Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness one year post-op

So, I've been getting dizzy lately, like really dizzy. It's almost exclusively when I stand up. It takes me a few seconds for the room to stop spinning, then I can go on with what I got up to do. It's very frustrating and annoying though. I work at a hospital, and I had my coworker check my BP when sitting then right after standing and it didn't drop, which is what I thought was happening, so I don't know what the issue is. I was supposed to have my one year check up last week, but they had to reschedule due to the NP leaving, so now it's not until 4/17. I eat about 1200 calories a day. 80-100g of Protein daily. Exercise 4 days a week for about 30 min. Drink 90-100oz of Water a day. Take all of my Vitamins. I just don't know what it could be. It's been happening pretty regularly for about a month. Any ideas?

Hi there.......it sounds very much like you have elements of what is called 'postural hypotension - that is, at times, your blood pressure is slightly slow to respond to, for example, bending your head lower down, then raising it sooner than your brain can 'catch-up' and make the adjustment to your blood pressure. Your blood pressure is likely already low....more so than it used to be....which is why you are, after the weight loss, experiencing these symptoms. I would say that it's highly likely that this is what you are experiencing - more importantly, we need to look into what has caused it. You are not old enough for age to be a significant factor, although if you DO take blood pressure medication, this may be a factor. Can you recall what your blood pressure reading was, the last time it was measured? You have lost a massive amount of weight, and as a result, you have experienced some lowering of your blood pressure simply due to this fact. I, too, have been having episodes of dizziness when I bend down and get up again a little too quickly. This passes quickly enough, but clearly can be of concern and is something we need to be mindful of and aware of, for safety reasons at times. I have plenty of medical knowledge and experience as regards to this and other things, and advise that you mention this to your Doctor, who will likely confirm what I have written here. If you are taking medicines for blood pressure, the Dr will review the dosage and likely reduce it. In many cases, it can be largely untreatable and simply managed by our awareness of having the condition, and avoiding....when we manage to remember......bending forward and up again too quickly and so-on!! I hope this may have helped a little.....if I can help more, please let me know, and wishing you the best with your ongoing journey! :) I should add......just read your posting again......was going to suggest looking at if your Water intake was adequate, but it seems to be reasonable, the amount you are drinking daily. It would be worthwhile for you to get a blood screen test done, to establish your Haemoglobin and Iron levels baseline results. In ladies especially, this need watching, although thinking about it, it seems unlikely that your bloods have not been measured quite frequently due to your surgery and follow-up etc. I am thinking here Anaemia, possibly Iron Deficiency, but again, regardless of these possibilities, a good idea to see your Doctor to narrow things down and diagnose correctly. Checking the BP by laying down and standing is not always conclusive or absolutely diagnostic of postural hypotension, that is, it may not be a significant enough shift in the numbers to be picked-up, yet you are still experiencing symptoms. Sorry to go-on a little here, but I really hope to have helped you a little with some advice.....please let me know how you go, and if i can help with anything here.

Edited by Lindsay B

Lindsay, thank you so much for the fantastic response! I’ve never had high BP, so I’m not on any BP meds. I am anemic though. I didn’t know that could cause dizziness. I do take 2-3 Iron supplements a day plus whatever is in my multi. I probably need to be more consistent and take 3 Iron pills a day, as my doctor recommended. Thanks again!

Christine, love the new photo! You look amazing! Dizziness can be so crazy!

I get bouts of dizziness every time I stand, whether I was lying down, sitting. or kneeling. It has made church quite the adventure since I'm Catholic. Thank heavens for the pew in front of me. I think mine is due to diuretics that I take for edema. Do you take anything like that?

13 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Christine, love the new photo! You look amazing! Dizziness can be so crazy!

I get bouts of dizziness every time I stand, whether I was lying down, sitting. or kneeling. It has made church quite the adventure since I'm Catholic. Thank heavens for the pew in front of me. I think mine is due to diuretics that I take for edema. Do you take anything like that?

No, Orchid. I don't take anything like that. The only prescriptions that I take are an antidepressant and birth control, and I've been on both since before my surgery. I am on quite a few new supplements, such as: multi, Calcium, Iron, Biotin, and a probiotic. Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my new pic!

You are very welcome Christine......of course, important to follow your GP's advice. Also, Iron supplement tablets comes in variable strengths, and even types. Certain types of Iron are a little more readily absorbed by the body, and may work a little better. Very important, after around 3 months, to have further blood checks, to establish if the Iron has been properly absorbed, and to see what dosage of Iron you may need to carry on with, which may be a different dosage pending the test result. The interesting thing with Iron is that it can take many months before you eithe feel a difference or, see any difference in your blood test results. Generally, most anaemias have a slow onset, and consequently take quite a while for us to correct them with Iron supplements. You may already know from your Dr, but if not, try to always take your Iron along with Vitamin C.....the tablets are fine and not expensive.....but also is ok to take them with juice, which should be Vitamin C rich. The Iron requires the presence of Vitamin C in order to be absorbed maximally. If your Iron levels are quite good, it may not be the problem with your dizzy episodes - it could actually be the weight loss from the procedure that has given you a relatively lower blood pressure than used to be for you pre-op. I have this a little, too, and find I can mostly manage it by trying harder to not forget I have it....not always easy, but I do know it's a nuisance when it happens. Please take care with it, and wishing you well!