Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yay! A poop thread! :70_poop:

I just *noticed* that I haven't pooped in about 6 days (maybe longer?). I don't feel constipated at all, and the last time I went, I went A LOT multiple times that day, and had been pretty regular prior to that. I hadn't really been paying attention to it because I haven't had any discomfort but... probably need to get something moving. My book says if you haven't gone in 3 days to take Colace, but 6 days to move to a stimulant laxative or enema (NOOOO). I was told NOT to take Fiber supplements (don't ask why - I don't feel like debating the logic of my surgeon, I'm just following his instructions). Should I skip right to the stronger stuff since it's been so long? Should I not do anything because it's not causing any discomfort?

I did have vomiting and severe nausea last night lasting to now... so maybe I should wait til tomorrow before trying laxatives?

Edited by mousecat88

15 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Yay! A poop thread! :70_poop:

I just *noticed* that I haven't pooped in about 6 days (maybe longer?). I don't feel constipated at all, and the last time I went, I went A LOT multiple times that day, and had been pretty regular prior to that. I hadn't really been paying attention to it because I haven't had any discomfort but... probably need to get something moving. My book says if you haven't gone in 3 days to take Colace, but 6 days to move to a stimulant laxative or enema (NOOOO). I was told NOT to take Fiber supplements (don't ask why - I don't feel like debating the logic of my surgeon, I'm just following his instructions). Should I skip right to the stronger stuff since it's been so long? Should I not do anything because it's not causing any discomfort?

I did have vomiting and severe nausea last night lasting to now... so maybe I should wait til tomorrow before trying laxatives?

I'm curious. You are following your surgeons orders of not consuming fiber (not sure why they said that, maybe the sugar...but they sell sugar free versions, I take it daily, zero issues) so, wouldn't you follow this logic and see what your surgeon says about taking a stronger laxative?

And how's that Water intake? Every time I hear "I'm constipated" generally water intake is lower than it should or could be.

I would certainly NOT start a laxative while you are vomiting and nauseous.

The bigger concern is, you are vomiting, nauseous AND not evacuating. Those symptoms could point to being impacted, an intestinal stricture, or other issue preventing your waste material from processing. I'd *REALLY* suggest calling and talking to your team ASAP... just in case.

4 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I'm curious. You are following your surgeons orders of not consuming Fiber (not sure why they said that, maybe the sugar...but they sell sugar free versions, I take it daily, zero issues) so, wouldn't you follow this logic and see what your surgeon says about taking a stronger laxative?

And how's that Water intake? Every time I hear "I'm constipated" generally Water intake is lower than it should or could be.

I would certainly NOT start a laxative while you are vomiting and nauseous.

The bigger concern is, you are vomiting, nauseous AND not evacuating. Those symptoms could point to being impacted, an intestinal stricture, or other issue preventing your waste material from processing. I'd *REALLY* suggest calling and talking to your team ASAP... just in case.

Oh, I talked to my surgeon's office this morning. They are just giving me phenergan for now. I didn't think to mention the poop issue because, again, I don't think about it since I don't have any discomfort at all. My hesitation about taking a stronger laxative is because I am scared a stimulant might irritate the ulcer situation... so maybe try a more conservative approach first? I guess I answered my own question with that. lol. The manual is for people without complications.

Water intake has not been swell the last 3 days... again... because of the stupid stomach pain. I am working on it today, though. I got 26oz down so far and hope to get another 26 down in the next 4 hours... which will be more than I get nearly any other day. Could just all be a water intake issue.

I guess tomorrow I will try Colace and go from there.

Edited by mousecat88

I know it's not much... but I've actually impressed myself with getting the 26oz down so far since 10am. That is A LOT for me in such a short time frame. And I've been very nauseous and still plugging away at it.

3 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Oh, I talked to my surgeon's office this morning. They are just giving me phenergan for now. I didn't think to mention the poop issue because, again, I don't think about it since I don't have any discomfort at all. My hesitation about taking a stronger laxative is because I am scared a stimulant might irritate the ulcer situation... so maybe try a more conservative approach first? I guess I answered my own question with that. lol. The manual is for people without complications.

