Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much exercise are you guys doing and is it helping to take the pounds of faster? And what kind of exercise are you doing?

Edited by AtlantaGirl

I go to the gym nearly every day. Typically, I only have 45 minutes for it so I do 30 minutes of cardio and then 15 minutes of weights....not the same weights every day. I rotate through arms and legs and back. I don't know if it helps with weight loss but it helps with the inches and I feel awesome because I got to move.

I’m doing Brazilian jujutsu and Japanese jujutsu 6 times a week between the 2 of them and yes it does help

I’m sure it helps but to be completely honest I have lost most of my weight doing minimal exercise although my job is very active.

I hope to change this about myself as I know exercise is essential to good health.

I only exercise about twice a week, thirty on the treadmill and thirty on the stairclimber/escalator thingy.

I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week doing 30 minutes cardio and 15 minutes of strength training. I don't know if it affects the weight loss or numbers on the scale, but it's toning my skin and making me feel better.

As I am not yet six weeks post op, I am only walking. It has helped with the weight loss because I am burning the little bit of calories that I am consuming. I usually eat one of my meals before doing so, something that is high in Protein. I plan on doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) when allowed. I personally believe that walking, trying to walk at high pace, is the only exercise that I need to continue to do, however, I am feeling really good and excited about doing more. I have always wanted to be an "athlete." Not sure why I have this need. Prior to my weight gain with my first child, I did a lot of running and even completed a sprint triathlon, so that is my goal again. The big thing, as mentioned above, exercise is important for your health-not just physically, but it is also good for your mental health. Find something that interests you and will keep you motivated. I live in China where walking is done by everyone, it is free and it is helping me reach my goals faster.

@AtlantaGirl

Does it take off the weight faster? This is a great video that can answer that question. Where does the fat go when you lose weight?

I am four years out. I walked until I was released to exercise by my surgeon. I started working out slow and had to build up my fitness level. Wow, I can remember being out of breath after a half hour. I was a true couch potatoe.

You never know where your WLS journey can take you. Be open to possibilities. Fitness goal are different for each of us. Find what you enjoy and motivates you.

My personal experience, I went from 245 to 140 in six months. I do believe exercise helped my weight loss. My exercise routine was elliptical (an hour) and a bit of weight lifting. My fitness level and routine developed over time. My goal was to do a 5K race for cancer in memory of my mother. Even if I walked it I would have been happy. I ran the race and cried like a baby at the end. I met that goal and continued to do a 10K, half marathon and a full marathon. I am 50 years old. Never in my life did I think I would be doing this.

35 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

@AtlantaGirl

Does it take off the weight faster? This is a great video that can answer that question. Where does the fat go when you lose weight?

I am four years out. I walked until I was released to exercise by my surgeon. I started working out slow and had to build up my fitness level. Wow, I can remember being out of breath after a half hour. I was a true couch potatoe.

You never know where your WLS journey can take you. Be open to possibilities. Fitness goal are different for each of us. Find what you enjoy and motivates you.

My personal experience, I went from 245 to 140 in six months. I do believe exercise helped my weight loss. My exercise routine was elliptical (an hour) and a bit of weight lifting. My fitness level and routine developed over time. My goal was to do a 5K race for cancer in memory of my mother. Even if I walked it I would have been happy. I ran the race and cried like a baby at the end. I met that goal and continued to do a 10K, half marathon and a full marathon. I am 50 years old. Never in my life did I think I would be doing this.

Thank you for sharing that is so inspirational. I can't wait to get clearance to go back to the gym in a couple of weeks.

20 hours ago, seaforest said:

I go to the gym nearly every day. Typically, I only have 45 minutes for it so I do 30 minutes of cardio and then 15 minutes of weights....not the same weights every day. I rotate through arms and legs and back. I don't know if it helps with weight loss but it helps with the inches and I feel awesome because I got to move.

Yes. I am trying to push myself to go every day. After I was released to exercise, I was going about 4 days. Now, I am pushing myself to go more. It does feel good to move.

Exercise is very different for lots of folks. For example, as soon as I started running the weight literally MELTED right off me. A friend of mine ran and ran and ran, and nada. As soon as she added weights in, it kicked started her loss.

I just ordered a fitness tracker. I’ve put it off til now because my previous low amount of activity depressed me to no end. It says it has a sedentary alarm that will let you know when you’ve been sitting for too long. I’m looking forward to that extra push and accountability.

I walk at least 45 minutes (or more) every day and twice a week I work out with a trainer weight lifting and cross training. I really should do more, my weight loss would probably speed up.

I do 30 mins every day, switching between cardio, strength training and abs/yoga. I run when I can but it is hard with my schedule. The time is changing this weekend so I can go in the morning before work