Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi friends, I was sleeved almost 5 months ago and all was well until I tried to stop taking my pantoprozole around 8 weeks.

I have had hearburn everyday since if I do not take the medicine. I do not want to take an acid reducer long term. It scares the crap out of me.

Just trying to see if anyone has had the same issue? Did it get better? Did you get a revision?

I am so scared to get a revision but reflux is scary and no fun at all. It can cause long term issues and damage that scares me also.

I also know someone who was revised and is still having issues with reflux.

Any encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I got terrible reflux after my sleeve and developed Barrett's Esophagus. Got the revision in December and have had no reflux. I have been on nexium and now prevacid but am going to get scoped next week to see if the Barrett's has cleared up and get off the meds.

I got terrible reflux after my sleeve and developed Barrett's Esophagus. Got the revision in December and have had no reflux. I have been on nexium and now prevacid but am going to get scoped next week to see if the Barrett's has cleared up and get off the meds.

Ugh that is awful. How long had you been sleeved and dealing with the GERD before you developed Barrett's?
This is my fear.
We're you able to control yours with medication? A PPI?
Did you just get heartburn when you ate or was it a constant thing?

Also how have you been feeling since revision?
Rny scares me. But I think cancer scares me more

I went 3 years with the GERD before my revision. I didn't get on med's until I went to a new surgeon to see about the revision, It helped right away. I found out about the Barrett's when he sent me for my pre op scope. I had gained 60 lbs with the sleeve after loosing 100 with the lap band (it went bad and had to come out). My revision has been a breeze. I'm down 40 lbs and feeling great. The recovery was easier than both my previous surgeries. I have no regrets what so ever.

I went 3 years with the GERD before my revision. I didn't get on med's until I went to a new surgeon to see about the revision, It helped right away. I found out about the Barrett's when he sent me for my pre op scope. I had gained 60 lbs with the sleeve after loosing 100 with the lap band (it went bad and had to come out). My revision has been a breeze. I'm down 40 lbs and feeling great. The recovery was easier than both my previous surgeries. I have no regrets what so ever.
Thank you for sharing! Did it take longer for the weight to start coming off? How long did it take to lose 40 pounds?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

The weight started coming off right away but i did have an early stall. I'm now steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week. They told me due to my previous surgeries that i would lose slower. I lost 8lbs prior to surgery and 32 since December 5th.

The weight started coming off right away but i did have an early stall. I'm now steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week. They told me due to my previous surgeries that i would lose slower. I lost 8lbs prior to surgery and 32 since December 5th.
They didnt tell me that it would go slow. However, I am preparing for that possibility. I hope to be at goal by Dec.

I am so glad to hear you are doing well [emoji171]
A revision scares me but when I talk to others it makes me feel like if I need one I will be ok. 🥰
How often did you get heartburn, or reflux?
I seem to have it everyday.

I had my revision from sleeve to RNY on 3/11. I took 4 weeks off to recuperate and that was the best thing to do. I’m 53 so it was harder to bounce back from surgery than in previous years. I have no hunger and NO GERD. It’s an amazing feeling not to have that. I’m down 26 pounds and feel better each day.

I had my revision from sleeve to RNY on 3/11. I took 4 weeks off to recuperate and that was the best thing to do. I’m 53 so it was harder to bounce back from surgery than in previous years. I have no hunger and NO GERD. It’s an amazing feeling not to have that. I’m down 26 pounds and feel better each day.
How much more weight are you trying to lose? GERD sucks! Thanks for sharing! I hope to lose at least 50 with no GERD after my revision.

3 hours ago, SeattleLady said:

How much more weight are you trying to lose? GERD sucks! Thanks for sharing! I hope to lose at least 50 with no GERD after my revision.

I have about 70 more pounds to lose. To be honest, GBP seems so much easier for me than the sleeve because I was still quite hungry after my sleeve but after bypass I have to remind myself to eat. :) I know you are going to do well and love your choice to go with the revision. Not having that burning sensation in my chest and throat has been life changing for the better! Good luck and keep us posted!

On 4/6/2019 at 10:14 PM, dreamingofasleeve said:

I am so glad to hear you are doing well
A revision scares me but when I talk to others it makes me feel like if I need one I will be ok. 🥰
How often did you get heartburn, or reflux?
I seem to have it everyday.

Thank You. I had reflux all the time. It was even happening when i was sleeping.

I don't think you will regret the revision. My only problem with it is my little pouch doesn't like cheese/dairy anymore.

Precious Pouch hates cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, and they along with Peanut Butter and bananas, were go- tos before my surgery.