Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch Rules for Dummies - Found this to be interesting

Long, interesting and confusing all at the same time

1 minute ago, elcee said:

Long, interesting and confusing all at the same time

I reformatted it and sent it over to my surgeon office lady to read. They haven't given me any patient education info...none. I asked her to please read it and verify if it's valid otherwise I'm going to follow it since they haven't given me jack crap to go by. (not those exact words, but you know :P )

Let us know what she says.

I feel like this entire article could have probably been reduced to a simple doc about 1/10th its size

5 minutes ago, elcee said:

Let us know what she says.

I feel like this entire article could have probably been reduced to a simple doc about 1/10th its size

Will do!

Yeah it could probably be shorter, but I have no idea where or who it came from or why it was written. Sounds like it was written by a doctor summarizing all the things he/she can think of when it comes to being successful with bypass and what they notice are the causes behind failures. It reads very much like it was an outline for a presentation, maybe for something like a bariatric conference *shrug*. I'm a reading nut, so I dig the 10 pages it turned into when I pasted it into Word :D

Edited by Kimmie K

Welp...here's the verdict from my surgeon's office regarding this information:

"I think a lot of this is not something Dr. Brewer would agree with. I would never recommend Water loading to my patients. What it comes down to is understanding that surgery is a tool and you must learn to use it correctly. We are trying to physically change what is, in fact, a behavioral issue. The person who finds the cure for weight loss (which would be brain surgery) will be a gazillionaire!!

I've attached our book for post op patients. You will see that ours is far less detailed. You can probably combine the two of these. But I think you would likely tire of doing what is in that research paper and would end up depressed. It is good to be very strict with yourself the first 6 months to 1 year following surgery. But if you can use the tool to change your behaviors, there is no need to be this strict forever. I know my patients enjoy food and I don't want the surgery to take that away. Its all about balance (isn't everything)! People are always surprised by my eating habits...they assume I live on fruits and vegetables. But that isn't what I enjoy and it isn't what keeps me healthy..."

Good to know and that makes total sense.

What an amazing find! Read the whole thing. Wish they had one for the sleeve - I wonder if the 6 month thing is true for the sleeve (I've heard it's not) as well as the Water loading

29 minutes ago, Starry*Night said:

What an amazing find! Read the whole thing. Wish they had one for the sleeve - I wonder if the 6 month thing is true for the sleeve (I've heard it's not) as well as the Water loading

Agreed. Even though my surgeon's office lady doesn't agree with the Water loading (she didn't exactly say why) I still think there's tons of valuable info in the post that can be used by everybody to some extent.

Edited by 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺

18 minutes ago, 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺 said:

Agreed. Even though my surgeon's office lady doesn't agree with the Water loading (she didn't exactly say why) I still think there's tons of valuable info in the post.

For me, the most valuable part (and it makes total sense!) is to exercise as much as you can during the period where you don't have hunger. I'm still in that period and have been feeling the desire to exercise more, but in the back of my mind I was worried about overdoing it and then burning out. But usually exercising increases hunger, so if you're able to do it without that happening it makes sense it would boost your weight loss.

Now I don't feel guilty about wanting to exercise a bit more 😊

1 minute ago, Starry*Night said:

For me, the most valuable part (and it makes total sense!) is to exercise as much as you can during the period where you don't have hunger. I'm still in that period and have been feeling the desire to exercise more, but in the back of my mind I was worried about overdoing it and then burning out. But usually exercising increases hunger, so if you're able to do it without that happening it makes sense it would boost your weight loss.

Now I don't feel guilty about wanting to exercise a bit more 😊

Girl, I wouldn't feel guilty either! That's awesome that you get that feeling. I hear that a lot around here. My #1 reason for wanting surgery (aside weight loss) is to be able to work out, run, chase my kids and be active without shame and flopping all over the place LOL I know the shame part is irrational, but it is what it is. I'd say go do what your body feels like it wants to do. If you do too much, you'll know :783_heart_decoration:

3 minutes ago, 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺 said:

Girl, I wouldn't feel guilty either! That's awesome that you get that feeling. I hear that a lot around here. My #1 reason for wanting surgery (aside weight loss) is to be able to work out, run, chase my kids and be active without shame and flopping all over the place LOL I know the shame part is irrational, but it is what it is. I'd say go do what your body feels like it wants to do. If you do too much, you'll know :783_heart_decoration:

Same! I wanted to be able to exercise more - I have an autoimmune condition that is helped by exercise, so being able to exercise is really important for me! I love my indoor cycle - sometimes it feels tedious but it always feels amazing when I'm done. I've actually started entering virtual races so I can complete mileage goals from my home and get a medal lol. For me it's really motivating. This month's goal is to get over 200 miles!

Funny cause I never thought I'd enjoy fitness as a hobby and something I look forward to every day, but I do!

2 minutes ago, Starry*Night said:

Same! I wanted to be able to exercise more - I have an autoimmune condition that is helped by exercise, so being able to exercise is really important for me! I love my indoor cycle - sometimes it feels tedious but it always feels amazing when I'm done. I've actually started entering virtual races so I can complete mileage goals from my home and get a medal lol. For me it's really motivating. This month's goal is to get over 200 miles!

Funny cause I never thought I'd enjoy fitness as a hobby and something I look forward to every day, but I do!

Oooh! Do you have a Peloton bike or something? Holy cow....200miles. I've barely driven that much in my car this month LOL that's awesome!!!

Just now, 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺 said:

Oooh! Do you have a Peloton bike or something? Holy cow....200miles. I've barely driven that much in my car this month LOL that's awesome!!!

It adds up fast! I use something called the DeskCycle, you can find it on Amazon. It's amazing. My surgeon told me to exercise 45 mins a day, so in that time I usually cycle 12-16 miles depending on the resistance I use. Do that every day and the mileage adds up before you know it! I just manually track my mileage and submit it, but some of the virtual racing sites connect to fitness trackers, I just prefer doing it manually.

Now that I read about exercise on here, I'll probably either increase the time I cycle or add more resistance. I usually just watch TV while I cycle anyway, so it gives me an excuse to keep binge watching my shows while making it productive 😝

2 minutes ago, Starry*Night said:

It adds up fast! I use something called the DeskCycle, you can find it on Amazon. It's amazing. My surgeon told me to exercise 45 mins a day, so in that time I usually cycle 12-16 miles depending on the resistance I use. Do that every day and the mileage adds up before you know it! I just manually track my mileage and submit it, but some of the virtual racing sites connect to fitness trackers, I just prefer doing it manually.

Now that I read about exercise on here, I'll probably either increase the time I cycle or add more resistance. I usually just watch TV while I cycle anyway, so it gives me an excuse to keep binge watching my shows while making it productive 😝

LOLOLOLOL Hey, whatever works! I'm gonna go check out that DeskCycle thing! :91_thumbsup: