Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel like an athlete?

Ok I've been thinking about posting this thread for a little while now and wasn't sure how it would be received, but here it is...

A couple of weeks ago, my sister who lives up the street from me (well about 2kms up a BIG hill) called and asked if she could drop by and borrow some of my shoes to wear to a wedding. I told her I was going out for a run in the next 5 minutes and would be gone for close to an hour. Oh, well you can put them in a back pack and run to my place and leave them for me, cos I'm not home and was going to come pick them up in about half an hour, she said. Geez I said to her jokingly, I'm not a pack horse, I'm an athlete (this part was said with sarcasm). She laughed, I laughed and she came around to get them some other time (cos running with an unbalanced back pack might flare up my back pain and I didn't want to even risk it, I explained to her).

But I've been thinking about that since. A year ago I weighed around 250 pounds and was completely sedentary. Today, I am down to 159 pounds and I run 6 or more kms 4-5 days a week and participate in organised fun runs at least monthly (10kms is my best effort yet - I'm planning on a half marathon in May 2008). I love running. I love the way it makes me feel both physcially and psychologically and the way it makes my body look. I love how it feels when I'm doing it and I love how I feel afterwards. I've found a passion in it. When I run now, I feel like an athlete (I probably don't look like one though lol). A year ago, I could have never in a million years guessed that I would be tying up my laces on my runners most days to run until the sweat poured off me in an attempt to better my PB time (My best over my local 6.25 km run so far it 36ish minutes - of course I'm slower over a longer distance per km).

So I just wanted to post this thread to have a place for us to be proud of our fitness journeys and acheivements. And I'll just get in now and say by no means am I trying to make others feel bad because they choose not to exercise - that is your choice and you are on your own journey - work your band in what ever way does it for you. I just want a place for those of us that doexercise, and that love it as well, to have a place to come and share (not boast - its not that - we ALL can be proud of ourselves without it being bragging I think!) our acheivements, both great and small, cos I know there are a bunch of others out there who are passionate about their own fitness too.

So, do you feel like an athlete?

(athlete (noun) - a person who is good at sport, especially running, jumping etc

- a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

from dictionary.com) - "good and gifted" are open to YOUR interpretation :cool:

I hope I will feel that way someday, but for now, I feel like a fat chick in tennis shoes slogging my way through everything. I've been on the same damn plateau since May, so I'm getting pissed off at myself for letting my dietary choices slide, and for temporarily becoming sedentary again. BUT, I'm watching my diet again, and getting more exercise again, so I guess I'll keep on chuggin' until I get there!

It took a long, long time, but yes, now I feel like an athlete. I ran the NYC marathon a week ago! And I'm planning to run more! I only buy special runner socks. I spend more on any one piece of running clothing than on anything I wear to work. My body is as toned as it can be, given that it's lost over 200 lbs. Yep. I feel like an athlete. Thanks for asking the question -- it made me feel good!

Of course I would chime in right after Julie!!!

I am beginning to feel like an athlete, but it has been a long time coming. I run- today I ran 21.1km in training for my 1/2 marathon in two weeks. I have not had plastic surgery so, extra skin means some muscles don't look as toned as I would like, but I have those muscles and never knew they existed.

I know I am a athlete because:

-I want the weather to be good so I can get out there

- I too (wink Julie) spend more money on running clothes than anything else

- I can hike, walk, climb stairs without a thought

- my body tells me so

-when it hurts, I know it will strengthen me in the long run

- because I choose to move... because I can now!!! Hallelujah!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/156/148

"I run because I can!!!"

Thanks for replying guys!

Well today I ran a 5km fun run and got a personal best of 28 minutes 54 seconds. I am SO stoked to have run a better than 6 minute average km. It was incredibly hot and I thought that might impede my efforts but apparently it didn't!

Hey i really like this thread. It gives me great insperation!!

I really respect what you all had to say.

I had my band aug 07 and am down 65 lbs now. I started swimming every day as i was a little worried about a 440 lb man running! LOL

Anyways after swimming about an hour everyday i worked up the courage to start a running program!. At 390 ! i started couch to 5k.

I am doing ok at it but sometimes i think i am WAY to heavy to be running. I did hurt my knee on week 3 a little but this was because i was going to fast and not resting my legs every other day. I still workout everyday with swimming and weight lifting but im up to week 5 this week on C25k. i constantly think i am just too heavy and i look so stupid on the treadmill but i do enjoy it.

Looking at your stats really encourages me. In the last 4 weeks i was down 12lbs but some of it is my body changing.

I am REALLY a newbie at running but it is something i would like to pursue.

JulieNYC---we all talk about your Marathon over on C25k thread..your our hero over there.

Oh yeah, exactly like you've described.

If I was ever to see myself running on video, my fantasies would probably be shattered. I'm not gifted, fast or particularly good at it and I probably dont look as if I am when I do it, but I dont care.

I love the fun runs too, I'm gutted that I was registered for the Olympic Dream next Sunday but cant do it due to having to do my Austswim certificate and then cant do the Sussan Women's the next week becuase its Fraser's birthday.

Eh, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck, right?

I both quack and walk like an athlete (but mostly like a duck), so therefore I am. I think.

Chickie, I'm so sad that you took your pics off your signature... Would you reconsider and put them back up? It makes me believe that I, too, can achieve my dreams...

Its 37 degrees celcius in Melbourne today - and I exercised! Oh, yeah, I'm an athlete. Now I'm not stupid enough to go out running in the blazing hot sun in weather like this, so I went to a spin class instead. In my past life I would have just not done anything much.

Jacqui its about 34 here today, and I am waiting for dusk to hit to see if it cools down before I try to get out for a run....otherwise I'm making up for it at the gym tomorrow. Thats gonna hurt! haha

i want to feel like an athlete. that must count for something.

you guys amaze the shit out of me.

It counts for a lot as far as I am concerned! You've had such fantastic results so far and you kick butt with your exercise too!!!

Chickie, I'm so sad that you took your pics off your signature... Would you reconsider and put them back up? It makes me believe that I, too, can achieve my dreams...

I am glad they inspired the right things in someone! If you like, I can PM you the addy for my personal web page. But the photos stay down for the moment. I don't want to be accused of showboating or attention grabbing.

Its 37 degrees celcius in Melbourne today - and I exercised! Oh, yeah, I'm an athlete. Now I'm not stupid enough to go out running in the blazing hot sun in weather like this, so I went to a spin class instead. In my past life I would have just not done anything much.

Holy crap! It was only 30 in Brisbane today! I don't envy Melbourne weather.

i want to feel like an athlete. that must count for something.

you guys amaze the shit out of me.

LJM, if it quacks like a duck.....

And you are pretty amazing too! And don't you dare forget that!!