Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to start working out!

I want to work out, but feel so tired after work, and I get up so early to go to work.. ugh I know it sounds like excuses...

I need inspiration, motivation and ideas, please!

Walking is an easy peasy way to get some exercise in. Can you walk around your block when you get home or before work?

Many of us are busy and have crazy schedules.

Now that we are getting into warmer weather, walking outside will help lift your mood. Workout videos, hand weights in your home or new/used exercise equipment. Bike/elliptical…Start slow and build on your fitness level as you progress.

When you’re not working on the weekends plan to get more activity/exercise in.

8 hours ago, jennyv83 said:

I need inspiration, motivation and ideas, please!

Do it even when it sucks. Make it a new habit. Use it to calm your stress or replace stress, emotions and eating out of boredom. Once you make it a habit. It becomes a normal and for me enjoyable. (never thought I would say that in life)

Sometimes its perspective not motivation:

A person with cancer that has three months to live would gladly trade places with us for our weight loss and exercise struggles. We get this second chance in life to lose weight and get healthy. Put everything into this first year. You wont regret it.

This motivational video is a bit hard core but some days I need it

I agree walking is a great way to start your exercise journey. There are also a lot of short you tube workout videos. My doctor told me even if it is a quick 10 minutes a day can be quite beneficially. My 9 yr old daughter and I jump rope at home. Just find something that you can stick to and you will be OK.

go to gym directly after work , start with 2 days a week , light resistance and 1/2 hour cardio , if can pay a trainer 2 x week , schedule right after work , don't go home ,, that is what kills you, try that ,,, find a walking buddy

Find something FUN that you WANT to do.

Favorite music, walking, treadmill, weights, etc....

Zumba is a BLAST! Been to MANY classes, all different people, all there to have a great time. No one judges if you have no coordination!

There are many workout videos, maybe there is one that you would enjoy.

Seriously, I hate working out. SO I hired a trainer. That way a) I am spending money so I don't want to waste it, 2) I have an obligation to someone other than myself and 3) I have someone on my ass and motivating me the whole time I am there... which is what I need. If I didn't have the trainer, I would probably never go. I have had 6 sessions so far over the last 3 weeks and it is great having him there. I go STRAIGHT from work because if I go home, that's the end of me. I am tired going there and tired leaving, but it has to be done. Maybe invest in a personal trainer to get you started. I pay $35 per session.

I have a an old single speed cruiser bike that I love. I can't wait to get home from work, jump on my bike, and cruise down a local trail. It really doesn't even feel like exercise most days!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Because of the climate where I live, walking outdoors is dicey 6 months of the year. I also happen to be a TV junkie. So to get my steps in every day I'll walk or jog in place while watching TV. I use my 2lb weights to help work my arms more as I'm walking, and I do laps around the house on the commercials. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's manageable.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

TRUST ME, do SOMETHING, do ANYTHING, BUT DO IT NOW. I'm 5 years out. I exercised for the first 6 months. Lost my weight. Did great, I was the model patient. Then my life started going chaotic- job change, move, back to grad school, graduated, went back again, lost a parent, changed jobs again, and on and on and on...

In the midst of this all I stopped exercising. I started eating everything in 'small amounts'. I regained about half of my weight. An UGLY health scare about 18 months ago got my act together, but I STILL struggle with finding my 'tribe' for exercise. I've been to classes. Didn't fit in. I tried CrossFit. Loved it but couldn't keep up. I walked. Joined the Y. I have terrible social anxiety specific to exercise.

If I had stuck with it from the beginning I would have reached goal, gotten over my anxiety and been fit today. I lost my regain but still can't find where I fit in for exercise. Just get up and do something. Find what fits, and stick with it.

Start out slow. Don't go too crazy - ease yourself into it. Make sure it is something you find fun! Basically, make it easy for yourself - make it easy to want to do it. I have faith you can find a routine!

As far as motivation goes, I always recommend the MyFitnessPal app/website. Great community, full of awesome people. Check it out!

I have a tip...Get a dog! (Try getting one or two from a shelter.) They are wonderful motivators for getting outside and walking even on days that you don't want to go outside. I try to spend an hour every morning out walking with my dogs and my best friend's pups. We're lucky since we live near lots of woods that have wonderful trails. Nothing beats seeing happy dogs run around like wild puppies!

I'm getting my surgery on Monday next week and am really going to miss doing my daily walk with my pack for a while. I hope to get back up to speed quickly.

My best friend also wants to start weight liftning...and I think that's the only way I could ever start that. Doing exercise with someone else can be a wonderful way of getting started and getting hooked.

Besides the above...I love Water aerobics and swimming. With the summer around the corner, it's the perfect time to start. AND it is easy on the joints and gives you an idea of what you will feel like when you lose the weight which is SO motivating.

Just my two cents. But I feel you on the exercise thing. Motivation is key...but starting is essential!

On 3/21/2019 at 5:47 AM, Healthy_life2 said:

Many of us are busy and have crazy schedules.

Now that we are getting into warmer weather, walking outside will help lift your mood. Workout videos, hand weights in your home or new/used exercise equipment. Bike/elliptical…Start slow and build on your fitness level as you progress.

When you’re not working on the weekends plan to get more activity/exercise in.

Do it even when it sucks. Make it a new habit. Use it to calm your stress or replace stress, emotions and eating out of boredom. Once you make it a habit. It becomes a normal and for me enjoyable. (never thought I would say that in life)

Sometimes its perspective not motivation:

A person with cancer that has three months to live would gladly trade places with us for our weight loss and exercise struggles. We get this second chance in life to lose weight and get healthy. Put everything into this first year. You wont regret it.

This motivational video is a bit hard core but some days I need it

Yes my all time favorite!