Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long dis it take to see your stomach go down

Hi all I am only 2weeks out n was just wandering how long did it take u to start losing stomach fat? I never see any one ask that n myself I'm only wanting to know...i know I'm swelled n I only lost 13 pounds since I had the sleeve done 10\26

Sent from my LM-V405 using BariatricPal mobile app

i know when i was dieting before the sleeve.. i did not notice the stomach go down until about 30 pounds lost, maybe 40.. One day i was at the gym and my reflection was in the glass to the building and it took me by surprise. That and the fact that i went shopping in a store and the lady asked if i was going to buy new pants that my pants looked like it could accomodate 3 of me.. I was embarassed, that ppl at my work never said anything and i didnt notice..

Im STILL waiting...

The body shape you have prior to surgery will likely be the one you have after you begin to lose weight. To my knowledge you can't target areas for loss. For that we have 🌈 plastics 🌈

I think it depends on how much you have to lose. I had a lot to lose, so it took quite a bit of weight loss for me to be able to see a change in clothing sizes.

57 minutes ago, shany1567 said:

Hi all I am only 2weeks out n was just wandering how long did it take u to start losing stomach fat? I never see any one ask that n myself I'm only wanting to know...i know I'm swelled n I only lost 13 pounds since I had the sleeve done 10\26

You have no control of where your body places fat when you gain weight. You also have no control over where it comes off as you lose it. It will balance out with time.

You have no control of where your body places fat when you gain weight. You also have no control over where it comes off as you lose it. It will balance out with time.
I'm just wandering how long some notice...im happy withever what way it wants to come off ..

I think it is also dependent on age....I have dropped about 3-4 sizes in jeans but I am losing much more off my butt, thighs and hips than the stomach area. I know this because I have detailed measurements from 10 years ago when I did Atkins and at the same weight my measurements are several inches different (more in the stomach and less in other places) even though I am exercising much more consistently now. Friends my age (60) who are not overweight also have noted more weight in the "middle" which I think is probably connected to estrogen levels.

I started at 463, and I'm at 285. I'm down 2 shirt sizes and 3 pants sizes. So, it's taken me losing 177 pounds to get down 2 shirt sizes. Just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing and the weight will come off.

It felt like it took me the longest time to see a difference in my tum and the "thickness" of it. LOL. Also the circumference. ;)

I agree that it feels like an insulin resistance/estrogen thing.

(And I still have fat to vacate in my belleh.)

4 hours ago, Jazzy1125 said:

i know when i was dieting before the sleeve.. i did not notice the stomach go down until about 30 pounds lost, maybe 40.. One day i was at the gym and my reflection was in the glass to the building and it took me by surprise. That and the fact that i went shopping in a store and the lady asked if i was going to buy new pants that my pants looked like it could accomodate 3 of me.. I was embarassed, that ppl at my work never said anything and i didnt notice..

Your coworkers noticed. People don't want to make such a personal remark, especially since weight loss sometimes happens when people are sick.

2 hours ago, FancyChristine15 said:

I started at 463, and I'm at 285. I'm down 2 shirt sizes and 3 pants sizes. So, it's taken me losing 177 pounds to get down 2 shirt sizes. Just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing and the weight will come off.

There is a huge difference between sizes in the plus size range, which sadly, is why plus size clothing fits so poorly. I remember when I was considerably younger and thinner, I was a smidge too large for the "regular" size 14 in a bridesmaid's dress, so they ordered the 14W for me. It was like a tent. I measured it against the regular 14 and it was 8 inches bigger! Funny, I thought I was so huge back then, but now at a size 20 I can't wait to be back at a 14!

I was still pretty swollen at 2 weeks too. By 3-4 weeks, I started to see a difference in my upper abdomen. It was shrinking. Lower abdomen is slower for me. Sleeved 8/20. 53 lbs down, 62 to go.

There is a huge difference between sizes in the plus size range, which sadly, is why plus size clothing fits so poorly. I remember when I was considerably younger and thinner, I was a smidge too large for the "regular" size 14 in a bridesmaid's dress, so they ordered the 14W for me. It was like a tent. I measured it against the regular 14 and it was 8 inches bigger! Funny, I thought I was so huge back then, but now at a size 20 I can't wait to be back at a 14!
I was a size 12 before I had my 2 children...i had 2 c sections n after that I started to gain...i can't wait to get there again...im happy that did this n I'm ok if it takes it time to come off just can't wait to see me at the goal

15 hours ago, shany1567 said:

This is a pretty subjective area, *most* don't see any real losses in that area until much later down the road, belly fat seems to be the last to go for most people. I've still got a decent amount even after over 100 lbs since revision and 160 lbs lost since I started...