Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I need a general consensus on adherence to the pre-op diet. I’m on day three of just liquids, my surgery date is May 6th. The liquids bite, but it is what it is. My bff and I would really like to go out for one last sushi night on Friday and I’m wondering how much damage I’ll do if I stick to just fish and veggies? Is it worth it? Please send help!

Do you really think it’s a good idea to ask a bunch of strangers with no medical degree if it’s OK to go against your surgeon’s instructions? There’s a medical protocol for this surgery for a reason.

On 04/24/2019 at 18:54, toodlerue said:

Do you really think it’s a good idea to ask a bunch of strangers with no medical degree if it’s OK to go against your surgeon’s instructions? There’s a medical protocol for this surgery for a reason.
Just trying to gather opinions from others who have already been through this step and may have been in a similar place. I thought we were all here to support one another through this journey. Thanks for the input! 👍🏼

I don't see any problem with eating fish and veggies. My liquid allow Protein 4-6 oz protein with veggie or salad. Just make sure the fish is steam or baked and skip on the sauce or gravy. Its not like you are going to eat a big mac, or a pizza.

Good luck!

My pre-op was 2 shakes 2 Protein Bars and one small meal. I lost 16 lbs that week and we ate at Applebees. I just ate small amounts.

Good luck!

Ultimately, it is up to you on what you eat or not eat. Your success on this path you have chosen will be determined entirely by the decisions you make :) Good Luck!

I was too afraid to not follow surgeon's instructions to the letter, so I stuck with my pre-op diet.

The whole idea of a pre-op diet is to help shrink the liver plus shed a few lbs but also to set yourself up for your new life and new regime and to kick start your weight loss.

It is shown if you cheat during the honeymoon period post surgery it can have a huge effect on future weight loss because surgery resets everything inside for a new life and starting small with liquid and so on but some people seem to have issues grasping the whole seriousness of this surgery and that they have to change everything if they are to be successful not cheat here and there then wonder why Joe blow lost double you did! The people who commit to this mentally before surgery are the ones who lose 100lbs in 6 months and keep it off not the ones who decide to put 50% effort.. in the end it's your life.

PS if youre eating actual sushi rolls they are full of MSG and carbs and Salt but Goodluck!

California Roll, one 6-8 piece roll
Calories 255
Fat 7 g
Carbs 38 g
Fiber 6 g
Protein

9 g

On 04/25/2019 at 08:36, Mikeyy said:

The whole idea of a pre-op diet is to help shrink the liver plus shed a few lbs but also to set yourself up for your new life and new regime and to kick start your weight loss.

It is shown if you cheat during the honeymoon period post surgery it can have a huge effect on future weight loss because surgery resets everything inside for a new life and starting small with liquid and so on but some people seem to have issues grasping the whole seriousness of this surgery and that they have to change everything if they are to be successful not cheat here and there then wonder why Joe blow lost double you did! The people who commit to this mentally before surgery are the ones who lose 100lbs in 6 months and keep it off not the ones who decide to put 50% effort.. in the end it's your life.

PS if youre eating actual sushi rolls they are full of MSG and carbs and Salt but Goodluck!

California Roll, one 6-8 piece roll

Calories

Fat

7 g

Carbs

38 g

Fiber

6 g

Protein

9 g

I’m actually doing liquids of my own volition. I was given the option to do two shakes and a meal or just liquids. I felt that liquids are more regimented and I’m already down 7lbs. But thank you for the info on the sushi! It’s not my first time having it, I’m aware of the carbs and sodium in regular rolls.

Hey Surgery twin!

Im on pre op now and i just got off the phone with my nurse and she stated i can have unlimited seafood veggies and fruit but i have to make sure i hit my liquid goal. But honestly everybody bariatric office is different.

If i dont eat seafood she said i could have 4oz of lean meat everyday.

Edited by Dabeyhive