Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post OP- Difficulties getting in liquids

7 days post op today and I haven't been able to get down 64 ounces of liquid yet. I'm not vomiting. I just feel stuffed and I'm just having difficulty forcing myself to drink it all. The only thing that works easily is sugar free Jello. Suggestions anyone?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's hard in the beginning to get 64 oz of liquids down, but just keep at it and drink as much as you can and you will eventually get there. You can have sugar free popsicles, they count as liquid and the tropical flavor is really good, I still eat them.

Congratulations on your surgery 😃

It took me about a week to make it to 64 ounces. Just keep trying your best, and mix up what you're trying if you feel any kind of pain. There is no shame in living off of Jello, if that's the only thing your new stomach will accept--mine was similar. sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, and hot tea with premade Protein Shakes were all I could manage, the first few days. (I think adding the Muscle Milk to the hot tea and gradually adding more as I drank through the cup was my best bit of accidental genius, because the shakes were too thick for me at first. Building up to them that way went really well for me.)

It gets easier. I promise.

I'm struggling a lot with this. My NUT told me that Crystal Light or Water with added electrolytes seems to settle better in the stomach for a lot of people. I was skeptical because Crystal Light is so acidic (and I don't particularly like it either, I prefer plain water these days) but I tried it today and while I am still having issues I have definitely been able to drink more today. I had good luck with Bariatric Protein cocoa last night, win-win, protein+fluid, far too sweet but not as gross as the shakes.

I'm 3 weeks post op and just now got to the point I can get 64 oz of Water down. The only water that is working for me is Propel electrolyte water because it's not so sweet but has some flavor. The dietitian told me to take small sips every 2 minutes. I had to do about every 4 minutes and it was annoying using a timer but it helped me to realize how much time I was spending not drinking, then trying to catch up. I also have been using a straw because I don't take in near as much air with a straw, which leaves more room for water.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BariatricPal mobile app

11 minutes ago, countrygal7782 said:

I'm 3 weeks post op and just now got to the point I can get 64 oz of Water down. The only Water that is working for me is Propel electrolyte water because it's not so sweet but has some flavor. The dietitian told me to take small sips every 2 minutes. I had to do about every 4 minutes and it was annoying using a timer but it helped me to realize how much time I was spending not drinking, then trying to catch up. I also have been using a straw because I don't take in near as much air with a straw, which leaves more room for water.

Was she just talking about when you were recovering at home? How on earth are you supposed to take sips of water every two minutes? Before the surgery I set an alarm on my FIt Bit to drink every 1/2 hour, and that was bad enough. People have jobs, children to care for, etc.

Was she just talking about when you were recovering at home? How on earth are you supposed to take sips of Water every two minutes? Before the surgery I set an alarm on my FIt Bit to drink every 1/2 hour, and that was bad enough. People have jobs, children to care for, etc.
I know it's crazy! And no this is the rule that the program tells on everyone to use for at least the first 3 months. I haven't returned to work yet but I'm a bit worried about it cause there is no way I am going to be able to do that!!!