Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s not a liquid diet, it’s a keto/low carb diet. Most VLCDs used in the pro op diet just happen to come in liquid form or mix into a liquid form. My VLCD came in shakes, Soups, mousse and bars, which is supplemented by lots of low starch veges. I liked the bars so that’s what I used. No liquid for me. When I mentioned to my dietician that I couldn’t mix the shakes properly, she offered instead that I could do a Keto diet which was real food just low carb.

7 hours ago, Brissie said:

It’s not a liquid diet, it’s a keto/low carb diet.

Most of the people here are instructed to do liquids only in the weeks leading up to their surgery, myself included.

Also the hallmark of a Keto diet is that it is low carb, high fat. Fat is also something that I was instructed to minimize in my pre-op diet because the liver stores fat as well as carbs.

No vegetables for me, I would kill for some steamed broccoli and sliced cucumber.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:12 AM, Matt Z said:

not everyone is on liquids only pre-op. This is per surgeon/site. I was allowed SF Jello, watermelon and celery. So, the "reasons" might have some merit... but since this isn't an "across the board" situation, there is a *LOT* of personal preference based on what the surgeon likes to see when they start the surgery.

I agree 100% with MattZ. It clearly varies so much across the board per doctor. My pre-op visit is one week prior to surgery and at that point the Doc will tell me how long I'm doing a liquid diet, somewhere between 3-7 days.

I asked my surgeon before he carved me up like a Christmas ham. His response was “trust nobody” when it comes to them following the pre-op diet.

Well, at least he was honest.

Also I lost 15 pounds during my 2 weeks but he said my liver was still fatty and I am miffed.

You got carved up? I think mine only threw knivers or a scalpel or 2. Maybe I should be glad he didn't carve or tattoo BJN next to my navel. Come to think of it, he and Tomkitten have the same initals, maybe that's why the 2 of them got along so well! PCP started putting" Morbid Obesity" on. Tomkitten's visit summeries He asked "Does THIS mean I got to visit Dr Needleman also?" Told him " not until you are emotionally ready for all that ensues!" At its very nicest, it does rock and shake up YOUR personal 🌏 WORLD!

The worst thing you can do is not follow your doctors instructions and them have to postpone your surgery if they find food in your tummy or intestines. You can do it! Remember how hard you worked to get to this point !

On 10/09/2018 at 21:24, BelleOfBatonRouge said:

So, I completely understand why we have to drink liquids only after surgery. And I completely understand why we need to shrink our liver and how eating very low carb and low sugar can reduce it. What I don’t understand is why it has to be liquids only before surgery? Does anyone know?

Also today is day 7 of my 14 day liquid diet and I found a random scale (I don’t own one) and I’ve lost 5 pounds. I was probably going to hurt something if that scale hadn’t moved a bit after seven days of suffering.

I had to do a 2 week pre-op diet but it was not liquids only. I could have 2 fruits a day plus 4oz lean Protein and veggies (not potato or corn). I only had to do liquids the day before surgery. Every surgeon has there own instructions which seems odd to me. I also had Protein Shakes in the hospital but some people are on Clear Liquids for a week. It’s weird!