Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2.5 years out from gastric bypass. I had lost 100 lbs but have gained about 15 back. In November my blood sugar started dropping out of nowhere. I have seen my both my gastric doctor and my pcp and they both tell me to cut carbs and eat every two hours. Those are both ok but I have found that if I eat some carbs along with Protein I have many less episodes which is great except I'm scared I'm going to gain. Anyone with experience or advice on this? I have an apt with a endocrinologist that specializes in bariatric patients but it is not until November.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Can you add your carbs in with fruit or sweet potatoes? Something that has Fiber?

Too many simple carbs will make me have it. Also alcohol will.

I do better with adequate Protein, healthy fat, and lots of leafy greens and low glycemic veggies, and a few berries here or there.

Sorry you are having this!

Just had my 3 year sleeve follow up and now, I am finding the same thing. My sugar goes from fastin 99 first thing to dropping to 70 after a few hours after having broccoli, eggs and sunflower seeds for Breakfast. Thought Protein was supposed to NOT cause a reaction. Having to rethink my meal plans now. Monintoring this morning and it started dropping within 15 mins after I ate. What the heck! Thought carbs were the enemy.

I too am experiencing severe episodes of reactive hypoglycemia. I’ve been hospitalized 3 times in the last 2 months. My sugar drops rapidly. It’ll go from 60 to 37 in minutes. Assigned to an endocrinologist team my last hospitalization and have now been prescribed Acarbose & a told to eat 6 small meals, high Protein some fat & no more than 30 grams of carbs each meal. Just started med yesterday and concentrating very hard on following diet. It’s basically the Keto & I could stand to loose about 10-15 lbs so I’m eager to try this. I’m wearing a freestyle glucosemeter (no pricking) to help track sugar & bump it up before I start feeling the symptoms. I’m also carrying glucose tablets to bump it up quickly. I have an appointment next week with endo to discuss progress & decide if anything additional or different needs to be done. I pray that something can be done because living with this has turned my life upside down. I’m afraid to drive long distances; lots of confusion; no interest in usual activities and also depression has set in. I feel awful that I’ve put my family through this worry simply because I chose to have the surgery. But I would have it all over again if given the choice of being very unhealthy & obese and my life as it is now. I just have to remember that and I’ll get through this! Sorry for being long winded. I just felt if anyone would understand my feelings it would be my fellow bypass friends. Take care, I’ll keep all posted as I go thru this. 😊

Hey Peach, do understand, THIS MAY BE AHEAD FOR ME!

Well, let’s keep each other updated on what works & what doesn’t. And maybe we can educate the drs along the way.

I am an insulin-dependent diabetic and have to definitely watch my carbs. I have had several Low blood sugar‘s but can take care of them with Glucose tablets. Good luck I know that you can get through this.