Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone’s dr tell them to drink juice post op? Sounds crazy to me.

Long story short my revision is tomorrow (not wl related but for reflux) and my new dr said for the first week post op just drink juice mixed with Water. But in my head i’m like why on earth would you want me to drink sugar? Like it sounds so backwards to me but idk. I’m also not allowed to have food until january, has anyone else had to wait that long?

My first time around, i started slowly eating soft foods after about a week or 2 and i was fine, the weight came right off and hasn’t come back.

Wow hon. First off, so sorry about the reflux, but so glad you're getting things taken care of and I hope you will feel better quickly!

I'm sure VSG to Bypass is way more complicated, so I can't speak for how long you will have to be on liquids. You can look in my day-by-day thread in the My Story area, think it was starting week3 that I went to mushies? No purees for here. But please, please, please, follow your doc's orders. In my opinion, when we think we're smarter than them and do our own thing, it rarely ends well. At least for me! :D

But yeah...if I was gonna follow his "juice" thing, I'd do the sugar free cranberry juice, and flavored waters. I guess he's trying to keep you from bottoming out without sugar, or Protein, etc. I'd ask his office if they would allow the Premier Protein Clear drinks mixed with Water? ?? Or the Isopure clear protein mixed with water. They are palatable if you mix them with a heck of a lot of water!!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you. I’m definitely going to follow the rules, i did the first time and it worked out (minus the reflux) so i’m not taking any chances. I think the juice thing is to add electrolytes. I’ll do it, i’m just terrified of dumping since my procedure is way different. It’s being converted into a hybrid procedure, i forget the technical name but it’s basically a cross between bypass and the duodenal switch.

I hope it works too because reflux isn’t fun but i’m also not trying to lose anymore weight either.

My only concern with waiting several months to eat actual food is the Constipation issue, that’s never been an issue for me but i don’t want to deal with that either. Other than that, i’m totally fine with Protein Shakes for awhile, i hate pureed or mushy foods so shakes would be preferred.

The same day I had surgery, I had met and made a friend that went through a revision for the same reason. She was eating solids before I was, but her dr was a different one in our Bariatric group. It took me a about 6 weeks before I got to solid I think. I had nothing but diarrhea during my liquid stage.

My dr doesn't want me having fruits because of the added calories. He wants the majority of my calories to come from Protein. I've been wanting to add fruits to my meal replaced Protein Drinks. But I can use fruits in infusd Water because I'm not eating them. I'm only 6 months post op though

Yeah, my doc told me to start drinking juice. It's easy calories at a time when you're not getting much else in.

I stopped once I was past the pureed food stage.

No, I never had any issues with it. Just cut it out when I started eating real food because there was better stuff to spend my calories on.

VSG and RNY surgeries are totes diff on how they handle sugar and how much you can handle without dumping. It's way more rare to dump from VSG--not unheard of--just not as usual...

The only thing that has caused dumping with me after my vsg was hot wings from Krystal's. our electricity went out after a bad storm (it stays out for hours when this happens). I didn't have bottled Water to make a Protein Shake and it was dinner. We are on well water so when electricity goes, so does our water. We went to Krystal's and I thought wings would be safe since there's no bun and it's chicken. WRONG! Lesson learned

would it be a SIP-S xoxococojay?

@johnsons13 dang that sucks...i’m sorry you experienced that.

My new dr is making me do full Keto for 6 months...ew 😝😒 so i was praying that air fried wings and cooked veggies would be my saving grace lol.

it's a bypass with only 1 anastomosis, and I have heard billed similar to what you said Also think might call it an Omega loops. Not done too often in US and Canada but they do them a lot overseas.

So update- i had it done friday and the 1 anastomosis definitely feels different, but in a good way, sort of.

Like no reflux- yay!!!! (I’m over here happy dancing lol)

I let my surgeon experiment with a new operating tool, i have no clue if that added to my recovery or not, but i feel completely normal if that makes sense. The day of i was tired but not really in pain, it was so weird my appetite was still there so i was pissed that i couldn’t even have Water.

The second day- the appetite kind of slowed down a little but when they gave me water i was so shocked that i’m drinking it normally exactly as i was before. The second day i still wasn’t in pain but i could definitely feel that did something, but it wasn’t uncomfortable at all. I was just so ready to go home and lay in my own bed. (I stopped all pain meds by day 2)

Now that it’s been a few days- i’m so over this whole juice thing. I’m not used to it so the day i’m allowed to eat something not sweet will be heaven lol. I feel exactly the same as before, i’m honestly wishing i could go back to work tomorrow.

I was fortunate enough to meet someone else who had the same procedure and she said that it feels different from a regular bypass or sleeve. She said that when you eat something you aren’t supposed to, you don’t get sick right away- it’s more like delayed dumping. She did say that she can eat and drink normally with no issues and even do so at the same time. She also said that there is no uncomfortable feeling in your throat like the sleeve if you eat to fast or drink to fast which is good. But we’ll see if i experience that too.