Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's benig banded on 11/20???

I'd be glad to hear any advice from you guys about what you would have done differently 5 days before surgery now that you have 20/20 hindsight vision.

Everyone again, thanks for the encouragment and remember me in

prayer come Thrusday (3rd January,08) morning.

Hey Ovahkummer - I'm glad to hear the tests are clear and you get your surgery on 1/3/08! What a terrific new years resolution for you!

As for something I might do differently, I agree with Hungryforchange about the caffiene, if you drink it, cut back.

Secondly, I woudln't purchase too much of the Protein supplements until you taste them and see how you like them. I've got a fridge full of Iso-Pure (which isn't bad, but the whey Protein gave me awful bad breath). I now get my protein via regular food sources. Just get enough protein replacements to last during your liquid phase.

Lastly, if you take the liquid pain releiver (which has codeine in it), be sure to have some Phillips Milk of Magnesia on hand (the codeine is very constipating and will make you even more uncomfortable).

God Bless you as you prepare for this surgery (which you've done once!). Please know that you will be in my prayers!

Firebolt,

I just wanted to say that you might be my body twin. :) We're about the same age. We were within 4 pounds of each other with our starting weight and we're both sitting at about the same current weight with about the same amount to lose and we were banded within one week of each other.

Hiya! :thumbs_up:

Everybody ready for their New Year's celebrations??

Crispy98a – Welcome! Congrats on doing so well over the holidays, it’s never easy. You’ll do a fine job with your son’s birthday party too.

Firebolt – I love your ‘1st fill’ story, it made me laugh. I have my fill on the 4th, I will remind myself of your story if I start freaking out.

Ovahkummer – I found you on SparkPeople - yipee! So glad to have another band-friend on there. As for doing anything differently, I really can’t think of anything – just follow your Dr.’s advice, and all should go smoothly. I’ll be praying for you on Jan. 3rd…best wishes. Please keep us posted!!

Hungryforchange – Sorry you had such trouble with caffeine withdrawals, know they can be horrible. I am so surprised that I didn’t go through that as well…

Hi Hungryforchange - looks like you're right! We are body doubles...Looks like we've even lost the same amt of weight so far! Guess we both got fed up with ourselves at about the same time - huh? LOL!

It started at a size 22/24. How about you?

Please keep us posted on how your doing & thanks for checkin' in!

Marissa,

I just looked at your ticker - 46 lbs down? Wow - You must be feeling so much better already. Are your clothes fitting differently? Please drop us a line and let us know how your feeling and some of the victories you've noticed now that you've dropped almost 50 lbs...

You are an inspiration to all of us!:clap2:

Judy

Judy and Ovakummer -

I have only (I'm not saying only like it's a bad thing) lost 24 lbs since surgery. I have lost 46 since I first began my pre-op diet in the summer. It feels so much more like a significant weight loss if I add it all together, don't you agree?

I have noticed a lot of changes in my body since I began my weight loss journey. Here's one story: I bought a pair of size 22 jeans the summer before last, at the time I was wearing 26's. I was trying to lose weight on my own with just diet and exercise, obviously unsuccessfully. I applied for the Biggest Loser, AND got a call back (wow!), I wanted to wear my new jeans for my 2nd audition, couldn't even get those friggin' jeans up over my bulging hips and thighs. I had really high hopes of being able to fit into those jeans, but it never happened, so I put them at the bottom of my 'jeans pile' and forgot about them. About 2 weeks ago I was doing my usual clothing inventory (I'm obsessive about organizing and getting rid of stuff), and I came across those size 22's...I thought, what the heck...let's give 'em a shot again. Holy cow, not only did they go up over my hips, but they zipped, and they were LOOSE, almost too loose...if it weren't for my belt, they'd be around my ankles. It's a miracle!!

I know 46 pounds doesn't seem like enough to have such a significant clothing size drop...but, I'm an Amazon (6'0, people!), so when I lose weight, it drops from everywhere. Yeah, baby! I'm still so excited about those big 'too small' jeans. I can't wait to buy the 20's, and then the 18's, and then, and then, and then.

:whoo: :clap2:

What are some of your non scale victories? I'd love to hear them!

It's good to see everyone doing so great as usual. However,it turns out that a celebrity around my parts is doing the surgery and he is making a documentary on it in order to bring about its awareness to other obese persons and to advertise the medical center. I had heard about it initially and wanted to be a part of it. However, no official word was given to them by me and they went ahead and rescheduled my surgery without even contacting me. I was so upset that I told them that I didn't want to be a part of it.

It will now be held tomorrow (Monday, 7th 08). I was told to come in for 9 am. My excitment has sinced gone and i just want to get this out of the way. Pray for me all...

Hi all,

Seems like a lot ofyou have had fills so far. I am having another fill today. I still do not feel restricted and have actually gained a pound. How should I feel if the "fill" is tight enough. Right now I can eat anything I want.

Ovakummer - I am so sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed once again. What a bummer. However, I think it's pretty cool that the celebrity chose to have surgery at the same medical center as you...that must mean it's an excellent facility! I hope your surgery went perfectly yesterday, I can't wait to hear how you're doing - please keep us posted!! I'm praying for you.

Towens - I haven't had my first fill yet. I was supposed to have it last Friday, but it was delayed until this Thursday due to my Dr. having surgeries scheduled. I don't think you should worry about gaining a pound just yet - your body has gone through so much in the past month and a half...give it time. I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job, keep it up!!

It will now be held tomorrow (Monday, 7th 08). I was told to come in for 9 am. My excitment has sinced gone and i just want to get this out of the way. Pray for me all...