Water intake has not been swell the last 3 days... again... because of the stupid stomach pain. I am working on it today, though. I got 26oz down so far and hope to get another 26 down in the next 4 hours... which will be more than I get nearly any other day. Could just all be a water intake issue.

I guess tomorrow I will try Colace and go from there.

Give them a call back and let them know about the poop situation. It's VERY important that they are aware of it as well. Pain or not, there could be major issues given the vomiting and nausea symptoms as well. They need the full "Tip to Toe" picture of what's going on otherwise they can miss a diagnosis. With WLS, it's better to over share with your team than to leave things off the table!

Edited by Matt Z

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Give them a call back and let them know about the poop situation. It's VERY important that they are aware of it as well. Pain or not, there could be major issues given the vomiting and nausea symptoms as well. They need the full "Tip to Toe" picture of what's going on otherwise they can miss a diagnosis. With WLS, it's better to over share with your team than to leave things off the table!

I just shot them a message about it, replying to the messages re: the vomiting and nausea. To be continued...

19 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I just shot them a message about it, replying to the messages re: the vomiting and nausea. To be continued...

Good luck! I'd so much rather it be nothing, then hear something bad happened to you!

3 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Good luck! I'd so much rather it be nothing, then hear something bad happened to you!

They said I should be all good. Recommended Miralax and Colace and if nothing happens "soon"... the dreaded enema. I may just skip to that to get it over with. Sigh. SIIIIGHHH. Hard sigh.

I swear if I get backed up, it's the ONLY time I have "mysterious issues". It's always from having poop backed up. Causes me to cramp, have unexplained abdominal pain, get nauseated (I've hurled from it), and it's not pretty...

I do take a fiber supp daily + 2 Colace + added psyllium and I drink over 120oz of Water a day. And I STILL have poop from 1984 backed up high in the colon! bahahha!

Listen to @Matt Z! HE knows and speaks the truth!!! Part of your pain could be constipation!

Well, I'm on the way to CVS to get some Fleet (BOOOOO) and some Miralax and to pick up my Phenergan. Will keep everyone posted re: my bowel movements because I know ya'll care. ❤️ lmao

Just now, mousecat88 said:

Well, I'm on the way to CVS to get some Fleet (BOOOOO) and some Miralax and to pick up my Phenergan. Will keep everyone posted re: my bowel movements because I know ya'll care. ❤️ lmao

FYI, glycerin suppositories work AMAZINGLY well and gentle...

I'm glad you called your doc. At my last appointment, my doc lightly scolded me for not calling them about my terrible Constipation. I also didn't go for about 6 days and didn't feel any discomfort - until I did. And the result was the most unpleasant experience since surgery. My doc said to call them if I had constipation for more than 3 days again. His advice was to take colase daily and that if I felt like I needed to go but couldn't, then take milk of magnesia (but if I need to take the milk of magnesia, to stop the colase and not take them together).

All that said, I'd do what your doc tells you to - s/he knows more about you, your surgery, and your health. Hope it all gets better!

4-5 months out I still have this issue. I’m now taking 1 colase in the morning and drinking a cup of benefiber and miralax each night. This has gotten me somewhat regular. Why am I taking so much? Because I ended up impacted and had to do an enema and it was a super awful experience. I’ve also gotten the foamier and puked while on the loo a few times. I’ve ramped up my efforts to keep the pipes flowing ever since. I also take Milk of Magnesia on occasion if I think I have to go, but can’t.

I’ve started trying to include more fiber/veggies in my diet, but my poo problems are pretty miserable. I’m going to bring it up when I see my nutritionist on Friday.

15 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

FYI, glycerin suppositories work AMAZINGLY well and gentle...

So, I was looking at the box for the Fleet in the store and realized I would have to be a yoga instructor and about 50lbs lighter to reach in such a position, lmao, so I bought the glycerin suppositories. I am trying the Miralax and Colace for 2 days first... had some Miralax last night and started the Colace this a.m. If nothing happens by tomorrow, I'll do the suppository. Do you know how long those take to "work"? It doesn't say anything on the bottle.

Also, lesson learned... mixing Miralax in a soy shake makes it CLUMPY AND HORRIBLE. Dissolves in anything my a-s. I drank it anyways... in all its chunky glory.