Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for 2 week liquid diet😬

Call me crazy but I am practicing for my liquid pre op diet. My doctor requires a two week liquid diet pre operatively. The list says no fruit or yogurt😐. I don’t want to go into the two weeks cold and set myself up for cheats and extreme bitchiness. Has anyone prepped for the liquid diet by doing a few days here and there leading up to surgery?

1 minute ago, jenifaoh said:

Call me crazy but I am practicing for my liquid pre op diet. My doctor requires a two week liquid diet pre operatively. The list says no fruit or yogurt😐. I don’t want to go into the two weeks cold and set myself up for cheats and extreme bitchiness. Has anyone prepped for the liquid diet by doing a few days here and there leading up to surgery?

I did not have to do full liquids, but two Protein Shakes a day and a small midday meal (4ozs). It is hard, but you can do diet juices, flavored waters, etc.

Yes. I have found my favorite crystal light flavors, herbal teas and Powerade zero.

You can do it!!! The one thing I wasn’t prepared for was the lethargy and complete lack of energy. I was on full , Clear Liquids so I couldn’t do Protein Shakes. I used Protein waters and found I really liked the fruit flavored ones. I find them too sweet now but at the time they were great. sugar free popsicles were a God send. I liked the broths but they had a tendency to go right through me. But no, in answer to your question. I didn’t do any trials beforehand. You got this!!!

Ugh I didn’t think about the low energy part just the hungry part😬

Oh yes, I practiced for a month before my pre-op and surgery so that I'd be ready.

My surgeon had me on a low fat diet a month before surgery and about 2 days clear liquids only before surgery .. I would recommend you to do that because I heard it will help so much post opp since you’ll be a little accustomed to it .. good luck, you got this 😁

That's a good idea. Personally I've been eating a lot of yogurt, and drinking plenty of herbal teas. I also have some left over herbalife power that I am finishing up so, I have one shake a day. I am trying not to gain any weight to avoid a denial from my insurance.

It is hard, but it does eventually get easier. broth and sugar free popsicles were a lifesaver.

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas. I picked up some sugar free popsicles and will be trying them as a snack.

Jenifaoh I found out today I need to do a 1 week liquid diet. Omg I'm afraid I will cheat. I can't imagine 2 weeks. Good luck and hopefully it goes quick!

I have to take 4 scoops of vega all in one shake and 250 calories or low glycemic index veggies a day plus supplements. I started a few days early.. it was hard the first two days but now I'm getting used to it. As for the hungry part what I found is if I keep myself busy or talk to people I don't feel the hunger pangs that much.. and drink lots of water.. Water helps a lot with the hunger pangs. Wish you the all the best.

Sent from my SM-G950W using BariatricPal mobile app

I had to do the 2 week pre-op Protein Shakes and it was very hard for me but I was like you and had all of my "supplies" (Jello, broth, sugar free popsicles, and of course my Protein shakes) beforehand. I lost 17lbs from the 2 week pre-op diet alone but it was difficult and knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have started earlier than I was required.

On 02/13/2019 at 09:33, jenifaoh said:

You won’t cheat. You can’t bc if you do your liver won’t shrink like they need it to. They need it shrunk so they can better visualize your liver. Take this as a lesson in will power bc after the surgery this will be your new life...a birthday of sorts. You can do this. Follow all the rules so you can have the best outcome. Good luck and you can do it!!
(My pre op was liquids only too so I know how hard was and is going to be for you) Focus on the prize girl...A new beginning. Best of luck and you can do this