Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had my first "stuck" experience today...

I use papaya enzyme tablets and they help a lot of the time. For some reason, I noticed that the ones I got from Vitamin World work better than the ones I recently got from GNC. The GNC tablets taste really sugary too. I bought some @ Walgreens and I didn't really like those either.

The pineapple juice works too, but I haven't tried it in a little while.

I also do the arms up and stretching and that helps some too. I do this while walking around.

For those of you that have not had the STUCK feeling or have not been banded yet please heed my warning...DO NOT have distraction while you eat! Example: SMALL CHILDREN... I have done this 4 times and I felt like I was going to die! I can no longer eat around my nephew...lol. Please please chew chew chew your food and put your fork down and make sure you don't eat dry chicken or anything else that is DRY for that matter. When your doc advises that you can eat real food again...take baby steps you are essentially re-learning how to eat and I would like to spare you some pain. It has been a while since I got the stuck feeling so I think I have finally learned my limits and what I can and cannot tolerate. Hope this helps!

im not sure how effective this will be for you but i recently read on the board that little tiny sips of pineapple juice helps...

That is what I hard as well. T-I-N-Y. sips of pinapple juice

That is what I hard as well. T-I-N-Y. sips of pinapple juice

Ya it is hard but if you want to help the situation and not make it worse then you will do just that TINY SIPS........... :biggrin1:

I had my first STUCK feeling this morning while taking a pill. I am 5 weeks post op. I am eating "soft/chopped" foods and have been taking pills for the last two weeks (ok per Dr.) I normally take about 6 meds a day, before surgery I'd even swallow a few at a time with a big gulp of Water...

However, today I was at my desk, going to take my Colace stool softner gel tab, I took a swig of Water, realized it was soo much, spit some back into the cup, then tried to swallow the pill. NO GOOD. It felt like it was stuck in my throat right above my collar bone. I was freaking out. I went to the restroom and stood over the toilet thinking I'd PB...?

I did sip water...now I know that's bad... I tried swallowing saliva hard. I ended up licking little bits of watered down yogurt (lubrication?) until it passed. It took about 2 hours till it felt passed, but I've felt the remnance all day.

scared me. So glad people post past experience on here! thank you. Now I know for next time.

Just wait it out and either the food will go through and the pain goes away ... or it all comes back up. Whatever you do, don't drink anything because as you said, it only makes it worse! I made that mistake the first time I experienced "stuckage" :)

This is very good advice. Wait it out, and don't drink anything.

I had GERD prior to lap band, and actually had to have surgeries 2X to remove scar tissue caused by the reflux so I could swallow.

It is very hard in the beginning to NOT panic. But I guess because I went for so long with food getting stuck (i stupidly did not go to the doctor) I learned to just tell myself relax. I would try Water and that often slimed me more. But I would keep trying. I once had a piece of steak caught for almost 3 hours. I ended up going to the hospital to get something to make me get rid of it. Not a nice experience.... Anyway, after that I learned I am not going to die if I can talk and am still breathing. If I don't panic, it goes down or comes out easier and faster.

I have to force myself to not eat fast and to CHEW my food. Hopefully this will not happen again to you, but if it does don't panic--you have been through this now and will get through it again (my mantra). :smile:

If you were banded on October 17th of this year, and it is now only November 10th when I am replying, how is it that you decided to eat Beans already? My doc had me on Clear liquids for a week, then mushy soft foods that are low in fat and not too starchy(such as Jello, sugar/fat free puddings, creamy Soups, etc., for another two weeks, then bbaby foods for anothe rweek. This all to heal the banding site. ALso, you shouls always wait minutes between bites to make sure you don't get too full, too quickly. Hot liquids sometimes help loosen things up, but really you shouls avoid the liquids.

It seems like every doctor has their own schedule for food progressions.

Personally, my doctor only keeps you on Clear Liquids for two days... full liquids/soft mushies for 5 days... then, regular soft foods the second week (tuna, canned chicken, veggies, etc)... NORMAL food week three (regular cooked chicken, fish, etc)... except beef, pork, bread, and a few other items that you have to wait until after your first fill.

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread! I'm still in the full liquid stage, but I already know that I'm gonna have problems in this area, I constantly eat too fast!

If I hadn't of read this my first instinct would have been to take a drink!! Thanks so much for the wonderful info!