Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know I'm not being impulsive?

I don’t think you sound impulsive. Even if you were, the process to get surgery can be frustrating and long. I’ve been considering surgery for five years at least. Only now that my insurance changed is it a possibility for me. I went to a seminar with the surgeon in December, had to reschedule my intake appointment in February, and probably won’t get surgery until June once Ive jumped through all the hoops, and that’s without a 6 month supervised diet. I think that being active in communities like this, discussing your plans with your doctor, and making any changes you can ahead of surgery is a good way to gauge your level of commitment. I wish you all the best with whichever option you choose.

I made my consultation appointment just a day or two after deciding I wanted bariatric surgery. I still had 3 weeks before the appointment to do more research, which just solidified my decision. I'm about halfway through the process right now, hoping to have surgery this summer.

I don't think you're being impulsive. I had a moment in mid August where I just had it with my weight. WLS was never ever an option in my mind prior to that point. It was something drastic and invasive "other" people did who had no self control. And yet I have been on some kind of diet every year for the past 15+ years and I was steadily approaching 300 lbs. I knew I had to do something. I simply couldn't do it on my own anymore. I knew in my heart I had exhausted all options. I tried every diet known to man. I called the surgeons office that afternoon and had my 1st seminar with the hospital 2 weeks from that date and my 1st consult with him 2 weeks after that. My insurance required me to jump through hoops so I had 4 months to think about it and research. I read every article, the pros and cons, watched YouTube videos and lurked message boards to get the full picture of what I was signing myself up for. If I paid out of pocket my surgeon would have been able to do my surgery within 4-6 weeks from 1st consultation with him. I was annoyed with the 4 month supervised dieting process because as someone said above, I've been dieting most of my whole life! Lol. But I rolled with the punches and I am currently 6 days post-op and feel this already is the best decision I've ever made. If you have exhausted all options, remain unhappy with your weight, unhappy with the state of your health due to your weight, did your research and desire a healthier happier you...go for it! I'm so glad I didn't wait and got the process going as soon as I did.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, Its_Kai said:

I don't think you're being impulsive. I had a moment in mid August where I just had it with my weight. WLS was never ever an option in my mind prior to that point. It was something drastic and invasive "other" people did who had no self control. And yet I have been on some kind of diet every year for the past 15+ years and I was steadily approaching 300 lbs. I knew I had to do something. I simply couldn't do it on my own anymore. I knew in my heart I had exhausted all options. I tried every diet known to man. I called the surgeons office that afternoon and had my 1st seminar with the hospital 2 weeks from that date and my 1st consult with him 2 weeks after that. My insurance required me to jump through hoops so I had 4 months to think about it and research. I read every article, the pros and cons, watched YouTube videos and lurked message boards to get the full picture of what I was signing myself up for. If I paid out of pocket my surgeon would have been able to do my surgery within 4-6 weeks from 1st consultation with him. I was annoyed with the 4 month supervised dieting process because as someone said above, I've been dieting most of my whole life! Lol. But I rolled with the punches and I am currently 6 days post-op and feel this already is the best decision I've ever made. If you have exhausted all options, remain unhappy with your weight, unhappy with the state of your health due to your weight, did your research and desire a healthier happier you...go for it! I'm so glad I didn't wait and got the process going as soon as I did.

Sent from my LG-K550 using BariatricPal mobile app

This sounds exactly how I came to looking into bariatric surgery, I had never really thought of it as an option before