Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What meds can I take post op?!

This may sound like a silly question, but I have a doctors appointment on Thursday to get my birth control implant put in. They instructed me over the phone the other day that it’s going to be painful, so I need to take 600 mg of ibuprofen before my appointment. However, I just realized that I feel like I read somewhere that gastric bypass patients can’t take ibuprofen? Or am I wrong? I’ve always been an ibuprofen user when it comes to headaches and stuff, so can someone give me a run down of what I can/cannot take in terms of like ibuprofen, Tylenol, Advil and those kinds of things?

You CANNOT take NSAIDS. I take mobic and I’m off it for preop safety and have to stay off for at least 6 months then we’ll try it and if it doesn’t help my pain or I get ulcer symptoms I’m done.

You can take Tylenol just track your total daily intake for liver toxicity. Personally, I find Tylenol to be useless.

5 minutes ago, KateBruin said:

You CANNOT take NSAIDS. I take mobic and I’m off it for preop safety and have to stay off for at least 6 months then we’ll try it and if it doesn’t help my pain or I get ulcer symptoms I’m done.

You can take Tylenol just track your total daily intake for liver toxicity. Personally, I find Tylenol to be useless.

I also take Meloxicam/Mobic for arthritis and I can't see myself giving it up lol. I've missed a couple doses here and there and the pain is immediately back. I'm praying that I can still take it after my surgery.

On 04/03/2019 at 02:00, ARMoma45 said:

I also take Meloxicam/Mobic for arthritis and I can't see myself giving it up lol. I've missed a couple doses here and there and the pain is immediately back. I'm praying that I can still take it after my surgery.

My doctor made a very strong point to stop for several months while everything heals. I have ankylosing spondylitis and hashis so I need it for my joints (humira too). Humira I’ll have to give up for a month total so I can heal without infection. I’m willing to suffer a little to make sure I don’t get an ulcer. I need a second shoulder repair 8 or so weeks after my sleeve to bypass but I’d rather be in pain that have an ulcer (wine is life 😆). I suffered for years not realizing my pain was autoimmune arthritis so I’m hoping I can manage it with Tylenol, lidocaine Patches, topical NSAIDS. They’re much safer and approved by my surgeon (check them out! I get pennsaid that is brand name but there’s generic versions). I’ll end up in more pain after my next shoulder reconstruction without mobic/meloxicam but I survived one of the most demanding degrees at UCLA and law school pre diagnosis (not bragging!) so I hope I can do it again. I can handle shoulder and joint pain via PT but not a damn ulcer!

On 04/02/2019 at 21:19, jazzyj13 said:

This may sound like a silly question, but I have a doctors appointment on Thursday to get my birth control implant put in. They instructed me over the phone the other day that it’s going to be painful, so I need to take 600 mg of ibuprofen before my appointment. However, I just realized that I feel like I read somewhere that gastric bypass patients can’t take ibuprofen? Or am I wrong? I’ve always been an ibuprofen user when it comes to headaches and stuff, so can someone give me a run down of what I can/cannot take in terms of like ibuprofen, Tylenol, Advil and those kinds of things?
Forgot to say ask for a Benzo to relax you. I can’t really get an iud as I’ve had stage 0 cancer and my cervix is all kinds of chopped up but I’ve had friends who can get through it with a benzo and/or a low dose opioid like Vicodin or Tylenol 3. It’s not fun if your cervix is sensitive or you’ve never given birth. You’ll feel crampy and awful for a bit. *hugs*

Nope, no Ibuprofen or NSAIDS. Just Tylenol or Acetominophen.

Yes, NSAIDs like ibuprofin are classic redflag no-no's for bypass patients (it's that marginal ulcer thing that the bypass is prone to); however, I have seen them prescribed (by bariatric surgeons) for limited use in certain specific cases where the risk/reward trade off makes sense. So, check with your surgeon as to what he would prescribe for this particular instance.

20 hours ago, KateBruin said:

My doctor made a very strong point to stop for several months while everything heals. I have ankylosing spondylitis and hashis so I need it for my joints (humira too). Humira I’ll have to give up for a month total so I can heal without infection. I’m willing to suffer a little to make sure I don’t get an ulcer. I need a second shoulder repair 8 or so weeks after my sleeve to bypass but I’d rather be in pain that have an ulcer (wine is life 😆). I suffered for years not realizing my pain was autoimmune arthritis so I’m hoping I can manage it with Tylenol, lidocaine Patches, topical NSAIDS. They’re much safer and approved by my surgeon (check them out! I get pennsaid that is brand name but there’s generic versions). I’ll end up in more pain after my next shoulder reconstruction without mobic/meloxicam but I survived one of the most demanding degrees at UCLA and law school pre diagnosis (not bragging!) so I hope I can do it again. I can handle shoulder and joint pain via PT but not a damn ulcer!

I'm the opposite, I can deal with the ulcer as i've had those most of my life but the arthritis pain is unbearable to me. Before I started using Meloxicam I couldn't even get out of my car when I got home from work from aching so bad...and I have a really high pain tolerance. I just hope that losing weight will relieve enough of the pain from my joints to make it bearable.

On 04/04/2019 at 00:07, ARMoma45 said:

I'm the opposite, I can deal with the ulcer as i've had those most of my life but the arthritis pain is unbearable to me. Before I started using Meloxicam I couldn't even get out of my car when I got home from work from aching so bad...and I have a really high pain tolerance. I just hope that losing weight will relieve enough of the pain from my joints to make it bearable.

I lost 105 with my sleeve and I’ll say my joints started to feel much better. I wasn’t huge but I was obese. Guess I am again since I gained 40 on steroids and BMI is 31/32. The humira reduces a lot of my inflammation but I’m going 4 weeks without it and without mobic. Funny when I lost weight I ended up with injuries from my heavy workouts. Facing my second shoulder repair in 8 weeks or so once I heal from today’s sleeve. EEEP!! It’s in 7 hours!!

2 hours ago, KateBruin said:
2 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

I lost 105 with my sleeve and I’ll say my joints started to feel much better. I wasn’t huge but I was obese. Guess I am again since I gained 40 on steroids and BMI is 31/32. The humira reduces a lot of my inflammation but I’m going 4 weeks without it and without mobic. Funny when I lost weight I ended up with injuries from my heavy workouts. Facing my second shoulder repair in 8 weeks or so once I heal from today’s sleeve. EEEP!! It’s in 7 hours!!

Good luck with your surgery today 😊😊😊

Besides Tylenol, if you have another issue that causes severe pain you can take Tramadol or Percocet. I highly recommend talking to your doctor about this.