Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, here's the deal. I had RNY gastric bypass 20 years ago. I probably lost about 80lbs, I remember distinctly never weighing less than 200lbs. In the last 20 years, I've gained all of the weight back. About 5 years ago, I found out that WLS could be revised. After some research, I recently decided to pursue a revision. I have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled this Friday.

I would like to hear from anyone who had an RNY gastric bypass revised. What was the experience like? What procedure did your surgeon choose for you? Tell me about your outcomes.

Thank in advance

I am going to follow this as I have not yet heard of a bypass being revised.

Good luck in whatever you choose. The weight loss battle is a very difficult one.

There weren't many options. The only surgical option presented was a possible procedure to decrease the size of the pouch, and that was if the pouch is enlarged. I was advised that this procedure would provide some moderate weight loss (40-50lbs).

The estimated weight loss didn't seem to justify the cost, the loss of wages, and the recovery. I'm sad. I feel unsure where to go from here. There was a suggestion to see a dietician and perhaps I should do that.

Thanks for listening.

Have you thought about trying the pouch reset? It is said that if you go back to where you were right after surgery, start with just liquid, move on to soft food, etc, you can reset your pouch.

Search on the 5 day reset ( I think that is the right wording)

On 5/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

So, here's the deal. I had RNY gastric bypass 20 years ago. I probably lost about 80lbs, I remember distinctly never weighing less than 200lbs. In the last 20 years, I've gained all of the weight back. About 5 years ago, I found out that WLS could be revised. After some research, I recently decided to pursue a revision. I have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled this Friday.

I would like to hear from anyone who had an RNY gastric bypass revised. What was the experience like? What procedure did your surgeon choose for you? Tell me about your outcomes.

Thank in advance

Hello, I'm scheduled to have a revision of my RNY Thursday May 9, I had my original surgery 2/2010, my surgeon has chosen to make my pouch and stoma smaller

On 5/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Losingit2018 said:

Have you thought about trying the pouch reset? It is said that if you go back to where you were right after surgery, start with just liquid, move on to soft food, etc, you can reset your pouch.

Search on the 5 day reset ( I think that is the right wording)

I haven't heard about this. Thank you for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, LuvLeeMe83 said:

Hello, I'm scheduled to have a revision of my RNY Thursday May 9, I had my original surgery 2/2010, my surgeon has chosen to make my pouch and stoma smaller

I'm curious, what kind of weight loss (amount) is the surgeon predicting for you?

On 5/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

I'm curious, what kind of weight loss (amount) is the surgeon predicting for you?

On 5/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Notthe1sttime said:

Well he have predicted I will loose more than 45% of my weight

3 hours ago, LuvLeeMe83 said:

Well he have predicted I will loose more than 45% of my weight

Has your pouch stretched or was it made too big to begin with?

I met with a surgeon last week about revision surgery. I had RNY over 20 years ago. I have gained almost all the weight back that I lost. The surgeon I met with suggest a laparoscopic plication to reduce the pouch size and also he will reduce the stoma. Then he will put lap-band over it but not use the lap-band and may never. He said the chances of me stretching the pouch again are high so the lap-band would be there and be ready for if and when i stop losing weight. Some surgeons here offer the revision with an endoscopic procedure to reduce the pouch size but have read that the weight loss is minimal and within a year ill be back gaining weight. The surgeon I met with last week explained he doesnt do the procedure that way anymore because of the low success rate. I haven't decided what I will do yet, still researching but if I go with the surgeon i met last week it will be all out of network so I want to make sure its the best choice of procedure since it will be costly.

Hello Everyone-- This is my story!!!! I was 398 lbs and had gastric bypass RNY on 11/30/2009. I lost 200lbs. I had a baby in March 2017 and gained weight with the pregnancy and have been struggling to return to my pre-pregnancy weight of 213.

My surgeon will reduce my pouch (stretched 3 times it's the surgical size) and reduce my stoma (also stretched). My surgery is on July 15th. I am doing a 3-week liquid diet to get ready.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:28 AM, LostFound21 said:

I met with a surgeon last week about revision surgery. I had RNY over 20 years ago. I have gained almost all the weight back that I lost. The surgeon I met with suggest a laparoscopic plication to reduce the pouch size and also he will reduce the stoma. Then he will put lap-band over it but not use the lap-band and may never. He said the chances of me stretching the pouch again are high so the lap-band would be there and be ready for if and when i stop losing weight. Some surgeons here offer the revision with an endoscopic procedure to reduce the pouch size but have read that the weight loss is minimal and within a year ill be back gaining weight. The surgeon I met with last week explained he doesnt do the procedure that way anymore because of the low success rate. I haven't decided what I will do yet, still researching but if I go with the surgeon i met last week it will be all out of network so I want to make sure its the best choice of procedure since it will be costly.

I am wondering what you decided to do?

On 6/26/2019 at 9:45 PM, 2ndTimeFreedom said:

Hello Everyone-- This is my story!!!! I was 398 lbs and had gastric bypass RNY on 11/30/2009. I lost 200lbs. I had a baby in March 2017 and gained weight with the pregnancy and have been struggling to return to my pre-pregnancy weight of 213.

My surgeon will reduce my pouch (stretched 3 times it's the surgical size) and reduce my stoma (also stretched). My surgery is on July 15th. I am doing a 3-week liquid diet to get ready.

Please keep us posted. I am getting scoped on Tuesday and May be in the same boat as you are.

Update- I just had an endoscopy performed. We found out the pouch is quite large and there is a fistula connecting the pouch to the remnant stomach. This info is being presented to the insurance, and hopefully the revision is approved.

Prior to the procedure I decided to pursue the revision despite the predicted results. I felt like I owed myself the opportunity to try again. In the interim, I've been meeting with a nutritionist to improve my eating habits.

Im happy.

Thanks for the update. I have a feeling that my pouch is stretched as well. I will find out tomorrow for sure.