Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion Sizes

I have only felt 'overfull' on two occasions and it was that one more bite that put me over the edge. it was one of those things I knew but I did it anyway,. I struggle with visual vs weight of portions. I need to go back to weighing them.

Have you tried putting some unflavored Protein Powder in your Soup? That might help with reducing hunger.
Yes and I just really hate the taste of it.... I'm just so confused on why I can eat that much...

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I couldn’t eat much once I advanced to the soft food stage. A couple tablespoons and I was full. I’m 9-months post-op, and right now, I can eat between 3-4 ounces of food, depending upon whatever it is I’m eating at the time. Never more than 4 ounces, and I’m always full afterward.
So you think the soft stage may be the time to see how many oz I'm eating rather than compare to the pureed stage? I'm still on purees right now... and I can eat more than 4 oz easy.

I have been told 125ml to 250ml per meal. I struggle sometimes with measuring. I’m fine if it’s something in a bowl but food that gets eaten from a plate is a bit harder.
I sometimes wonder if I have eaten too much but I generally leave something on the plate. So far I have not had any symptoms of being full - I just try to stop when I mentally think I’ve eaten enough
Have you been having successful weight loss? It seems you and I are in similar situations.

Just now, Tejee said:

Have you been having successful weight loss? It seems you and I are in similar situations.

I am only 6 weeks post op but yes I have been successful. I was a revision so I didn't have a high starting weight but I am already back in the healthy weight range.

I'm one week and one day out, and although I am never really hungry, I can eat 2 poached eggs without any issues but it takes me 2 sittings to get an 11 oz Protein Shake down. I add the sugar free Protein powder to it so I get the protein I need. Water is easy though. I can drink 48 oz a day easily, so with the shake , a small v8, and a cup of Soup I am right in the Fluid requirement range. I think it is because I like my poached eggs lightly poached, so they are very thin and just slide down once pureed.

I’m a year and a half out. I never truly felt full until I got to soft/solids. I think I was told about 2 Oz for Snacks and max 6 for meals. I measured everything until I developed complications because now I can barely eat liquids or solids so I eat whenever I can.

I’m a year and a half out. I never truly felt full until I got to soft/solids. I think I was told about 2 Oz for Snacks and max 6 for meals. I measured everything until I developed complications because now I can barely eat liquids or solids so I eat whenever I can.

I stay between 2-4 oz otherwise I get "the foamies" or feel nauseous or something.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, zombieskayer said:

I eat a max of 4oz at a time but most of the time I can only get 2 or 3oz. I couldn't imagine getting two poached eggs. I can barely finish one egg most days.

LOL. Give it time. You will...

10 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I stay between 2-4 oz otherwise I get "the foamies" or feel nauseous or something.

I get that too! ugh

I went back to weighing my portions. eyeballing it did not do me any favors

My first thought is what did your dr recommend for this stage. If your only supposed to have 1/4 cup, it’s for a reason. It’s generally for your stomach, aka pouch, to heal. I understand being hungry, and I definitely understand not enduring Protein Shakes, but do your best to adhere to the recommenced program. It’ll be better for you in the long run! Best of luck!

Gradycat, foamies are the worst. I was getting it every single time I ate but now I’m lucky and just wake up choking on vomit and bile. So much fun!

How would you say the sleeve has helped you compared to when you dieted before you had it? I'm wondering how it is going to be different. I'm feeling very confused on if the sleeve will be right for me or if I should continue to just keep trying to get on a food plan and exercise to lose weight. I've been trying for years with me losing then gaining more back. How has it been for people managing hunger and cravings? I worry about it still being really hard and that I won't be able to keep from eating or eating the wrong things. I hear people talk about having to watch their portions and a lot of what sounds like dieting plus exercising. I'm willing to put in the work, but I've failed so many times. Did anyone else worry about this and how has it been for you? Are you happy you had it done?