Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
One Bariatricpal Multivitamin One Capsule a Day, All the Vitamins and Minerals You Need! Read more... ×

I’m 12 days post op (vsg) and I’ve been fortunate not to have many side effects. The problem is that I’m not feeling any restriction and I’m hungry all the time. I’m afraid my sleeve won’t work.

Can anyone offer insight?

I think I had my sleeve the same day (10/10)! I also feel no restriction which is worrying me! I was really hungry over the weekend but feeling better today.

What do you all mean by "no restriction"? How much can you eat in a half hour period?

For comparison purposes I (sleeved 10/3) can eat 4 oz of yogurt or roughly 3 ounces of cottage cheese, refried Beans, smooth tuna salad, or custard. It takes me 20-30 minutes to get through that much. If I eat more than that much, or I go too fast, I don't get the "full" signal you hear people talk about on here (sore shoulder, etc.), but I definitely feel pretty crappy and kind of sick.

Edited by CrankyMagpie

I can eat a container of yogurt (guessing 5 oz but not sure) in less than 5 minutes. I can drink a Premier Protein shake in less than that. And I don’t feel crappy at all. I don’t think that’s normal - but I don’t have my post-op appointment until Thursday.

On 10/22/2018 at 20:52, busyforever said:

I’m 12 days post op (vsg) and I’ve been fortunate not to have many side effects. The problem is that I’m not feeling any restriction and I’m hungry all the time. I’m afraid my sleeve won’t work.

Can anyone offer insight?
What are you eating? liquids and slider foods will go right through you and you won’t feel restriction. Once you get into dense Protein you will feel full. The sleeve can only do so much, make the changes you need to make now. I am 15 months out and regaining weight.

On 10/22/2018 at 21:29, CyndieRI said:

I can eat a container of yogurt (guessing 5 oz but not sure) in less than 5 minutes. I can drink a Premier Protein shake in less than that. And I don’t feel crappy at all. I don’t think that’s normal - but I don’t have my post-op appointment until Thursday.
Those are slider foods, they won’t make you feel restriction. Once you can eat dense Protein you will feel it. I dare you to eat some chicken breast and see how you feel. Once you are cleared for it of course, I don’t want you rupturing your staple line. Everyone feels the same way right after surgery. I went through it as well. Hang around here long enough and you will see other noobs asking the same question and saying the same things about restriction.

Thanks Walter! That makes me feel a LOT better!! 👍

I was and am still like that if I eat slider foods. If I drink a Protein Shake for Meal Replacement, I could chug it with no problem. I am 6 month post op. I will end up ingesting more than I should and feel nauseous and over stuffed. When I freeze my Protein Drinks and make it slushy like, it's harder to inhale and I make myself take time to drink it. I've made myself take about 30n minutes to eat my meals and for instance last night I had 1 scrambled egg with 2 tablespoons pico de gallo and 2 turkey sausage links. I let my hubby take a bite to try the sausage and then by the time I finished eating I had to give my dog the last bite of the last sausage. I took about 25-30 minutes to eat it. If I would have inhaled it, I could eat it all and want more of something. When we give our tummies and brains time to talk to each other it works. When we rush it, they get discombobulated.

Also GERD can make you feel the "feeling of hunger." Are you taking your PPI(s)? And you've just had a ton of nerves jacked with during surgery--so your tum may not be fully communicating with your brain. Here's Dr. Alvarez talking about hunger immediately post VSG. Apparently, it's pretty normal and will go away. Follow your plan!!! Don't cheat!

8 hours ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

What are you eating? liquids and slider foods will go right through you and you won’t feel restriction. Once you get into dense Protein you will feel full. The sleeve can only do so much, make the changes you need to make now. I am 15 months out and regaining weight.

Consider joining us...

Thanks everyone - I'm on soft foods and feeling better (more energetic as well). Walter, you're right - 2oz ground turkey has me feeling pretty nice these days.

Those are slider foods, they won’t make you feel restriction. Once you can eat dense Protein you will feel it. I dare you to eat some chicken breast and see how you feel. Once you are cleared for it of course, I don’t want you rupturing your staple line. Everyone feels the same way right after surgery. I went through it as well. Hang around here long enough and you will see other noobs asking the same question and saying the same things about restriction.
This really helps to hear! I ate soft flaky fish tonight for the first time and 2.5oz filled me up. Much less than when I eat softies like cottage cheese or Soups, stuff like that.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

I was always hungry too. Still am always hungry. Does not get better. Will seek professional help with therapist because I know it’s an addiction I am dealing with and not true hunger 😭 eat bean Soups they really fill you up and you feel the restriction like crazy and will get the burps