Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery coming up, and I'm terrified.



Recommended Posts

And also depressed, angry, etc.. (Forewarning: Lots of complaints/rants here!)

My surgery is scheduled for January 15th, and my pre-op diet is 1 month (instead of the usual two weeks) of liquids with a tiny amount of Protein and up to 500g (about a pound) of very select vegetables per day. I'm sick to death of it already, and with the holidays, I just feely shitty that I'm missing out on eating with family and such, so much that I don't even want to leave the house now. And I know that the month or two *after* the surgery is going to be even harder than it is now, which just adds on top of my misery.

On top of that, I keep learning more and more stuff about the surgery that was not mentioned to me by my surgeon (like the fact that Hair loss is common, just as an example.) I'm determined to go through with it, but damnit.. I just feel more and more miserable the more I think about everything I have to let go of. I'm already mourning food as well, and this pre-op diet is difficult since I've yet to hit ketosis or lose my hunger despite being on it about 7 days now. My stomach hurts so much all the time.

My biggest fear is complications, blood clots especially since I don't have the best circulation in my legs especially. I think about it night and day, and I do have bad anxiety, so it's compounded by that, I think. I'm terrified of dying, of leaving my husband behind, my dog.. Everything really. I'm trying to better myself, but it's so. damn. hard.

I apologize for all the complaints and whining either way, and if you got this far, thank you for reading and hearing out my worries and complaints! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to get through it is to keep the end goal in sight. Also the post op diet isn’t harder than preop,it’s easier. I found the 2 week preop diet much much harder than post op BUT I also managed to stick with it which I had never done before. Prior to WLS half a day on a liquid diet and I would have given up.

If there is a risk of clots they will give you blood thinners and specialist stockings, so just tell them about your fears and you will be fine.

Hair loss is a lot less common in those that get in all their recommended Protein and Vitamins. And if your hair does thin a bit it grows back afterwards. I have never heard of anyone ending up bald because of surgery.

All the best, I am sure you will do fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is totally normal to mourn the loss of your current relationship with food. It's been a support and a friend, of sorts. Just remember, it's the bad friend that got you in all sorts of trouble. Just realize, you're not giving up these foods forever, although hopefully, you are giving up the quantities you currently enjoy. Eventually, you'll be able to order your favorite meals at restaurants again. But now, you'll have leftovers to enjoy for 3-4 more meals. (It makes the cost of eating out a lot more reasonable!)

For the Hair loss, start taking your Vitamins now. You can also add Biotin and l-lysine supplements to help support Hair growth. Do not wait until the hair loss starts as I did. By then it's too late.

The first week or two after surgery are hard for most of us. This surgery is a big deal. However, your chances of surgical complications are far less than the chance you'll develop complications due to obesity. Don't focus too much on the next few months. It's tough, but you can get through it. Think about what you want for yourself 2 years from now, 10 years from now . . . The overwhelming percentage of people on these threads think the temporary pain/struggles were well worth it to get a better life in the long run.

5 hours ago, LustyDraconianMaid said:

I just feel more and more miserable the more I think about everything I have to let go of.

Think about how much of your current life is passing you by because you're too big to participate in it.

I wish you well and hope you'll continue to ask your questions and vent when necessary. We've all been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone experiences Hair loss. I didn't. It is really important to follow the daily recommendations for protein to prevent hair loss. Generally those that experience this condition experience this for a short time and then their hair grows back in. This loss of hair issue normally happens when they are near their weight loss goal, several months out after surgery.

Since you are at the beginning of this process, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, elcee said:

The only way to get through it is to keep the end goal in sight. Also the post op diet isn’t harder than preop,it’s easier. I found the 2 week preop diet much much harder than post op BUT I also managed to stick with it which I had never done before. Prior to WLS half a day on a liquid diet and I would have given up.

If there is a risk of clots they will give you blood thinners and specialist stockings, so just tell them about your fears and you will be fine.

Hair loss is a lot less common in those that get in all their recommended Protein and Vitamins. And if your hair does thin a bit it grows back afterwards. I have never heard of anyone ending up bald because of surgery.

All the best, I am sure you will do fine

Hi there! I only recently learned that bariatric Vitamins were something I would need to take (my surgeon/nutritionist didn't mention this at all, actually,) and I thought it was something only bypass patients do. I see now that it's also for sleevers, so I will look into that right away. And I will definitely keep all these tips in mind and be sure to get in my protein/vitamins when that time rolls around.

My hair is quite thick now and one of the things I am quite proud of, so I am just really worried of losing it. I think I made myself panic in the last few days reading, but I realize that it seems to be a temporary thing, and should grow back for most people. So here's to hoping, and either way.. I'm going through with the surgery, even if I go bald and have to wear a wig, lol! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

It is totally normal to mourn the loss of your current relationship with food. It's been a support and a friend, of sorts. Just remember, it's the bad friend that got you in all sorts of trouble. Just realize, you're not giving up these foods forever, although hopefully, you are giving up the quantities you currently enjoy. Eventually, you'll be able to order your favorite meals at restaurants again. But now, you'll have leftovers to enjoy for 3-4 more meals. (It makes the cost of eating out a lot more reasonable!)

