Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry this is a gross question. Pre surgery when you vomit it is often a large amount and is not discreet to anyone nearby or in the public bathroom you could be in. After surgery you eat once a few ounces. Is it still obvious if you get sick or is it more discreet? I'm guessing its not projectile and not as obvious. I'm just wondering it seems like a lot of people vomit after surgery at some point at work, out in public etc and I am wondering how obvious it is to coworkers etc.

depends on what happens. after surgery twice my stomach rejected what i ate.. the first time.. my head was over a garbage can at work in the middle of the day for an hour and a half.. producing what is so famously called here the foamies.. It is nothing but white foam.. and mucus like vomit.. no acid, no food.. nothing.. the second time was a short foamie issue. From what i hear it is when your stomach does not like what you ate and decides to put you through hell for a short time or a long visit.

I've had "the foamies" twice when trying to eat something that didn't agree with me but it was controllable and not urgent, so while in the restroom at the restaurant I was able to wait until it was clear before I had to spit up. "The foamies" isn't like throwing up food, it's just foamy mucus-like stuff and it's very short-lived, just a couple of spit-ups and it's over.

You're lucky elves, I have had foamies, I have had urp-ups. and a couple times I felt such pain I thought my pouch would involute out my mouth. No, not projectile vomiting, more like a cat retching up a hairball, I'm a RnY so that's the kind I know. Not sure if my sleeved brothers and sisters do the same way or not.
One blessing , if one can regard it as such, my food reflexes and refluxs up so quickly it has no odor. The longest mine has stayed down is a half hour or so. I have upchucked all kinds of stuff, even Water. To Many bystanders it probably looks like a coughing spell. Just another facet to why I am on TPN, Dr Needlemans nurse thought I had progressed to Stage 4 and truly that is where I should be but until everything straightens out if I attempt anything p.o.(by mouth) it is liquids or very thin purees. Only thing not that variety is unsweetened applesauce. This is per Dr Noria, my surgeons partner who is also my endoscopist. This Friday will be my 5th with her and 8th lifetime. I really respect her as well as liking her very much. And I believe I may still have my healing occur, this is just a bump in my road to final ✌ victory. I will be starting tomights feeding in just a few minutes, I am 12 hours on, 12 hours off, have blood labs once a week, only deficiency I have and it is mild, is Iron. I will call OSU in the morning, they were shut down for Martin Luther King Day, find out whether I can address this over-& the -counter or whether I need a prescription. But it still is a fine world, no regrets except I wish my body behaved better, but I would never go back to before surgery,this life still better than life before. I will always be grateful to my facility Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center, my wonderful skillful surgeon 😷
Bradley J Needleman M.D. and most of all to God who made everything possible. A great thing was done for me September 5th 2018 and I am proud of the person I now am becoming, I am. truly a wonderful work in progress. 😝

2 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Sorry this is a gross question. Pre surgery when you vomit it is often a large amount and is not discreet to anyone nearby or in the public bathroom you could be in. After surgery you eat once a few ounces. Is it still obvious if you get sick or is it more discreet? I'm guessing its not projectile and not as obvious. I'm just wondering it seems like a lot of people vomit after surgery at some point at work, out in public etc and I am wondering how obvious it is to coworkers etc.

With the bypass, you don't have the stomach acid coming up with your food. If rejected, it will come right back up the same way it went down and pretty soon after you swallow it. It's not a bad experience, as a matter of fact it's a welcome event if it's not sitting well.

I was never a person that vomited before surgery, and I have not vomited after surgery either. Maybe you’ll get lucky 🍀.