Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to talk about constipation post op

I apologize if this is too much information, but I need to figure out how to end this horrible Constipation I'm experiencing. I'm in my 5th week after gastric bypass and I'm just starting small amounts of food. I am not taking any pain meds, nor have I after day 3 of the surgery, but I am taking all my Vitamins, which includes Bariatric Advantage soft chew Multivitamins (2 a day) and Celebrate's Iron + C and calcium citrate softchews (1 each per day). I drink two Premier Protein drinks and day (60 grams of Protein total) and approximately drink 60 ounces of Water. The foods I have been eating are unsweetened applesauce, cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes. It takes four days for me to feel like I need to go and then it is MISERABLE. I am chockerblocked to the max. I have had to resort to laxatives and enemas because taking Colace and drinking Smooth Move tea regularly is NOT working. The laxatives only work some of the time and they cause bad cramping. Has anyone else suffered like this and what has worked? Are my vitamins causing this horrific experience and has anyone found a better type of Vitamin that helps with constipation? Is it my protein intake? I feel as if I'm drinking enough water.... would love to know if others have experienced this and how it was solved. Thanks!

I was the same way! I was taking 2 laxatives, 2 stool softeners, eating 4 prunes, and using Miralax everyday.

My PCP told me to take 200-300mg of magnizium cirate a day for 4 days in the morning. If I needed more help I was to add another dose in the evening. Do that for 4 days. Add another does in the afternoon if I needed to.

I take it 3 times a day now & I have a movement every morning now when I wake up. They aren’t always little rabbit turds either 🤣 anymore.

It was painful getting to the 3 doses a day but it has helped me so much. I still need to do an enema about once a week just to clean it all out.

I have been consipated for for most of my life, the surgery & the eating of small amounts of food at a time just made it all worse!

I also use the Poo Keeper app to keep track of everything.

Thanks Toodlerue! I can not take capsules, tablets, or caplets yet so did you use the oral solution? I see online that folks often drink an entire bottle as colonoscopy prep. How much do you think I'd have to drink to get the desired effect?

49 minutes ago, Michelle Nunnery said:

Which Vitamins do you take? I also suffer from this. My surgeon told me to take the max amount suggested on dulcolax then miralax the days after.

I take two softchews of Bariatric Advantage multivitamins, one softchew of calcium citrate (Celebrate) and one softchew of Iron + C (Celebrate).

I initially had to take milk of magnesia 2-3x a day once I moved on from liquids. Now if it’s been 30 hours I take a half to full dose to keep things regular. My doctor didn’t allowed potatoes until 4 months out and no fruit veggies or applesauce. That may be causing the issue too. I have 1 shake, one yogurt, a laughing cow soft cheese then about 2 ounces of tuna or an egg. I’m also really strict with drinking at least 64 oz of fluids. The thing that I think helps me most is eating a quarter cup of retried Beans. It’s basically my only source of Fiber so if it’s been 24 hours that’s what I eat. Now I only need to take the milk of magnesia 1-2 x week. I had tried a stool softner a few days after surgery and hope to never do that again. I was miserable with cramping.

Also-I didn’t get he cherry flavored. I got the original one that says sugar free.

Okay so whatever you guys do, DO NOT drink mag citrate liquid.
It could cause a lot of pain and suffering.

I do a scoop of Miralax every other day in my Water and things don’t get too bad.
I’ve had severe Constipation a few times, but if I do the miralax every day it’s too much.
The thought of using a stimulant laxative is just flat-out scary to me.

Still trying to find that balance.

I use a glycerin suppository to melt the hard poos. They are inexpensive like 3 or so bucks for 100ish at wm. BUT weird if you are not used to putting anything in your butt. They are small so it doesn't hurt. You just poke one in and then go do housework or something and 20-30 mins later everything is like soft serve. I probably have to use it 3 times a week. If I don't poo by night time then I'll use one or if I eat a heavy meat like steak or chicken breast I will use one in the morning. It's simple and doesn't cause any cramping and I like not having another pill to keep track of or remember to take.

Edited by Sweettoothless

9 hours ago, Sweettoothless said:

I use a glycerin suppository to melt the hard poos. They are inexpensive like 3 or so bucks for 100ish at wm. BUT weird if you are not used to putting anything in your butt. They are small so it doesn't hurt. You just poke one in and then go do housework or something and 20-30 mins later everything is like soft serve. I probably have to use it 3 times a week. If I don't poo by night time then I'll use one or if I eat a heavy meat like steak or chicken breast I will use one in the morning. It's simple and doesn't cause any cramping and I like not having another pill to keep track of or remember to take.

"Soft serve" ha ha! Thanks for this information. I actually bought some but haven't used them yet. Is there any negative to using them as often as you do? I'm started taking the maximum allotted Doculax tablets but the cramping and some nausea as a result are not fun either. I know laxatives are not the best solution long-term. I just cannot swallow that awful viscous Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Makes me gag. Would much rather go the suppository route than vomit the Phillips. I appreciate you responding!

11 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so whatever you guys do, DO NOT drink mag citrate liquid.
It could cause a lot of pain and suffering.

I do a scoop of Miralax every other day in my Water and things don’t get too bad.
I’ve had severe Constipation a few times, but if I do the miralax every day it’s too much.
The thought of using a stimulant laxative is just flat-out scary to me.

Still trying to find that balance.

Thanks for the warning! The reviews on Amazon say the oral solution "works like a charm" but I think you need to drink a whole bottle. I will get some Miralex powder today. The only thing that has had any effect so far (and it's minimal) is the Doculux tablets (so tiny I take them whole). They do make me feel horrible though in terms of cramping, nausea. I honestly find the constipation the worse part of the post-surgery process... Can you taste the Miralax? I had some issues with constipation during the Clear Liquids pre-op diet but I added Benefiber to my Water and it worked great. I started Benefiber again (did NOT work) and besides, some posters say that fiber is NOT ALLOWED at this stage. Yes, finding the balance is very hard.

12 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Try upping your Water a bit more to 70 or 80 oz a day and get some exercise in (helps to keep things moving). Also get some green leafy veggies into your diet.

I take 2 teaspoons of Benefibre in Water once or twice daily, and I think it helps.

Hi there, Benefiber worked very well for me prior to the surgery but I have been told by lots of folks that fiber is a no-no soon after surgery (I'm 5 weeks post-op). How long after surgery did you start taking it? Thanks for the recommendations. Now that the weather is getting warmer I need to start walking during my lunch hours as I'm behind a computer all day!

I use benefiber with every Protein Shake I mix up in the morning and switch up with some mirrolax if things need a little extra kick. I bought some of the glycerin because it got bad in the beginning but never used them, and I could have named some of my bm's... All that Protein will block you up like a cornered racoon.

Take fiber suppliments with meals. The fiber absorbs Water from the intestines. If you are having such problems, I would make fiber a part of each meal, not inbetween.

I haven't had such problems, but when I started crapping bricks that clogged the commode for a day or two (no joke), I started eating fiber Gummy chews. Problem solved. I was not getting fiber in my meals, and I hated all fiber suppliments, but the gummy chews are awesome, almost like a sweet candy.< br>
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app