Well Girl - We haven't heard from you and are praying that you're doing well. Please drop us a line and let us know - ok? :phanvan

Judy

Well, I was scheduled for my 2nd fill on 1/28, but just couldn't wait - I was so hungy I was snacking every afternoon!

Called my doc and they were able to fit me in today. They put in 1cc (total of 3cc's now). Feeling much more restricted. Hoping this will last a while!

How's everyone else doing? Haven't heard from you in a while...

Hey all,

Funny I thought I posted to this thread after my surgery...

Anyhows I'm doing great! surgery went a little longer than usual (due to scar tissue from previous surgery) but I'm now six days out and feeling great. I'm restricted to 3oz and my menu consists of mainly, Water, slimfast high Protein, Jello, Soup,and Vitamin Water. Exercise? - from my bed to the bathroom. I've lost six pounds so far according to my scale!

I've struggled with cravings, but that's all they are - not hunger!

Thanks everyone for your concerns and prayers.

hi all, seems we are all getting our fills.

congrats ovahkummer on your surgery date and glad your doing well!!

i got my first fill jan 7th. 1.5 ccs. next one is set for feb 18. i'm doing weel except for some chest pain. it is like something is being pulled everytime i take a half way deep breath. right at the breast bone and on the right side. i've been eating meat for about 2 weeks, though i wasn't suposed to start til next tuesday due to the fill. had a salad on friday, again not suposed to have that either til tuesday. it was good! i don't know how doc expect your to lose any weight when u can't eat meat or salads.. not having any trouble with bread. but alll i have eaten is toast and 2 slices of pizza. my meat has consisted of some ham in my potatoe Soup, the peporoni off the pizza, the hamburger in one taco, shredded beef in a boritto and steak last night. oh and some bacon.

marisa, towens, firbolt glad the fill are starting to happen!!

bandpal whats going on?

hope everyone had and happy new year. here's to a good one, and lost of weightloss for all of us.

Hi all,

I had my fill on the 7th--he put in 2 more cc's ( I think I have 4 now) and I am not as hungry as before, but can eat more than 4 ounces. My stomach sometimes aches--especially if I drink a glass of iced tea. But I am still not losing weight. I feel frustrated cause I thought I was taking the easy way out and it isn't so easy :-)

Notes From Lapbandland – Sunday, January 13th, 2008

Hi everyone, here’s hoping these first few weeks of 2008 are treating you all well. I haven’t posted for a while now, but have been logging in and reading your comments. Here’s what’s going on with me.

Weight

Down just a little this week to115 kg after plateauing at 116 for a couple of weeks. I’m not that concerned about it right now- after losing 14 kilo in a month, I guess my body needed a time-out. I haven’t been exercising, and have been having a difficult time with eating as well, so holding steady is something of an accomplishment.

First Fill

Celebrated New Years Day (just another basic workday here) by driving 3 hours to Be’er Sheva where I got my first fill (3 cc.) at Soroka Hospital. My surgeon held court in an x-ray room and kept the faithful moving along briskly; ten people went in and out before me at a clip of 5-10 minutes per patient. When it was my turn, I got a firm handshake, a view of my insides on the fluoroscope, a daub of local anasthetic and a needle in my chest, just below the breastbone (so that’s where my port was) and another firm handshake on the way out. At least I know how it all works now – next time I’ll go by myself on the bus. This time I went by car and had someone come with me to hold my hand.

Difficulties

First of all, I’ve had the normal post-fill issues, which I am one hundred percent grateful for. I deserve to learn how to eat all over again; need to learn how the frequency in which I eat, the amounts that I eat and the manner in which I eat are way out of control. I’ve been learning the first two lessons since the surgery, but the fill has forced me to confront new issues: the speed at which I eat and swallow, and the size of the bites which I put in my mouth. Needless to say, I’ve had my share of sliming and “pb” incidents. It is frustrating, especially when I think I’ve been paying attention, eating slowly and taking small bites, and still get jammed up. I think I’m getting the hang of it, though, and for me it comes down to taking small bites. Smaller bites mean less to chew and a more thorough chewing of whatever I’m eating, and it also means that I’m eatiing at a slower rate. I try to use only my two top and bottom teeth to take a bite of something and not to open my mouth all the way. Excuse me if this is something you all knew already, but hey, better late than never.

On top of that, there are the normal problems – emotional eating, night eating, eating from boredom and habit. It’s amazing- and frightening - how quickly I can make myself forget that I had an operation, came back from the hospital black and blue with staples and with a tube inserted inside of me. But, on the other hand, it’s not surprising; this is the denial that got me where I am. I never thought all this would go away. All I asked for, all I expected the band to give me, is a level playing field.

I think part of the recent difficulty has been a kind of pushing back – a panicked attempt to rattle the bars of the cage I’ve been lucky enough to put myself in. I’ll be frank: at least once in the past month, I’ve gotten stuck, pounded the table in pain, slimed, pb’ed - and gone right on eating. I have a friend here who’s had the procedure, and she told me to look out for a period of mourning that I couldn’t go on eating like I had before. I guess that this is it – if I manage to get through it without actually gaining any weight and damaging the band, I’ll take the money and run.

Thank You

I really want to thank those of you who have been writing during this time. I appreciated hearing how everyone was doing even though I didn’t feel much like writing myself. I really feel that we are a group to come back to, and that what we can get from each other is limited only by what we are willing to share. I am grateful thatI have a place to turn to where people will understand this experience we are all sharing.

Ovahkummer: Congratulations, welcome to the promised land!

Towens: Good going on the fill, good luck with the weight, be patient.

Tlwempen: Thanks for asking what’s up, eat some ham and pepperoni for me. I’m not Kosher but my wife and kids are…

Firebolt; Hope the fills kick in, being hungry is no fun.

Marissa: I loved the jeans story, your posts always leave me smiling.