Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'M SO MAD AT MY PRIM CARE PHYS!!!!!!!!!!!--trying to prevent nausea

I'm so mad at my primary care physician, that i just told them, i will not be going to their office anymore. maybe you guys can help and let me know whether or not i have a right to be upset.

ok, my son has been VERY sick this week. he has some sort of bug that has caused severe stomach cramps and then finally vomiting. they thought he had meningitis and were minutes away from doing spinal tap, when he began to get better.

well, me being the prepared person that i am, i call my surgeon's office to ask about getting some anti nausea medicine called in, just in case i catch his illness. (my stomach is hurting today like i have a sour stomach). my surgeon says that i have to contact my pcp. so, i call my pcp (who by the way was in support of this), and my pcp says that she will not do it because it is not healthy. WELL NEITHER IS VOMITING!!!. I double checked with the nurse to make sure she knew i was banded and that i would only use it if i began to vomit. my doctor doesn't care, she's not doing it.

wtf? why not? i understand that when you have vomiting and diarhea you are not supposed to stop it, because that is how the virus leaves your body, but i also understand that i am not supposed to throw up. so, am i overreacting?

i called my surgeon back, and he is actually out of town, so he can't help me even if he would, so they gave me the medical exchange number to call if i do start to get sick, maybe they will help me. it looks like if i do get sick, i'll have to go to ER to get them to give me anything.

has anyone else had this problem, and am i just being ridiculous to expect my pcp to help?

I'd be a bit annoyed and a bit miffed if I was started to feel like I was getting sick and the doc wouldn't give me anything. Does your PCP not realize that your stomach is still healing from the surgery and you could do damage vomiting???? My surgeon gave me meds for nausea after my banding did yours give you any? I'm keeping my fingers crossed you don't get sick.

Well, I don't think many doctors would prescribe something "just in case"...I really don't think you should be mad. Annoyed, maybe, but not mad.

i understand that in most cases, and i would think i'm being a bit ridiculous, but it is a Friday, and i had my surgery only 4 weeks ago. I personally feel like this should be the exception.

its crappy that you have to go through this but in the mean time lets try to help you with some ideas that might help with the nausea instead of meds. For me sucking on a mint or even flat ginerale helps. Everyone is different but maybe this will help you a little.

thank you for that... i will pick up some mints and gingerale and see if that will help.

i'm being kind of fatalistic, i admit, as i am not vomiting yet, but my stomach hurts like it is sour and i am burping a lot (could be because i just ate 2 too many chicken nuggets). i probably should have just tried to have only liquids with the way my stomach is feeling, but i haven't been getting in a lot of Protein, and i'm afraid that my hurt, more than help.

I know this may sound nasty but when I get sick to my stomache I take a tablespoon of Nutmeg. Calms me quickly. I have only had it not work once and my husband does the same thing with great success. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

I may need to add that I am not banded yet. i don't know if it would really make a difference.

nutmeg...i haven't heard of that before. maybe since i think that i look kind of like you do....my body will work the way that your does....lol

when do you get banded?

They also have something called Ematral(sp) at the drug store you can use.I get that for when we have the stomach viruses.Seems to work pretty good.Its a liguid.

Emetral, yup. They have it at ALL the drug stores (even wal-mart).

That's the only thing I ever use for anti-nausea. It works immediately.

It's not homeopathic though, it's an actual medicine.

And as for your doctor, I kind of see their point. I hate when I get strep throat, I can't just call my PCP and ask for them to call me in antibiotics and save me a day of sitting in the waiting room (I have tried though). I see why though, if I misdiagnose then they are giving me antibiotics which can be harmful by lowering the immunity to them blah blah. As for anti-nausea medicine.. I didn't even know they made Rx of it, since I always use over the counter.. but I can't see the harm of giving it out.. but that's true, they don't just call in Rx as preventatives based off of your speculations.

I had a similar thing happen. I was just banded and called to see if I could get some anti-nausea meds just in case I needed to throw up. They said they don't prescribe things unless I'm actually throwing up. Now, I don't quite understand this as well, because it's not like I'm going to be visiting the doc when I'm sick. When I'm sick, I'm in bed and not moving anywhere!

The nutmeg thing - does that work for stomach flu as well?

Linda