Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with those around you eating all the things you can't?

So my family is over for the evening and ordered pizza...and Coke. Ughhhh. I love them but I want to punch them and their metabolisms. I kid, I kid. LOL

The smell of pizza id driving me crazy!!! It's not even good pizza either...it's Pizza Hut!

Does this craving ever go away? I seriously feel like a friggin drug addict biting my nails waiting for them to put it away so I don't have to keep smelling it. I don't want them to stop living their lives because of me. But dang it, this is hard. I've stuck to my guns, haven't given in. I know this is an addiction, and like I've said before, I take it one meal at a time.

I am so eager to change and put that part of my life behind me. food never made me happy, it actually made me incredibly unhappy.

Ok, vent over. I'll just sit here and sip my Protein soup....🤪

So my family is over for the evening and ordered pizza...and Coke. Ughhhh. I love them but I want to punch them and their metabolisms. I kid, I kid. LOL
The smell of pizza id driving me crazy!!! It's not even good pizza either...it's Pizza Hut!
Does this craving ever go away? I seriously feel like a friggin drug addict biting my nails waiting for them to put it away so I don't have to keep smelling it. I don't want them to stop living their lives because of me. But dang it, this is hard. I've stuck to my guns, haven't given in. I know this is an addiction, and like I've said before, I take it one meal at a time.
I am so eager to change and put that part of my life behind me. food never made me happy, it actually made me incredibly unhappy.
Ok, vent over. I'll just sit here and sip my Protein soup....🤪
You're doing great. That is hard for me also. But this is long term...we have to deal with being around the stuff all the time! And when we are at goal, once in a while, I may have a bite of pizza or a bite of cake.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

Also, for me...the longer I go without the junk I'm craving, the easier it gets. As I feel better and realize that stuff makes me feel like crap! It just tastes so good! It helps when I find something I CAN have that I really really love. Then I don't feel deprived.

5 minutes ago, Hrsnjs said:

You're doing great. That is hard for me also. But this is long term...we have to deal with being around the stuff all the time! And when we are at goal, once in a while, I may have a bite of pizza or a bite of cake.

Thanks, girl! Totally, we're in a marathon. Annd only just started. Hope it get's better :) I never learned moderation, so this is great practice. Why can't I crave steamed veggies and not Taco Bell? hahaha!

I have really loved that I'm full and satisfied with so little food. I'm using baby spoons and trying to savor everything!

2 minutes ago, Hrsnjs said:

Also, for me...the longer I go without the junk I'm craving, the easier it gets. As I feel better and realize that stuff makes me feel like crap! It just tastes so good! It helps when I find something I CAN have that I really really love. Then I don't feel deprived.

I think because hubby is so skinny and constantly eats fast food, I'm always around it. It hasn't gotten easier yet. It does taste sooooo good unfortunately but just not worth it. Been researching healthier versions of my favorites, like buffalo wings. I found a buffalo roasted cauliflower recipe that looks amazing, plan on trying it in a few weeks.

7 minutes ago, Hrsnjs said:

I have really loved that I'm full and satisfied with so little food. I'm using baby spoons and trying to savor everything!

That's hilarious, my mom brought those for me after my surgery. I eat my Jello with them. I feel fancy! LOL

I think because hubby is so skinny and constantly eats fast food, I'm always around it. It hasn't gotten easier yet. It does taste sooooo good unfortunately but just not worth it. Been researching healthier versions of my favorites, like buffalo wings. I found a buffalo roasted cauliflower recipe that looks amazing, plan on trying it in a few weeks.
Haha! My hubby is not skinny and eats fast food all the time! The other night I did cave and had half a little container of pintos n cheese from taco Bell. Could have been healthier at home for sure but it was good! Took care of the craving send I haven't wanted anything like that since. I discovered it was mostly in my head because I felt deprived. So when I think that I don't WANT it, it makes it easier for me! Lol, I'm tricking myself [emoji23]

I mind my business. liberating

In your case

perhaps keeping around healthier alternatives of your favorite family meals so you can feel like you are participating .

Edited by GreenTealael

There's always a healthier alternative to the unhealthy what everyone else is eating. there's a recipe for a chicken crusted pizza on Bariastic I've tried and it's yummmm. I'm a pizzaholic and we make homemade pizza's constantly around here. But I also have to remember that they aren't the ones that are obese and if they are (like my hubs) he didn't have surgery, I did.

Smells really get me too. Especially Doritos. But keep up what you're doing.

9 hours ago, danieocean said:

I know this is an addiction,

The is so true for me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until recently and I'm so grateful that I did. Combining my surgery which is a fantastic tool and getting outside help with a therapist and working the Over Eaters Anonymous steps I've gotten better with controlling my over eating compulsions. Like you said, I take it one meal at a time. Good luck to you and good luck to everyone else. Also, as the holidays roll around I need to be more mindful of my food choices.

4 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

The is so true for me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until recently and I'm so grateful that I did. Combining my surgery which is a fantastic tool and getting outside help with a therapist and working the Over Eaters Anonymous steps I've gotten better with controlling my over eating compulsions. Like you said, I take it one meal at a time. Good luck to you and good luck to everyone else. Also, as the holidays roll around I need to be more mindful of my food choices.

I'm in AA and I can't find any local OA meetings. I've looked online but there's no one that will sponsor or they ask for money. Do you go to a face to face meeting or online?

It's a mindset. And you did good! You just have to keep doing it. Remember, they aren't on a diet or choosing WLS, you are. So it's up to you to change you, not necessarily them. However, if you are the mommy/wife, feel free to try to improve everyone's eating/relationships with food if you can. :) ;)

But remember, if it gets hard, remove yourself from the action. Go for a walk, go in the other room, play a game on your phone, go watch a Hallmark Christmas movie. :) You can do this. One day at a time.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

go watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.

❤️ Love this time of year... not that I let the time of year stop me from watching cheesy holiday romances....

Jazz Hands!

JazzHands.JPG.2f421a8a6403787059dccba05c689d32.JPG

I have that channel on all the time! :) I've seen every movie about eleventy billion times. *snort*