Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop not losing

Ive been on a 14-day preop diet, 7 days full liquids no food, 7 days clear liquid no food. I have NOT cheated. Now I'm on the 3 days of clear liquid so 10 days of fasting thus far. I was so bad by day 7 developed the shakes, got light head and stumbled a few times catching myself before I fainted. I'm only getting about 800 or less a day calories, 70 avg (some days lower some days higher) carbs. I'm not in ketosis and I have not lost a pound. I haven't gained but I have not lost. There is no way my liver is shrinking.. I'm just suffering. Im one of those people if I don't eat I don't lose weight. When I was in Weight Watchers, if I didn't eat all my points for the week I didn't lose weight. I only lost weight on the weeks where I came within 5 of my assigned points. So the lack of weight loss is shocking and yet not shocking to me at the same time. But I want to know has this ever happened to anyone else. I called my dr hysterical and the PC called me back and said don't worry about it keep doing the diet and it will be okay. But will it? My surgery is early wed morning next week and its Friday now. I have no reason to lie, I have not cheated at all but I'm extremely tempted to go eat some eggs since this has happened. My regular doctor had to take me off my diabetes meds because my blood sugar dropped so low, that is why I was shaking so badly. That should show I'm not cheating. Why am I not in ketosis? I don't have strips but I have been in ketosis before I remember how my breath smelled and I lost 12 pounds in 7 days so I know I'm not now.

13 hours ago, Beta98 said:

Ive been on a 14-day preop diet, 7 days full liquids no food, 7 days clear liquid no food. I have NOT cheated. Now I'm on the 3 days of clear liquid so 10 days of fasting thus far. I was so bad by day 7 developed the shakes, got light head and stumbled a few times catching myself before I fainted. I'm only getting about 800 or less a day calories, 70 avg (some days lower some days higher) carbs. I'm not in ketosis and I have not lost a pound. I haven't gained but I have not lost. There is no way my liver is shrinking.. I'm just suffering. Im one of those people if I don't eat I don't lose weight. When I was in Weight Watchers, if I didn't eat all my points for the week I didn't lose weight. I only lost weight on the weeks where I came within 5 of my assigned points. So the lack of weight loss is shocking and yet not shocking to me at the same time. But I want to know has this ever happened to anyone else. I called my dr hysterical and the PC called me back and said don't worry about it keep doing the diet and it will be okay. But will it? My surgery is early wed morning next week and its Friday now. I have no reason to lie, I have not cheated at all but I'm extremely tempted to go eat some eggs since this has happened. My regular doctor had to take me off my diabetes meds because my blood sugar dropped so low, that is why I was shaking so badly. That should show I'm not cheating. Why am I not in ketosis? I don't have strips but I have been in ketosis before I remember how my breath smelled and I lost 12 pounds in 7 days so I know I'm not now.

I was not required to do the pre-op diet like most, but the bariatric group I go to just does not require it no matter what size a person is....But I think you will be fine because you are not eating so your liver has to be shrinking even if you do not lose weight...my body is like yours, I need more food to lose weight.

Stay positive and do not give in and keep following your doctors pre-op diet. I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery.

You got this girl ((Hugs))

Edited by Wanda247

I agree with Wanda247..the pre-op diet is all about shrinking the liver and if that's all you are consuming, it's got to be shrinking. I was on it for 4 weeks and only lost about 12 lbs but I had lost a lot before the surgery..the body does the strangest things...I'm not letting go! lol! I think you will be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement all. It was so disappointing I cried and cried... even though I know my body will react this way. I guess not having any food for so long is working my emotions. At least some centers let them have one meal a day. I feel like a prisoner. Now I've pretty much stopped caring... just want to get through it.

Beta98, a happy thought/fact for you. For every week you are on liver shrink, your liver diminishes 2.4%, my surgeon said my liver looked smooth and unblemished like a newborn calf, once I came to terms he wasn't selling me for veal, I was pretty danged proud of ME. The less jolting, prying and maneuvering in there, the less post- surgery tummyache. Worth it child, So Worth It!

To be in ketosis, don't you have be consuming less than 20g of carbs per day? I'm not sure, which is why I'm asking. If you're consuming 70g of carbs per day, that would be why you aren't in ketosis, I would think. It doesn't mean that your liver isn't shrinking though. I didn't have to do a very long pre-op diet. I was only on liquids for 2 days prior to surgery, and my surgeon said that my liver shrunk a good deal.

Just an FYI, I didn't have a fatty liver at all and still had to do the pre-op diet. There was no liver shrinking necessary. I cheated like 4 times big time on my pre-op and the surgeon said everything looked fantastic in there. You may not even have a fatty liver. I wouldn't stress about it at all. It doesn't matter if you're in ketosis or not. The pre-op diet they had me on wouldn't have even put me in ketosis; it didn't matter. Don't stress. Just keep doing what you're doing and that's all that matters.

Don't stress... you'll be fine. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Happy Holidays everyone. Just wanted you all to know I did end up losing 7 pounds after 14 days of hellish torture LOL. My doctor said my liver shrank a little but not a lot. He said it will continue to shrink as I lose weight. I was on 19 medications and he said that can sometimes have an effect on the shrinking... so now we know. Surgery went well and other than feeling like I did 100 situps I wouldn't really know I had surgery. No real after effects. I threw up once in the hospital when I took too many of my 19 meds at once but other than that no other issues. I'm back to drinking normally with no problem. Still no food yet, I have 8 more days to go to get to puree but I get milk and yogurt on Wed and I'm really looking forward to it. I think it will settle okay but will do small amounts at first. Thanks, everyone for being so nice and supportive! Love this group!