Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After reading alot of posts on different subjects, I don't understand why most people are weighing themselves all the time?? Do the doctors say to do this? I'm not one to weight myself alot hell I dont even have a scale lol. But once I have the surgery I'll know when I'm losing weight cause clothes will feel better and I'll feel better overall. We are all doing surgery to lose weight I get it but my main reason is to be healthier. Get off the high blood press & cholesterol meds and not having sleep apnea. Maybe I'll feel different once I have the surgery about weighing myself regularly...idk

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, Jean9 said:

After reading alot of posts on different subjects, I don't understand why most people are weighing themselves all the time?? Do the doctors say to do this? I'm not one to weight myself alot hell I dont even have a scale lol. But once I have the surgery I'll know when I'm losing weight cause clothes will feel better and I'll feel better overall. We are all doing surgery to lose weight I get it but my main reason is to be healthier. Get off the high blood press & cholesterol meds and not having sleep apnea. Maybe I'll feel different once I have the surgery about weighing myself regularly...idk

I've put a LOT of effort into this journey, so measuring success is important for me. I like to know exactly where I am and what I need to do to get to goals. Not everyone operates that way. But I will say this. Back when I "didn't have a scale" and used the fit of my clothing to determine my progress, I reached the highest weight in my life. That approach did not work for me.

He's more nurse-maid-y than I would have expected. Not verbally supportive but I have what I need. Good enough!
I think that's a man thing. They don't know how to say the right stuff but if he's taking care of you that's how they show you they love ya!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I think you are correct. He has employed my son as a watchful eye, med reminder and gopher today as he had to go to work. It's all good. 🙂 My daughter is coming home tonight - she knows how to take care of business!!!

I've put a LOT of effort into this journey, so measuring success is important for me. I like to know exactly where I am and what I need to do to get to goals. Not everyone operates that way. But I will say this. Back when I "didn't have a scale" and used the fit of my clothing to determine my progress, I reached the highest weight in my life. That approach did not work for me.
I was just wondering about the whole scale thing that's all. Yes it is important to see the numbers go down [emoji16] best to you on your journey.

22 minutes ago, Jean9 said:

I'm not on any meds for any health problems due to obesity. I'm doing this so I can fit in friggin' airplane seats and horseback ride again. lmao. Just be able to do the things I did when I was skinny.
I know it's not good... but it's been 6 weeks and I weigh myself every.single.day. It is some days really really disheartening. It's a bad habit, and I know I should weigh like.. bi-weekly... but I can't help it. I just wanna see those numbers drop.

I'm not on any meds for any health problems due to obesity. I'm doing this so I can fit in friggin' airplane seats and horseback ride again. lmao. Just be able to do the things I did when I was skinny.
I know it's not good... but it's been 6 weeks and I weigh myself every.single.day. It is some days really really disheartening. It's a bad habit, and I know I should weigh like.. bi-weekly... but I can't help it. I just wanna see those numbers drop.
Yea that was my main concern with people weighing themselves daily. What if you don't lose anything or if you gain?? It would just put you a bad mood. I think weighing yourself once a week or biweekly at the same time and same scale would be a good thing. But what do I know lol I haven't even had the surgery yet.

2 minutes ago, Jean9 said:

Yea that was my main concern with people weighing themselves daily. What if you don't lose anything or if you gain?? It would just put you a bad mood. I think weighing yourself once a week or biweekly at the same time and same scale would be a good thing. But what do I know lol I haven't even had the surgery yet.

It's sort of a mixed bag... I haven't gained any weight. But I've gone a while without it moving, which is depressing BUT it's also good to know so you can monitor if you're having a stall and need to make some adjustments to your diet. I definitely get bent out of shape if it hasn't moved that day... but... the days it does move is a great day. lol. I guess whatever you want to tolerate. Like this morning, before it settled on a number I saw it was going to say I hadn't lost anything so I jumped off before my tracker could record it. lmao.

