Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated by lack of information/resources from dr

I’m feeling very frustrated and alone with this process. I had a revision from sleeve to rny to due GERD and Barrets esophogas. I had a bravo study done and my acid scores were in the 90’s. The dr immediately suggested the revision and submitted the paperwork the second week of November. I left for vacation for two weeks and during that time learned that I was approved and they scheduled me for 12/12.

I received zero information from a dietician regarding what I should be doing post-op. The dr gave me a print out of the progression from liquid to soft food and literally that’s it. I didn’t have to do the liquid diet, just Clear Liquids the day before the surgery, and was told to try to eliminate sugar to soften my liver. I have no information on proportion sizes, how many calories, Protein I should be getting daily. It all happened so fast, I wasn’t prepared.

I had a horrible experience in the hospital and ended up having internal bleeding, needed blood transfusion... my oxygen level drop down to mid 50’s a few times. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I’m still bruised and sore 😕 I’m starting to feel better and would like to figure out a game plan since I can’t rely on the dr. Any suggestions on where I could find similar information that you would receive from a dietician? I’m guessing that’s my best bet.

Incase you were curious... I attached a picture of my bruising about 8-9 days after surgery. look how massive they are! That’s not my stomach, although it looks like one:( it’s my waist/hip area.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

also, anyone else still sore 4 weeks after surgery? I still struggle with steps and getting in and out of bed.3285CBD2-FBF6-4D4E-B353-C4D48F42CE0F.thumb.jpeg.7d9f7ba972839e965be92b8dcf048147.jpeg E9E3AFA2-C0DA-4DD9-9141-56CF68EABC22.thumb.jpeg.22e646acb92ea3a9691409304a7a863d.jpeg

I had a horrible experience in the hospital and ended up having internal bleeding, needed blood transfusion... my oxygen level drop down to mid 50’s a few times. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I’m still quite swollen and bruised so I think I will lose a few more once I’m completely healed.

look how massive they are! That’s not my stomach, although it looks like one:( it’s my waist/hip area.

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Just go slow 1 day at a time. You should talk.to a nutritionist but I would think you should push the Protein and fluids. Good luck

It's terrible that they're being so unresponsive, but this will give you an idea.

I was also a sleeve to RnY revision. My doctor uses the same diet protocols for both surgeries:

2 weeks full liquids

2 weeks puree

2 weeks soft

regular foods as tolerated.

Minimum 64 oz fluid/day and 60g Protein.

30-30-30 rule (Don't drink 30 minutes before a meal, during, or 30 minutes after)

Multivitamin with Iron

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

When I'm at a loss for medical advice I always go back to my primary care physician. He always finds time to answer my questions and to offer me the guidance that I need. I have a family friend who is a RN and I also get great advice from her as she will ask physicians she knows for advice and passes it on to me. Do you have a primary care physician or another medical provider that can help you with advice and guidance?

2 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

It's terrible that they're being so unresponsive, but this will give you an idea.

I was also a sleeve to RnY revision. My doctor uses the same diet protocols for both surgeries:

2 weeks full liquids

2 weeks puree

2 weeks soft

regular foods as tolerated.

Minimum 64 oz fluid/day and 60g Protein.

30-30-30 rule (Don't drink 30 minutes before a meal, during, or 30 minutes after)

Multivitamin with Iron

Wow that’s so much protein! Do you know portion sizes?

2 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

When I'm at a loss for medical advice I always go back to my primary care physician. He always finds time to answer my questions and to offer me the guidance that I need. I have a family friend who is a RN and I also get great advice from her as she will ask physicians she knows for advice and passes it on to me. Do you have a primary care physician or another medical provider that can help you with advice and guidance?

I do have a primary doctor but unfortunately, she doesn’t know anything about Bariatric surgery

It is a lot of Protein at first. I rely on tasteless Protein Powder that I can mix into fair life milk (lower sugar, higher protein) or mix into cottage cheese or yogurt. My diet started at 1/4 cup of food 3 x a day. And then the portion went up over time. And no snacking at all in between. Our rule is no drinking 15 mins before and 1 hour after eating.

2 hours ago, Tamzab said:

Wow that’s so much protein! Do you know portion sizes?

I started with just a tablespoon or so and worked up to 1/2 cup over time

And I also had that kind of bruising, started on left and traveled clear across to right. My doctor's theory. They knicked a small surface vein while doing my surgery, when I got enough Lovenex in my system, It started drip, drop dripping, blood had nowhere to go except between skin and fat layer, looked like I was pregnant with an aliens baby 👶, finally faded but it seemed like forever, turned yellow and green in the process.