Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting surgery next month and I’m just wondering how much has it changed peoples day to day lives. What are some things that I should expect? Best Protein? Basically whatever info that is worth knowing.

50 minutes ago, TaKarra said:

I am getting surgery next month and I’m just wondering how much has it changed peoples day to day lives. What are some things that I should expect? Best Protein? Basically whatever info that is worth knowing.

Best advice I can give is to use the search tool on the site and read alot of posts and threads about common questions ideas, etc. You see trends on what to buy, avoid, bring to the hospital etc.

Life is different and the same. I found that people will now react differently to you depending on how they truly felt about you in the first place. However, you will ultimately most likely be the same person after surgery despite what you see in the mirror or on the scale.

Safe Journey!

My best advice is to not compare yourself to others. This is your journey. food advice...don't overbuy. Your tastebuds change after surgery. I loved premiere shakes before surgery, after surgery they were difficult to digest. I now use Unjury Protein Powder. You will find what works best for you. Many brands provide samples. I lived on samples the first few weeks. Best of luck to you. Remember we are all here for you.

18 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

@AshAsh1 Where's your superlist? Good luck, TaKarra!

Here's my top 13 tips!

1. Start altering your diet now. Cut out processed food, or at the very least processed sugar. Practice eating your Protein first and then focus on non-starchy veggies. Also, start tracking your food. There are lots of apps that make logging very easy. I personally use MyFitnessPal, but there are others out there.
  2. Find something that you like to drink that doesn't have calories. Try different caffeine free teas and Water additives. I still can't drink plain water....so you want to have something on hand that you know you like.
  3. Cut out caffeine. Most programs allow caffeine back in relatively quickly, but caffeine can hinder your body's ability to heal. You don't want to go through caffeine withdrawal along with the aches and pains of surgery.
  4. Don't use Protein Shakes before you absolutely have to! I started supplementing some of my meals with shakes to "prepare myself" for the pre-op diet. Big mistake. You will get to the point where they are DISGUSTING, and you don't want to increase the timeline of that by drinking them before you need to.
  5. Start incorporating exercising (even if it’s just walking) somewhere in your daily routine. It will make it easier if it’s already a habit.
  6. Practice chewing your food at least 20-30 times before swallowing. Muscle has memory and it will be so much easier if you already have this habit. If you screw up and swallow too soon after surgery, you will pay the price.
  7. Set timers and don't drink and eat at the same time.
  8. I highly recommend having at least 1 visit with a therapist to establish with someone for after surgery. It’s not required, but everyone seems to have some emotional struggles afterwards. Whether its 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years you may struggle with the changes.
  9. I personally wouldn't share with people, unless you know they will be 100% supportive. It is nerve wracking already and you need nothing but positivity. Plus it’s a lot of pressure from people who know you've had WLS, versus people who think you are on the weight loss track. People think that the weight is going to melt off after surgery, and sometimes it doesn't. You don't want the extra judgment. Don’t engage people with people who say “WLS is too dramatic” or “You could just diet and lose the weight” or “You aren’t big enough for surgery” or “It’s the easy way out”. SCREW THOSE PEOPLE, they don’t know. They will never know how triumphant our victory will be.
  10. I would also remember that you need to make time for you! Make the time to shop healthy, meal prep, cook healthy, and plan ahead. And I’m talking to all the selfless mothers, fathers, husbands, and wives. We give so much to our families, but NOW is the time to focus on ourselves. We are doing it for them, after all. We are doing it to prolong our lives and improve the quality of our lives.
  11. Come up with a reward system of sorts. You want to acknowledge your successes. For my 50lb mark, I went and got pedicures with my girlfriends. For my 75lb mark, I bought myself some new dresses. For my 100lb mark, I bought myself a really nice full length mirror.
  12. Stalls happen and are completely natural. There are tons of threads in this community that you can search for suggestions or for advice.
  13. Hunger happens. Some people don’t experience a decrease in hunger, but it is easily manageable with a small amount of the right foods.

20 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Life is different and the same. I found that people will now react differently to you depending on how they truly felt about you in the first place. However, you will ultimately most likely be the same person after surgery despite what you see in the mirror or on the scale.

honestly, I feel like a new person... I think it just depends.

We're all different and can give different advice. Remember this is your journey and your dr will tell you different things my doctor did, etc. From my experience, I was fine with a GNC brand Protein Drink before surgery and now for a Meal Replacement I can tolerate it, but when I HAD to drink it after surgery I had to switch to premier. There are many different Vitamins out there, but ultimately what you like will be what is best as long as you're getting your requirements. there will be hard times and times where you forget you've had surgery. Don't get frustrated and feel like a failure. You're human and we can start our days over anytime.

@AshAsh1 mentioned timing yourself. I will definitely second that. I'm trying to think of the things that were the most challenging for me at first, and that is one of them. I was always used to drinking while eating. Everyone does it, but it's something you have to stop doing.

The other thing that was challenging for me was taking all of my Vitamins. I actually got overwhelmed with this part, which I didn't expect. I take 2 calciums, a Multivitamin, Biotin, 3 Iron, and 3 Vitamin C, plus my prescription and otc medicines, and some of those can't be taking within a few hours of other things, etc... Just talk to your doctor or pharmacist about medication/vitamin interactions, so you know when to take everything to get the best benefits.

My favorite Protein is the Isopure Zero Carb. It's 25g of protein per scoop. I add a packet of stevia to each scoop that I use, as it's more bland than other Proteins that I've used.

Lastly, know that you don't have to eat something just because it's there. In my department, there is CONSTANTLY food being brought in, but just because it's here, doesn't mean that I have to eat it.

I was happy I found a multi Vitamin with Iron and Calcium that I can drink that doesn't taste like meds. And now, I only have to take 2 of those (which I just add to my water) and 1 calcium. Before I had to take 3 multi vitamin with iron and 3 calcium chews. And I have my prescribed meds that I have to open my capsules and take with yogurt. That's the hardest part. I can't wait to be approved to swallow meds again.