Edited by mousecat88

It's sort of a mixed bag... I haven't gained any weight. But I've gone a while without it moving, which is depressing BUT it's also good to know so you can monitor if you're having a stall and need to make some adjustments to your diet. I definitely get bent out of shape if it hasn't moved that day... but... the days it does move is a great day. lol. I guess whatever you want to tolerate. Like this morning, before it settled on a number I saw it was going to say I hadn't lost anything so I jumped off before my tracker could record it. lmao.
Haha that's funny. I get it now what you're saying though. [emoji4]

And they will ,love, you are too obsessed with each tree, how it is growing, to lean back and notice how lovely the whole Forrest is! Old granny-saying is: A watched pot never boils! I might add --don't sweat the small stuff. I know you have said you honor and respect my courage against all odds. Well I just had to do something I never thought I would have to face. I just got off the phone with Ameican Electric Power, I had to bring up my c-/pap and TPN and its attendant bag refridgeratio needs as a valid basis for a medical extension on my electric bill. Don't really like " putting out everything on Front Street" as Miss Cleo the Psychic said in her TV ads. Sure you and my followers on Bariatric Pal know of my trials, snares and pitfalls, but I hated to do it. I kept telling myself that's for sick people on Life Support, well Duhhh, I guess I am at least on Life Sustainment. But it was pride- swallowing time and truthfully between the moving expenses in November, the Hospitalization in December, I just didn't even have the minimum payment to avoid cut-off. Tomkitten and I were planning a trip this week to our local meat market, could use my Ohio Direction card(plastic type of food stamps) there but it would be $1 round trip transportation. Sad to count pennies like that, but at best a hard candy Christmas, like Dolly Parton sang about. Usually I bake a Birthday Cake for Jesus, now that 🎂 is off my diet, maybe make it chocolate , store it in the Fridge and Tomkitten will get joy of it! If you knew how little cash I have, you'd cry too. Not doing my ulcers any great good worryi,g and stewing, tried selling items on our local radio program called TRADIO, supposed to be buy, sell, barter or give away, this week everyone is interested in the last. I was offering a item with a retail value of $159 for $30 or best offer. Not a call this week, and Tomkitten found me in the kitchen 😢 crying. Only thing close to a gift for him, a 💇 hair cut. Big whooping Deal there! And he's such good guy, I'm so blessed to have him and such an ungrateful way to show him.
And as I lose weight I am starting to resemble relatives I never thought I did, right now today I look like Mama's older sister Aunt Grace, don't get me wrong, I did love her lots but she did have a thin face and a long willowy neck. I think mine looks more like an old turtle's emerging from a battered shell. Maybe after my body comes to terms things will look better body-wise. I think sunlight and a light dusting,of freckles would help, but at my age they might merely resemble rust spots! And January 2019 so far looks sunnier☀ Today I don't even care if they d/c my PICC line, I fear it is only a band-aid over my many other problems. Said Frust8 at least you're standing up, breathing and if you put your dentures in you won't frighten to children and horses in the street. You're gonna make it after ALL! Then I ruined everything by sticking my tongue out at my reflection! And mine is not pretty like Gene Simmons👅, got a big scar on it from when was 10 and tried to bite it in half during my grandma's funeral. Story available upon demand.

Apparently most docs don't have you weigh yourself all the time, but my nutritionist told me to weigh myself every day. Don't know that I agree with that advice but I've been following it. I prefer to just look in the mirror - I felt I saw a difference in my face even though my weight didn't go down.

That said, Christmas came early folks! 🎄 My weight loss stall that started 3 days post op finally broke - I went from 253 down to 250. My surgery weight was 259. I'm very happy to know that I'm not broken LOL!

It's funny how this surgery plays tricks on our minds. Like, we all know weight loss takes time, but because this was SUCH A MAJOR SURGERY, it makes you question EVERYTHING - did I do the right thing? Am I drinking too much or too little? Is my pouch gonna burst? Is all this estrogen being released from my fat cells turning me into a crazy lady? Whatever random fears you have toy with you. Now that I know that I will indeed continue losing weight, I am resting easy and letting it take all the time it wants. It was just the fact that I stalled immediately after surgery that scared me.

And also, thanks to those of you who shared your struggles drinking Water too. That had me so concerned. I think I forget that I tend to be a perfectionist so I really sweat it when I'm not reaching my goals. I think I need to go a little easier on myself - of course still try to reach them, but just do the best I can.

Also, someone mentioned being able to get liquids down fine after surgery. 7-10 days after surgery I was getting liquids down easily - I was also still taking pain killers and anti-nausea meds. Without either of them, I have a hard time getting liquids down.

You might need to continue with your Zofran or other anti'nausea meds. Good thing I asked my PCP for a "script" because I still require it. And I am nearly 4 months out.