Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you could tolerate meat?

On 12/8/2018 at 9:57 PM, FluffyChix said:

I wasn't gonna live without my veggies. So for weeks I ate 2oz Protein (dense) + 1oz veg. Then it grew to be 3oz protein (dense) + 1oz veg, then 3oz protein + 2oz veg, then 3oz protein + 3oz veg. Now it's currently for meats 3/3. But for fish it is 4oz fish + 3oz veg for the meal. You know when to progress cuz you become less satisfied with the meal or get hungry sooner.

Nice! I'm lucky to even get 3 oz of anything now but here's to hoping :)

16 hours ago, ms.sleeve said:

Everyone is different, but for me (at about 6 weeks post-op) I can eat...

- up to maybe 2 oz-ish of turkey, chicken or fish/shellfish (all attempted in the 4th week post-op)
- up to 1 oz-ish of pork loin (attempted in the 5th week post-op)
- I haven't tried beef yet though (ground beef nor steak) so not sure how well I will tolerate those.

If i don't chew enough or if I eat too fast though, I will get an uncomfortable "fullness" feeling in my chest and I have to just stop and walk around for it to go away. At first it was so bad that I had to throw up :(. But now I am getting better at recognizing when it's about to come on, I can adjust before it gets bad.

Same here- I get this pain in the middle of my chest if I eat too fast or don't chew well enough. Unfortunately I still throw up whenever this happens but it does serve as a good reminder.

14 hours ago, Oct517 said:

Over 2 months post op and meat is still the hardest thing for me to get down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh man that's tough. Weirdly I found that ground pork was the easiest for me to start with :)

Oh man that's tough. Weirdly I found that ground pork was the easiest for me to start with [emoji4]
I was never really into eating meat even before surgery so maybe that is also my problem? I've tried pork, chicken, turkey, and beef. After two bites, I start to feel uncomfortable and stop eating. Tofu, Beans, cheese, and Protein Bars seem to go down a lot easier.

I made 2.5 oz meatballs in crockpot.They are going down fine with a little mozzarella and parmesan.just eating real slow and chew,chew,chew,then chew more.I am almost 3 weeks post sleeve

On 12/10/2018 at 3:19 AM, Jimmy Keller said:

I made 2.5 oz meatballs in crockpot.They are going down fine with a little mozzarella and parmesan.just eating real slow and chew,chew,chew,then chew more.I am almost 3 weeks post sleeve

Ooh yum! Will try that :)

On 12/10/2018 at 1:02 AM, Oct517 said:

I was never really into eating meat even before surgery so maybe that is also my problem? I've tried pork, chicken, turkey, and beef. After two bites, I start to feel uncomfortable and stop eating. Tofu, Beans, cheese, and Protein Bars seem to go down a lot easier.

tofu was a lifesaver for me in the soft stage, especially when I couldn't tolerate the shakes anymore :)