Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about endoscopy/colonoscopy

Looking for some reassurance about being scoped tomorrow. I'm mostly worried about the anesthesia: either not being enough, or causing complications! I have sleep apnea with a CPAP and worried that it will for me to be adequately ventilated, especially being heavy. But the rational part of me says that there must be others in the same situation who have gone through this safely! Would greatly appreciate any shared thoughts. Thank you!

I had obstructive sleep apnea and used a CPAP when I had my endoscopies and colonoscopy and had absolutely no trouble. It' s not like regular anesthesia when you have surgery, they just "twilight" you and it's easy to wake up from, no nausea, no problems.

Thank you! You didn’t have to bring your CPAP to the procedure, right? Also I think I want the propofol, not the “twilight”.... so that’s what worries me more!

Just now, ohjuly7878 said:

Thank you! You didn’t have to bring your CPAP to the procedure, right? Also I think I want the propofol, not the “twilight”.... so that’s what worries me more!

No, you don't bring your CPAP and the propofol IS the twilight medication. It's wonderful! You'll have the best sleep on your life.

💜💜💜thanks so much

I have sleep apnea as well. I had previous complications when I woke up from having gallbladder surgery, my oxygen levels would not come up. I was so scared to have this EGD, so scared to be put to sleep. But I was told it was nothing like when u be put to sleep when you have major surgery. And they were right. I had my egd on Friday, they knew I was so scared. The Dr put on music, I saw him move to the music, I smiled then I was knocked out. Having an EGD is so fast, I was back to my room within 30 mins. I woke up with no pain, and the best sleep ever. My oxygen levels was perfect. You will be fine hun.

I don't think people normally have problems with the twilight sleep. It's not like getting general anesthesia. I had sleep apnea (a mild case, though) when I was morbidly obese and did fine on twilight sleep during my colonoscopy. I didn't have a CPAP (I didn't know at the time I had sleep apnea). I would just call the clinic that's doing it beforehand and ask them if you should bring your CPAP machine.

I had my scope on Thursday and it was a breeze. They did start oxygen before the procedure by nasal cannula but they also monitored my end tidal CO2 which is a measure of how well you're ventilating on your own. I was only given propofol (the milky white stuff) and had zero issues. During the procedure you lie on your left side so the weight of your body isn't really affecting your chest. The surgeon who will be doing my surgery is also the one who did my scope so if that's your case ask if you should bring your CPAP. From the time I was taken back to the endoscopy room to the time I was in recovery was less than an hour and I was asleep for maybe half of it.

And you don't feel badly afterwards, 10 times easier than a root canal, and you don't leave afterwards with swollen Beaver Cheeks. Thinking back, I really am glad I no longer have real teeth, dentists kept doing them on me, maybe because my parents and later hubby had good dental insurance, but they did not benefit me the rest of my life. Curious, my cousin Rodger and I , 3 days apart in age, born at the end of WW II , our mama's had good healthy farm food, with rationing they could not get sugars and other bad - for- you stuff. We should have had wonderful strong teeth, neither of us did! Even the locale where we were incubated had natural flouridation, teeth were a little mottled but not all that strong. Probably had first filling at 3 years, and neither of us ever drank formula bottles, well I did a little because Mama's doctor didn't believe in thin babies, but she brushed my teeth as soon as I got them at 5 months. Doesn't make sense, does it?

I use a CPAP too and had an upper endoscopy before my bypass. Absolutely zero problems - it's super simple and you wake up feeling fine. It's a very light anesthetic. You'll be fine!

Looking for some reassurance about being scoped tomorrow. I'm mostly worried about the anesthesia: either not being enough, or causing complications! I have sleep apnea with a CPAP and worried that it will for me to be adequately ventilated, especially being heavy. But the rational part of me says that there must be others in the same situation who have gone through this safely! Would greatly appreciate any shared thoughts. Thank you!
Hello I just had my endoscopy last week, I was a very nervous, anxious even scared before the procedure, however I found that my experience wasn't bad at all and gave me less anxiety for my upcoming wls. After knowing that it was a quick painless procedure and you Do wake up, I encourage you to rest east knowing everything will be ok. I know easier its said than done. I wish you well.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was awake for both and have been in the room assisting (I'm and RN) when others have had them and the patients having the colonoscopies carry on full conversations with the staff. I watched my Endoscopy and although I wasn't supposed to remember it, I did, likely because I take klonopin and they give you a benzo. I am pretty tolerant to benzos because of my script. I doubt you'll even remember either procedure, to be honest. Versed is a great med, LOL.

Also awake for one of mine last October 26th, very interesting, indeed,not intentional, I am a Red-head, we tend. to need extra sedation, so mine was an "Oopsie" but I would not be afraid , if it happened ever again. Found out my surgeon who is my own surgeon's junior partner is just as gentle while you are asleep as when you are awake. Have great deal of respect for her and her skills, had I met Dr Noria before my RnY, I would have felt safe in her hands as much as I did Dr Needleman. They both are😷 exceptional people.😝🍀💕

PS I also was Wide Awake for my colonoscopies, much cooler than walking through the inflatable Colon my hospital,brings in as a teaching tool. You k,ow it's your very own Colon that is the Star here.