Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for surgery, very scared. Tips??

I am looking at having VSG surgery in May of this year. I'm really nervous, and not really sure what to expect. I've have 8 surgeries in my life, I'm 21, so I'm not scared of surgery, just of this particular procedure. I'd appreciate any tips, advice, support, and help.

I am 67 and had no problems. Gas pain from surgery,and low energy for a couple weeks is all. Just follow Dr instructions for pre op and post op.

I think everyone is different. Reading all these stories, I certainly have been having a radically different experience from others! I ended up in the hospital for four days because I had an internal bleed and lost a lot of blood. But I didn't take any narcotics on the last day in the hospital or at all when I got home. And only needed Tylenol for like two days. I have not had any nausea or vomiting, very minimal pain, no dumping syndrome, nothing. I also have no appetite so the diet has been fine.

I had super low energy for about a week and a half, but as soon as I got home from the hospital my mom made me start walking. First three days home I walked 3 times 10 minutes, but then she made me do 8 times 10 minutes every day after. Only one or twice was I not able to make it.

I'm feeling a bit shakey and still not 100% on my energy levels and I'm almost 3 weeks post now. But other than that I am super grateful as to how good my recovery has been. All my complications happened in the hospital and it's been smooth sailing since. So know that it's possible!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think everyone is different. Reading all these stories, I certainly have been having a radically different experience from others! I ended up in the hospital for four days because I had an internal bleed and lost a lot of blood. But I didn't take any narcotics on the last day in the hospital or at all when I got home. And only needed Tylenol for like two days. I have not had any nausea or vomiting, very minimal pain, no dumping syndrome, nothing. I also have no appetite so the diet has been fine.

I had super low energy for about a week and a half, but as soon as I got home from the hospital my mom made me start walking. First three days home I walked 3 times 10 minutes, but then she made me do 8 times 10 minutes every day after. Only one or twice was I not able to make it.

I'm feeling a bit shakey and still not 100% on my energy levels and I'm almost 3 weeks post now. But other than that I am super grateful as to how good my recovery has been. All my complications happened in the hospital and it's been smooth sailing since. So know that it's possible!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate hearing people experiences. I wish you luck on the rest of your journey! Your doing great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Like you, I've had a lot of surgery in the past. My VSG was the easiest recovery of the lot. Best decision ever!

My experience has been quite the opposite of what I was thinking would happen. I was sleeved March 11 and as of this moment in time I am feeling very regretful of my decision to do this. The pain was absolutely horrible. I have slightly managed to get my pain under control, but I only sleep like 2 hours at a time because I am so uncomfortable. Drinking my meals when I am starving is so hard. Compared to most other people on this site, I have a lot of negative feelings about this surgery.

My experience has been quite the opposite of what I was thinking would happen. I was sleeved March 11 and as of this moment in time I am feeling very regretful of my decision to do this. The pain was absolutely horrible. I have slightly managed to get my pain under control, but I only sleep like 2 hours at a time because I am so uncomfortable. Drinking my meals when I am starving is so hard. Compared to most other people on this site, I have a lot of negative feelings about this surgery.

I've heard the first week or so is super hard. I really believe you can do this! Hold on, and stay in there! From what people have said it's going to be worth it in the long run. I havent have wls yet, I'm due in may....but I've had 6 ankle surgeries from a break when I was 10...still have issues with it. I get the no sleep, on top of the wrenching pains. I hope it gets better for you!

I've heard the first week or so is super hard. I really believe you can do this! Hold on, and stay in there! From what people have said it's going to be worth it in the long run. I havent have wls yet, I'm due in may....but I've had 6 ankle surgeries from a break when I was 10...still have issues with it. I get the no sleep, on top of the wrenching pains. I hope it gets better for you!

Thank you for your encouraging words. I an trying really hard to not think so negatively.

The first week is the toughest in regards to discomfort, but then it’s smooth sailing! I found that for me the biggest challenge is taking small sips and bites of everything that goes in your mouth. It’s just a matter of getting used to. I don’t regret a thing, this surgery is changing my life.

The first week is the toughest in regards to discomfort, but then it’s smooth sailing! I found that for me the biggest challenge is taking small sips and bites of everything that goes in your mouth. It’s just a matter of getting used to. I don’t regret a thing, this surgery is changing my life.
I beg to differ, I think YOU are changing you life! :) Regardless, thanks for sharing!

I am 5 weeks out and I got some great advice before my surgery, that I will pass along. Stock up you pantry before your surgery, with quick and easy post op foods. I got concentrated Bone Broth so I could make a mug at a time. I got cream of wheat, Triple Zero greek yogurt, Premier Protein shakes, and lots of eggs. I found eggs were my best friends. Also having egg drop Soup delivers from my local Chinese restaurant was a regular event the first few weeks. You will do great!

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, SargentSkittles said:

I am looking at having VSG surgery in May of this year. I'm really nervous, and not really sure what to expect. I've have 8 surgeries in my life, I'm 21, so I'm not scared of surgery, just of this particular procedure. I'd appreciate any tips, advice, support, and help.

ok first love the little dude in your picture! is he yours?

second the jitters are normal. most all of us considered backing out at some point due to the huge life changing process this is. You got this. I was 51 when I had mine done, turned 52 shortly after. worse thing for me was the gas pains, once that passed it ahs been smooth sailing!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, Catherine Wible said:

I am 5 weeks out and I got some great advice before my surgery, that I will pass along. Stock up you pantry before your surgery, with quick and easy post op foods. I got concentrated Bone Broth so I could make a mug at a time. I got cream of wheat, Triple Zero greek yogurt, Premier Protein shakes, and lots of eggs. I found eggs were my best friends. Also having egg drop Soup delivers from my local Chinese restaurant was a regular event the first few weeks. You will do great!

EGGS are still in my daily diet!

ok first love the little dude in your picture! is he yours?
second the jitters are normal. most all of us considered backing out at some point due to the huge life changing process this is. You got this. I was 51 when I had mine done, turned 52 shortly after. worse thing for me was the gas pains, once that passed it ahs been smooth sailing!
Yes! Thank you, that my bearded dragon Cider :) thank you for your comforting words. I am amazed to see how many people have gone, or are going through this with me :)