For the Hair loss, start taking your Vitamins now. You can also add Biotin and l-lysine supplements to help support Hair growth. Do not wait until the hair loss starts as I did. By then it's too late.

The first week or two after surgery are hard for most of us. This surgery is a big deal. However, your chances of surgical complications are far less than the chance you'll develop complications due to obesity. Don't focus too much on the next few months. It's tough, but you can get through it. Think about what you want for yourself 2 years from now, 10 years from now . . . The overwhelming percentage of people on these threads think the temporary pain/struggles were well worth it to get a better life in the long run.

Think about how much of your current life is passing you by because you're too big to participate in it.

I wish you well and hope you'll continue to ask your questions and vent when necessary. We've all been there.

Hiya!

Yeah, I'm definitely mourning my food loss already, and it's been quite tough. I've been very stressed the last few months in general, and I think that's also making it more difficult. One thing is compounding on the other, that is. I have been doing alright thus far with the pre-op diet, though it does hurt a lot. I have a lot of mental (and sometimes regular) hunger, especially for my old favourites. My husband has even offered to eat outside so I don't smell it, but I wouldn't dare make him do that, lol. And you're right, when we do eat out, it will be much cheaper, considering he is a pretty lanky guy and eats much smaller portions than I ever did. :)

I think it's the first month after the surgery that is worrying me the most, since I know there's going to be pain like I've never felt before. I've never had any surgeries of any kind, never been under anaesthesia, etc, and I have a very low pain threshold. But, I'm determined to make it through whatever comes, and I do have a great support system in my husband and family here.

I'm already checking into the Vitamins, and I'll need to look into those for hairloss as well, since it's a bit different here in Finland with the availability of certain supplements/drugs. I'll check by the pharmacy!

And thank you again for your response! It's much appreciated. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, James Marusek said:

Not everyone experiences Hair loss. I didn't. It is really important to follow the daily recommendations for protein to prevent hair loss. Generally those that experience this condition experience this for a short time and then their hair grows back in. This loss of hair issue normally happens when they are near their weight loss goal, several months out after surgery.

Since you are at the beginning of this process, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Hey there!

With everyone's responses, I'm feeling much better now about the Hair loss. I'm going to get some supplements and start them early as another poster mentioned, and given I have thick hair already, maybe the loss won't even be that much if it does happen at all. (That's my hope, at least!) And even if I do lose hair, it will probably grow back as mentioned. I'll just hope for the best on that part!

That's a very good idea, about carrying the photos with you! I have even thought about posting a picture (in the bedroom, maybe on the back of the door) of my 'before' self just as a reminder to never go back to that point! Another suggestion I found elsewhere was to hang up an article of clothing I really want to wear (but can't yet) on the wall, as a sort of carrot-on-the-stick, lol! (I think I will do both of these!)

I'm already starting to get out and walk, though it's been very hard (and painful) to do so. So far I've managed about 15-20 minutes before my hips want to completely give out, and by 5 minutes in, I'm already in serious pain. But I'm trying to push through it and work up to longer. I do still have time (about 20 days) to get to that point though.

And sodas.. Oh, that's going to be hard to do, but I know I have to do it. I don't want the pouch to expand at all, so my intention is to not buy anymore diets once my last set of four cans is gone. They have been a weakness for me all my life, so it will be difficult, but I know I need to let go in order to have success.

Thank you as well for all the tips, and I'll be sure to keep it all in mind! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 2:41 AM, LustyDraconianMaid said:

And also depressed, angry, etc.. (Forewarning: Lots of complaints/rants here!)

My surgery is scheduled for January 15th, and my pre-op diet is 1 month (instead of the usual two weeks) of liquids with a tiny amount of Protein and up to 500g (about a pound) of very select vegetables per day. I'm sick to death of it already, and with the holidays, I just feely shitty that I'm missing out on eating with family and such, so much that I don't even want to leave the house now. And I know that the month or two *after* the surgery is going to be even harder than it is now, which just adds on top of my misery.

On top of that, I keep learning more and more stuff about the surgery that was not mentioned to me by my surgeon (like the fact that Hair loss is common, just as an example.) I'm determined to go through with it, but damnit.. I just feel more and more miserable the more I think about everything I have to let go of. I'm already mourning food as well, and this pre-op diet is difficult since I've yet to hit ketosis or lose my hunger despite being on it about 7 days now. My stomach hurts so much all the time.

My biggest fear is complications, blood clots especially since I don't have the best circulation in my legs especially. I think about it night and day, and I do have bad anxiety, so it's compounded by that, I think. I'm terrified of dying, of leaving my husband behind, my dog.. Everything really. I'm trying to better myself, but it's so. damn. hard.

I apologize for all the complaints and whining either way, and if you got this far, thank you for reading and hearing out my worries and complaints! ❤️

What’s more important your Health? Or your hair ? food is an addiction every thing in ones life is surrounded by food .You have to take control this Surgery is a tool not a quick fix .Im 8 Months out eating is a chore I now hate to eat .The Hair loss by the way only last a short time unless you are really Malnutrited .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×