Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and I’m in hell

I had surgery 11/21 and was only supposed to stay one night however it hurts so bad to eat or drink that they kept me another night. I am in extreme pain and everything makes me nauseous I have been prescribed tremidol and promenthazine but every time I even try and take the medicine I vomit. I’m struggling so hard with Water. I’m literally in tears everytime I throw up and beating myself up for even getting surgery

Have you tried contacting your surgeon's office? They may be able to give you an anti nausea injection with Maxalon rather than tablets. If the office is closed could you try an urgent care facility? I'm not sure where you live, but you shouldn't have to put up with feeling so unwell.

As for liquids, a tsp at a time. See if you are able to take just 1-2 tsp sips. With vomiting you run the risk of getting dehydrated. Hope you feel better soon.

I had a reeeeeeally rough first couple days, just like you. From what I’ve read, the initial feeling of regret is common. But I’ll say... I’m just a week ahead of you and it’s true that each day gets a little easier. I’m feeling much better and optimistic now. Hang in there... it will get better before you know it.

Try sucking crushed ice, that is often easier than drinking.

Frozen sugar free POPSICLES either commercial or homemade, they've saved ME

Try sucking crushed ice, that is often easier than drinking.
I second this! I had really extreme nausea and chewing on ice got me through the first few days when nothing else would stay down. After I had a cup of ice or so is when I would get my meds down or attempt my Premier Protein with added Protein Powder. The ice helped with numbing my stomach and so it didn't reject the Protein in small doses. Plus it helped with the cravings to eat. My brain just wanted to chew.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you ladies I will try ice just so scared to be reemited to the hospital, I tried a sip of Protein and immediately threw up only thing I’ve been able to tolerate is chicken noodle Soup broth.

Thank you ladies I will try ice just so scared to be reemited to the hospital, I tried a sip of Protein and immediately threw up only thing I’ve been able to tolerate is chicken noodle Soup broth.
The pouch can be temp sensitive I have learned! Mine likes hot and cold. Anything room temp or lukewarm makes me extremely nauseous all over again. Good luck! I use to lay with a fan on my face because for me the cool helped. You got this! It does get better

There are also anti-nausea Patches or tiny tablets that dissolve on your tongue that can be prescribed. Even though the office is closed, surgeons usually have someone on call. Hope you feel better soon.

1 hour ago, stibitzal said:

At three days post op I would focus on drinking the broth a little at a time every 10 minutes or so and back off on the Protein for a few days until you are feeling better. I only had a little nausea and no vomiting but I was given a dose of long acting antinausea medication (Emend) right before surgery and came home with sublingual nausea tablets (Zofran) which I only used twice. It is most important that you are able to get in Fluid so if the broth is working that should help. Good luck!!

On 11/24/2018 at 10:08, stibitzal said:

I absolutely understand. I had the same thing for the first few days. The only thing I could (barely) tolerate was the broth from wanton Soup from my favorite Chinese restaurant - so that’s what I had. My nutritionist said that in the first week or so, getting fluids is the most important thing and to worry about the Protein when I was feeling better - about day 5 for me. As for regret, I was SO mad at myself for doing this to myself. But now - 6 weeks later - it’s the best thing I ever did. I feel great and I’m sure you will too!! Good luck!!

Feel better soon..I would start drinking what you are able to tolerate so you don't get dehydrated until you can reach your surgeons office.

13 hours ago, stibitzal said:

I had surgery 11/21 and was only supposed to stay one night however it hurts so bad to eat or drink that they kept me another night. I am in extreme pain and everything makes me nauseous I have been prescribed tremidol and promenthazine but every time I even try and take the medicine I vomit. I’m struggling so hard with Water. I’m literally in tears everytime I throw up and beating myself up for even getting surgery

Ask for suppositories for both pain and nausea.

The pouch can be temp sensitive I have learned! Mine likes hot and cold. Anything room temp or lukewarm makes me extremely nauseous all over again. Good luck! I use to lay with a fan on my face because for me the cool helped. You got this! It does get better

So true. I was ice cold only for beverages and HOT for anything "food" (broth)

I’m 10 days post op and did not go through this BUT I am dealing with the worst Constipation ever, as soon as u can start tolerating drinking mix Miralax in your drink. I had to givemyself an Enema last night and it didn’t help completely. Sorry for the TMI. I just want to help