stretched). My surgery is on July 15th. I am doing a 3-week liquid diet to get ready.

Please keep us posted. I am getting scoped on Tuesday and May be in the same boat as you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update- I just had an endoscopy performed. We found out the pouch is quite large and there is a fistula connecting the pouch to the remnant stomach. This info is being presented to the insurance, and hopefully the revision is approved.

Prior to the procedure I decided to pursue the revision despite the predicted results. I felt like I owed myself the opportunity to try again. In the interim, I've been meeting with a nutritionist to improve my eating habits.

Im happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update. I have a feeling that my pouch is stretched as well. I will find out tomorrow for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Arabesque

      Today I said I’m an XS or size 8 (Aust) at a clothing store. I never thought I’d say those words and say them with confidence. And when I commented a dress was too big on me I was told it was the smallest size. As was the belt I wanted. 
       
      I tried on a slim fitting singlet dress yesterday & was shocked to realise the lumpy bits on the dress were my hip bones. I have an hour glass shape so I always had hips but never ones that stuck out on the front of my body! 

      I’ve been a size 10 before - for about 5 minutes. While I am now confident about saying I’m an 8, clothes shopping is all still a bit freaky for me. It’s not that I’m focussed on the size on the label. I’m well aware the cut/line of the clothes and the designer’s style will dictate what size I need or if it will suit my body shape. The size is the starting point & it’s starting at an 8/XS/38 which is a big mind set change. It’s thinking a pair of pants will be too small & discovering they are almost too big. 

      While I’m still coming to terms with my actual new body shape and size, I’m very happy to be in this new reality. 
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Meal replacement shakes are soooooo good when you have a sore throat and don't feel good enough to cook. Plus, I always have lots of them at home. So I'm not tempted to grab crap from McDonalds (which has the best cold "medication"). 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Arabesque

      This morning I had an abdominal ultra sound because apparently my cholesterol keeps rising.
      I don’t get it. My cholesterol was always fine & now when I eat less of everything & have lost weight it starts to go up.

      My intake of fats & oils has decreased (not that I was a big fried food person before anyway) & not just because I eat way less. Always cut the fat of meats, still don’t eat bacon, use spray olive oil instead of regular oil. Even the tub of butter in my fridge has been there since before May. Lol.
      I just don’t get it? Is it because I don’t eat anywhere near the amount of vegetables I ate before? It surely can’t be because I eat a piece of cheese every day which I didn’t before? Are all my hormones screwed up? 
      Sigh! 
      · 3 replies
      1. Krestel

        Cholesterol seems to be odd that way. I've got a suuuuper skinny brother-in-law who has sky high cholesterol. So don't let the whole "overweight" thing fool you. They seem to find it in people who have the genetic predispositions for it nowadays it seems. Our bodies are really still a mystery of how they react to certain changes. Just keep at it and keep talking to your doctor. Who knows, you could be a medical mystery?!? Embrace the challenge.

        https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/cholesterol/about-cholesterol/common-misconceptions-about-cholesterol

        Think of it this way, you now have an excuse to try ostrich meat! http://safariostrich.co.za/2016/06/ostrich-meat-benefits/

        PS. Gah hormones!

      2. Arabesque

        My dietician thinks it may be the regulatory hormones too & that my liver & gall could be having a freak out from the weight loss. It may be causing my low BP too. Hopefully the abdominal ultra sound will show something when I get the results.
        My maternal grandmother had issues which developed in her 70s but she’s the only one. No heart probs, no cholesterol worries in any one else (incl 13 aunts & uncles & my parents) - cancer seems to be our worry - sad face. And they still live into the 80s & 90s.
        Just strange that for 53 yrs my levels have been normal & 6months of weight loss & it’s now high.
        Don’t know about eating ostrich though that could just be burying my head in the sand - tee hee hee.

      3. Arabesque

        PS - My menopausal symptoms are still MRI. Even with a 42.5 degree day (108F) last Friday not a twinge of a hot flush. Best non scale victory ever. Guess you win some hormonal battles but lose others.

        PPS - Wrapping Christmas presents with air con cranked up today even though it’s only 33C. Ho ho ho

    • SabrinaGoddess

      TOMORROW IS MY DAY!
      I am so very excited! My sister is here with me and my son. I am so excited. My anesthesiologist called me tonight to discuss our plans for tomorrow. I am not feeling nervous at all. Just excited for the future!
      I did buy a few bottles of CFpreop which is really suppose to help you stay hydrated. It's pricey but I feel it's worth it. I tried the Watermelon tonight. I have to stop all liquids after midnight and I go into the hospital at 5:30am for check in. My surgery is at 8am.
      SO HAPPY for this journey!
      You can get the CFpreop on Amazon if anyone is interested. It comes in Watermelon and White Grape.
      Read my night before thoughts on: www.SabrinaGoddess.com

      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💚💚💚💚Safe Surgery & Congratulations💚💚💚💚

    • GothGal

      Started mushies on Thursday.  Had to remind myself to eat slowly.....you fill up fast!;
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×