Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op GBP help question

Thank goodness I found this group. Today will be 1 week post op for me. I also had a large hiatal hernia repair at the same tme. I was in the hospital 4 days. I've struggled with nausea. I'm proactive now and take my nausea meds regularly. Protein Drinks never have bothered me but now the thought of them, yogurt, etc makes me nauseated. I have no issues with Protein 2.0 or Jello and they are my go to for hydration and protein. Problem #1 Getting in more than 40 ounces of Fluid a day has been nearly impossible so far. #2 Protein 2.0 only has 10 grams of protein. I am barely getting in 30 grams of protein a day. What risks does this run with low protein and what can I do to stay liquid without heavy sweet Protein Shakes? Today I am going to start walking so I am really needing to figure this out quickly. Thank you all so much. Nervous Newbie

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Susieclues said:

Thank goodness I found this group. Today will be 1 week post op for me. I also had a large hiatal hernia repair at the same tme. I was in the hospital 4 days. I've struggled with nausea. I'm proactive now and take my nausea meds regularly. Protein Drinks never have bothered me but now the thought of them, yogurt, etc makes me nauseated. I have no issues with Protein 2.0 or Jello and they are my go to for hydration and Protein. Problem #1 Getting in more than 40 ounces of Fluid a day has been nearly impossible so far. #2 Protein 2.0 only has 10 grams of protein. I am barely getting in 30 grams of protein a day. What risks does this run with low protein and what can I do to stay liquid without heavy sweet Protein Shakes? Today I am going to start walking so I am really needing to figure this out quickly. Thank you all so much. Nervous Newbie

Check your Proteins and see if they are Protein Isolate or Protein Concentrate. Lots of people have issues with lactose post op, it doesn't always last forever, but it can. Protein isolate has little to no lactose, protein concentrate has loads more lactose.

Ouch, sorry for the change in tastes! So the important thing to also know about Protein is that: Jello is not a good/complete source of protein, neither is Bone Broth (for the record), or stock, or Soup broth/bouillon. :)

Here is a thread with a few tips for getting your protein in as a newbie.

Edited by FluffyChix

And advice from a sadder and wiser new-vet. Keep your Protein count up, you won't heal well without it. Here I sit at OSU-Wexner Medical center where I have been a guest since Wednesday November 28. I have a stomal stricture and ulcerstions in my pouch (I am. RNY) and jejunem, 2nd small intestine segments used in my bypass, I couldn't sustain healing on my liquid P.O .diet, so I have a PICC LINE and am receiving T.P.N. Fluid THROUGH the PICC line in my upper left arm. Don't worry, I am a rather special case, less than 5% bypassers and fewer yet sleeves have this trial. More likely Donal J Trump will pay you a house call to state he's giving up Twitter. Yeah but you could enhance S.F. Jello with unflavored Protein Powder to up protein count. All those things are a good start but need a little more to them. A very good. resource thread you were given. This battle is not always easy but when YOU DO WIN the war it is so so good!

set your timers.. constantly sip all day long..break your Protein into every few hours, your Liquid Protein counts as liquid... use higher g protein drinks, less you have to drink of protein and more Water as the protein can sit heavy. I am almost done with the puree stage.. and its harder to get liquid in when eating. I went from two 30g Protein Shakes a day to one.. and the rest of my protein from food per Dr. Orders.. one day I caved and did the two shakes because I didn't plan well enough and I was out and about all day... Keep trying because as you move through the stages you start all over LOL.. When you finally get something down pat.. time to start again until you get to real foods..

So susieclues, how are you doing now with everything?

At this point in your recovery, hydration is the most important thing, more so than food or Vitamins. The nausea you are experiencing is likely due to dehydration. Play around with temperatures; some people do better with cold beverages, others with hot beverages. Find what works for you so you can drink at least 64 oz of Water a day.

So has anything gotten better for you? Hoping things are smoothing out!

On 12/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, Susieclues said:

Thank goodness I found this group. Today will be 1 week post op for me. I also had a large hiatal hernia repair at the same tme. I was in the hospital 4 days. I've struggled with nausea. I'm proactive now and take my nausea meds regularly. Protein Drinks never have bothered me but now the thought of them, yogurt, etc makes me nauseated. I have no issues with Protein 2.0 or Jello and they are my go to for hydration and Protein. Problem #1 Getting in more than 40 ounces of Fluid a day has been nearly impossible so far. #2 Protein 2.0 only has 10 grams of protein. I am barely getting in 30 grams of protein a day. What risks does this run with low protein and what can I do to stay liquid without heavy sweet Protein Shakes? Today I am going to start walking so I am really needing to figure this out quickly. Thank you all so much. Nervous Newbie

Keep your eye out for better protein. I've found proper whey protein isolate 24.5g protein per serve :)