Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First appointment with surgeon!

I know this is the very beginning, but I am so excited!! I just set my first appointment to meet with my surgeon, and I can’t believe it’s actually happening! I’m getting all my stuff together, paperwork and documentation to take with me but I was hoping to get some words of wisdom from anyone whose already been there and done that! I’ve got a long road ahead but at least the ball is rolling now! Yaaaay!

This ball will roll faster than you think. Way to get it going though.

You're starting out on a wonderful wonderful journey. It will be filled with joys , sorrows and days in between. It will seem like the days and weeks go so slow, but the Last Surgery month before? Oh my, it flies! Suddenly you'll start to be concerned. Have I got things straightened at home, what should I take to the hospital? How. will I feel when I go home? Will I be in pain? You may even worry about things you'll laugh about in the future. One bari friend slightly loopy on presurgery. meds asked the anesthesiologist" How soon she could have a BM?" Never did,find out what kind of response she got! Another was afraid she would talk about old lovers , don't know if I relieved her worry.
For what it is worth , I had a wonderful surgery day, oh got,to my hospital early because I was a 7am. Still dark out, but once I got there I met the intake clerk, both friendly and professional. Then I went to kinda of a holding area, glad I grabbed a wheelchair, it was down a long hallway into an adjacent buildings then up a couple floors to a presurgery area. Changed into a patient gown, I'm a big girl but the gown was bigger. Went to the BR and had a nice presurgery tinkle, I had rode 50 miles to get there, nearest Bariatric surgery facility, a Center of Excellence, what that is ? Its given only to creme de la creme hospitals so the best of the best. My surgeon had promised as long as I emptied my bladder, I wouldn't be given. an urinary cath. So it was worth it to me, tested my blood sugar, a teensy bit high, went ahead and started my IV, second test my blood sugar was perfect, climb into bed. They went ahead , went over my meds on more time. Gosh I was excited, I had been working toward this day for over 3 years, long story there. Was comfy, everybody treating me wonderful, I'm sure there others also being readied but I felt the center of the World. And coming to see me one more time before surgery was my surgeon. Gosh I like him so much, he is really a very nice person as well as the best surgeon I could find. One thing I appreciated, when he met my Sinn they shook hands and he said " I promise to take good care of you mom" I just melted to hear that. Proved I wasn't a number in his mind, he actually cared for me as a person and somebody's Mom.
Since I was first surgery , he brought in many of the operating staff for me to meet. And anesthesia and I chatted, I knew which one was going to be mine. My surgeon excused himself, said he would see me up in the OR. And pretty soon it was time for my transport. Down the hall and into the elevator I went on my bed. When we got there, the doors opened and it was ShowTime. Now I have had maybe 8 different surgeries, this was the finest, most warm one I ever had been.Now most OR are cool to cold, I have jokes with surgeon that they are to freeze the germs to death. But this one was NICE. Pushed me over to surgery table and asked me to slide over, a source of pride I did that without help. And this table was the right size, often I have felt like I would fall off one side or the other. Now another poster said they pulled her arms. out to the side and buckled them down. Didn't happen to Me! Saw Dr Needleman on other side of room and he waved at me. Thought that was So Nice! Everything was calm, my anesthesiologist called me by namw, asked me if I was comfortable? I said Yes Dave I believe I am. I must have drifted off quickly, the next thing I knew I was in my room, no pain, I felt good and my dream had come true. I was doubtful, thought for a minute, maybe I hadn't had my surgery yet. So I lifted my gown, yep 7 little incisions, all with criss-crossed steri strips except the one in my navel. Thought I might have,big ABD,on my tummy, but no he did neat tidy work. And I never had leftover gas, don't remember receiving pain pills, guess I didn't need them . And after a couple days I got to go home, never doubted I had done the right thing for me at the right time and certainly the best surgeon. And I can only wish for you such a good experience.😷👼👍

Today is my first appointment with my surgeon! I'm excited for this too.

Good luck to us both!!

13 hours ago, shellyk018 said:

I know this is the very beginning, but I am so excited!! I just set my first appointment to meet with my surgeon, and I can’t believe it’s actually happening! I’m getting all my stuff together, paperwork and documentation to take with me but I was hoping to get some words of wisdom from anyone whose already been there and done that! I’ve got a long road ahead but at least the ball is rolling now! Yaaaay!

Congrats! It seems like a long time when you are looking at it from the start, I know when I was told I needed 6 months of recorded , doctor driven, nutrition and exercise. But it flew by. Lots of changes are on the way, take them one at a time!

And always remember you are making your own path down this roadway, it will be your footprints. There are facets of minen few if any others have shared. Somethings will be Frustr8 al9ne, that's okay, we are all individuals, nobody is a carbon copy. That does make me feel better. I read other posters, then if I find out Mr X or Ms.Z had similar happenings, I can nod my head YES they had that also. I used to rage inwardly if it was what I perceived as easier, until I realized it was just we are different people. When I was visiting my surgeon's office,yesterday I mentioned these things, we discussed, and they are,basically happy with me. Thought maybe I looked tired and worn out, maybe I was looking at the wrong rate, those kind of things. The few blips, either I will outgrow, remember Precious Pouch is less than 2 months old or they, like my stricture, can be repaired . Barring any bad occurances I will not have another office visit until December for my 3 month. Probably have to have labs then, that's okay. Might be nice to see if I have to subtract anything. But that is the latest in Frustr8's Follies. Anything else that happens you are 3rd in line, right after my surgeon's office and ME!

Exciting times ahead! I too now have a surgeon visit booked, October 30th. Just in time for Halloween! I still haven't determined which surgery but feel I will let the surgeon weigh in on that, then decide. Tentatively looking at the week of the 12th for surgery so the dietitian had me start the pre-op diet one week before seeing the surgeon so that's today! This should be interesting..just Opti Fast shakes and some bland vegetables for 3 weeks..I guess it's really starting now....

Congrats you all, enjoy the ride. When I look back the time is flying by but at some points of the journey it seems like things are moving very slowly. Best thing for me is just living the experience. Good luck to you and again enjoy!!!