Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another post-op poop question. :)

Hey guys!

First post here! So I know it's covered in other threads, but in different ways, so I figured I'd just rehash it here. Had my RNY on Tuesday morning; all went well (yay!), getting my fluids and Protein in successfully on Day 4 and 5 (today). Also walking plenty each day. Body cavity gas pain has reduced a great deal, thankfully. :) . I've had a decent amount of bubbly bowels and passing gas, but no BMs yet. I took Miralax yesterday and today. I have a bowel regimen to follow given to me by my surgeon (Milk of Mag + Dulcolax suppository) should it be necessary.

Curious when the collective mind here thinks the bowels need an additional push. Since I'm not super uncomfortable, I'm not sure if I'm constipated, or if there's just not enough down there yet. Does that make sense?

Appreciate any insight!

I didn't have any movement til day 5 so I would say give it some time as long as u don't feel uncomfortable.

I only went a couple/few times a week pre-op, but I was getting worried when it took me 12 days to go. And even though I'd been taking a softener every day, it was still bad. Have gone every few days since, still using softeners and sometimes senekot, but it's been difficult every time. Hope it returns to normal soon. All the Water does not seem to help. I started taking senekot once I reached 10 days with no movement.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

Well while we are on 💩, I have something to report. Remember I stated Double MiralxAx a day, MoM evening of Day# 2 for results. With my weird prolonged Stage2B diet, defecation is iffy. Okay I am happy to report,i have resumed a daily 💩, the fly,in the ointment of life, there is seldom enough to Poop down into the bowl, instead it holds tenaciously to my rump or crease. Oh bother! Dr Noria stated to let them know if I had any bleeding from the last stricture stretching. Unless I had bright red blood how could I tell? Its usually,dark from the Iron in my prenatal Multivitamin. See I did not join your chewable league for very long, I loathe ground-up and put into applesauce Vitamins, I didn't care much for meltables grainy texture, my prenatal are small, easily swallowed and really more balanced amounts. And a nice price at Wal-Mart, cheap is good if they're quality.
So I am left with multi-wipers in the bathroom, oh well no big thing, is it?

I am 4 days out and I haven't gone in 5 days, which is to be expected when all you are consuming is a little bit of liquid. My belly hurts so badly from the surgery and while I'm taking Colace I'm worried about when I finally go it is going to really hurt me. Can you tear stitches like that? I'm trying not to take much painkillers because I know that makes the poop situation even worse. I'm terrified of throwing up too, I just started my chewable vitamins and I know those make a lot of people sick.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, Swanton_Bomb said:

I am 4 days out and I haven't gone in 5 days, which is to be expected when all you are consuming is a little bit of liquid. My belly hurts so badly from the surgery and while I'm taking Colace I'm worried about when I finally go it is going to really hurt me. Can you tear stitches like that? I'm trying not to take much painkillers because I know that makes the poop situation even worse. I'm terrified of throwing up too, I just started my chewable vitamins and I know those make a lot of people sick.

Hey, can't speak to the chewable vitamins--I'm on Bariatric Advantage Multi or whatever. I took Miralax for two days (Days 4 and 5, respectively) and ended up having 4 BM on Day 5 (ha!). Apparently things were just taking their time brewing. Now, I know that post-op BMs are different for our two surgeries (I had RNY), so I can't really tell you how similar your experience will be, but all of my movements have been of a more soft/borderline explosive nature. I think I've read more from sleevers about the very hard consistencies. Sorry I can't help more! I will say to have hope if you feel grumbles and rumbles in your gut. Things are moving! They're just trying to remember where to go. :)

I’ve never been so entertained by a poop discussion in my life! As entertaining as it is, it’s also super helpful to hear all this. I’m facing RNY and have SO many questions about “what happens when...”. Keep it comin! This is great stuff :D

On 11/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, linlew said:

Hey guys!

First post here! So I know it's covered in other threads, but in different ways, so I figured I'd just rehash it here. Had my RNY on Tuesday morning; all went well (yay!), getting my fluids and Protein in successfully on Day 4 and 5 (today). Also walking plenty each day. Body cavity gas pain has reduced a great deal, thankfully. :) . I've had a decent amount of bubbly bowels and passing gas, but no BMs yet. I took Miralax yesterday and today. I have a bowel regimen to follow given to me by my surgeon (Milk of Mag + Dulcolax suppository) should it be necessary.

Curious when the collective mind here thinks the bowels need an additional push. Since I'm not super uncomfortable, I'm not sure if I'm constipated, or if there's just not enough down there yet. Does that make sense?

Appreciate any insight!

I wouldn't really worry about it until you've started purees or full solids, liquids don't "bulk up" much if at all.

💩-amentary here. Tried to cutting back to 1 Miralax daily, if your team says 2, do 2. This Am I awoke to flatus, of such a degree Tomkitten said" What was THAT sound?" Silly rabbitt🐰you should know by now So I marched into the Chamber of the Porcelain throne there to await occurrences. Such occurrences were not forthcoming, oh I tried, I said "Rectal muscles- Wakey Wakey!" They yawned out 1 puff of foetus and there I set and set. Oh I could feel the stool sitting right inside the opening. If it had a face , it would haven been smirking. No fleet enema , I was sent a mental message - Colin responded with Message unaccepted- please rephrase and resend! So i, and I shudder to relate this, greased the opening with Vaseline and then summoned all abdominal muscles not busy doing something else, 1-2-3- PUSH PUSH PUSH, And Finally it popped and plopped, a little more vigorous shoving and relief was obtained . But back to the 2 times daily, M.O.M. evening of second day, I might as well resign myself to the fact I shall not have spontaeous 💩for a long time. And I am a 10 week old RnY with structure issues, and a puny liquid diet. By far NOT average, average is as close to inferior as it is to superior,and I fancy myself as superior, worthy of glory , praise and wonderment. Too many years of second string, second-rate, some man's slave/flunky/wife. Now Frustr8 shines clearly, brightly and with her own Star Power!🌟Twinkle Twinkle Frustr8's star, can you see me now shining far?

flatus, my days of foetus, Praise God, LONG OVER! Oh for an editing ability on Bariatric Pal, be5a app doesn't have it!

For those of you who have tried both, do you think Colace or Miralax works better? I've used Milk of Magnesia in the past but the pills are giant horsepills and with all the gross liquids I have to choke down since surgery I am not up to the liquid, the dose is huge.