Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 3 days from surgery. I have been trying so hard to stick to my liquid diet, but I have cheated a little.... like today, I liquified the chili I made. Now, it’s a liquid, and high in Protein low, low in fat, but I dont know if I’m really supposed to have it. Any cheating I’ve done has been healthy; like a salad, absolutely no junk food! I’m so grumpy though and I hate it :(

anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom to share? Or just reassure me that this too will pass. I’m getting nervous about surgery too (I’ve never had surgery before), and that doesn’t help I’m sure. It’s like I feel out of control while being in control... if that makes any sense 😕

salad may be healthy but it is also completely the wrong kind of texture for this stage of your healing. Surgeons have dietary recommendations for a reason. Carry on eating things that you shouldnt be and you run the risk of a leak, blockage or worse!

You also have to ask yourself if you can't manage not to cheat on day 3 how are you going to cope on week 3, month 3, year 3?

Do you really want to set yourself up for failure after what you have just been through?

Oops just realised you are 3 days presurgery, not post!

Ignore what I said

4 minutes ago, elcee said:

salad may be healthy but it is also completely the wrong kind of texture for this stage of your healing. Surgeons have dietary recommendations for a reason. Carry on eating things that you shouldnt be and you run the risk of a leak, blockage or worse!

You also have to ask yourself if you can't manage not to cheat on day 3 how are you going to cope on week 3, month 3, year 3?

Do you really want to set yourself up for failure after what you have just been through?

I’m three days away from surgery, I haven’t had it yet. I’m in the preop liquid phase, but thank you for your response

Edited by ZGal

2 hours ago, ZGal said:

I’m 3 days from surgery. I have been trying so hard to stick to my liquid diet, but I have cheated a little.... like today, I liquified the chili I made. Now, it’s a liquid, and high in Protein low, low in fat, but I dont know if I’m really supposed to have it. Any cheating I’ve done has been healthy; like a salad, absolutely no junk food! I’m so grumpy though and I hate it :(

anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom to share? Or just reassure me that this too will pass. I’m getting nervous about surgery too (I’ve never had surgery before), and that doesn’t help I’m sure. It’s like I feel out of control while being in control... if that makes any sense 😕

I cheated a little as well, though it was earlier in my pre-op diet, and I was alright. :) (And unlike you, mine was an unhealthy-ish cheat, lol!) I don't think one day is going to affect it that much though, to be honest, especially when your surgery is right around the corner. The diet is to shrink the liver and also get you prepared for eating much smaller portions, so yeah, you should be alright. Just try your absolute best to stick right to your diet for the next few days, since you don't want to mess that part up!

It was also my first surgery as well, when I had my VSG. I was absolutely terrified, and I told my nurse as well as all the hospital workers that were prepping me for surgery. I mean, they could see my terror, lol! If you can, ask if they will give you something to calm your nerves (if you feel like you need it!) You will get through it though, however scary it seems right now. You can do this!

And also, if you need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me! I'm happy to share my experiences! Best of luck to you! 🎉

It really depends on the program how restrictive your pre-surgery diet is. In my program, the surgeon explained that it's primary purpose was to shrink the liver to make access to the surgery site easier. They have to lift the liver to work underneath it and a fatty liver is more fragile and susceptible to damage during the lifting. You are helping to ensure the least possible risk of complications during surgery by following your pre-surgery diet to the letter.

The pre-surgery diet is essentially a Keto diet made simple through the use of very low carb shakes (in my case, Optifast 900). As your body goes into ketosis, it burns fat stores for energy. Physiologically, you body burns fat from the liver first as it's easiest to access. Ketosis is an on or off thing, and when switched off, takes a day or two to get started again. If you provide your body with any other carb source (simple or complex), ketosis gets switched off.

The salad wouldn't make any difference, unless there was cheese or fruit or dressing on it. The chilli however, while usually a great healthy choice, contains lots of complex carbs from the Beans and would have stopped ketosis. On a keto diet, you can not have any legumes for this reason.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but every single instruction you will receive on how or what to eat has a reason behind it that will contribute to the best possible outcomes from your procedure. It sounds harsh, but each time you cheat, your outcomes get a teeny bit worse.

Good luck with your procedure - you're going to do great!

The liquid diet for reducing the size of of the liver, so the surgeon has an easier time, and I believe there is less blood the surgeon has to deal with.

I don't this the liquid chili will pose a problem. Just get back to the regular stuff for the liquid diet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks folks! My surgery went well, no issues with my liver. I’m just sticking to my liquids now. I have no desire to eat anything and I’m focusing on getting my Water in.