Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to unfill or not to unfill ??

Is the goal to reach your weight and then have your band unfilled? I may have misunderstood, but I went for a pre-op consultation this w/e and mentioned 2 stories about persons not seeing doc for a year and then gaining weight + back,:) and asked doc what the end result should be, and am I then married to him and fills forever? He said the idea is to get to goal and eventually unfill to dodge erosion issues, which makes sense except that (as a friend pointed out) then your band would be loose and want to slip.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm? What were you told the end result should be and are you married to your doc forever?

When I got to goal, I found it hard to stop losing weight, so i had a couple of small unfills, then a total unfill (the weight loss stoped at that point) I have now been unfilled for about a year, and I haven't gained any weight at all. In fact I am a couple of pounds lighter.

I think the thing is, if a person is going to just "diet" the weight off with idea that once they get to goal they can unfill, and eat "normally" again, they will probably regain the weight. BUT if a person changes their lifestyles, there is a much better chance that a year down the tack they will have kept the weight off.

And I am not too sure where the idea that an unfilled band will "want to slip" comes from. It's not like it's so loose it's flopping around on your stomach or anything. It's still tight, but not as tight as when it's filled.

I do love my doctor. But as much as I love him, he is too short for my liking, so I don't think I would marry him! LMAO

I do get what you mean. I don't think that you are tied to any one doctor, but I have always seen the same doc because I like him, we get on well (that is very important for me) and he is close by.

Thanks for this post. I'm 25lbs away from my goal and I'm pretty restricted... I hope in January I can be at my goal...but don't think I will make it.

The less I weigh, the slower the weightloss.

But I do look forward to being able to eat something w/o sliming it up.

At this point in time, I wouldnt mind being just a bit lighter, like 8, 10lb. I need to really work for that to happen and lately, I havent been really working, lol.

But I cant see needing to unfill my band, honestly, I live such a normal lifestyle and never needed to be very restricted to lose, I think I've changed my lifestyle a LOT but I'm perfectly comfortable living like I am and see no reason to unfill at all.

If I make effort to eat only 3 meals a day and watch the calories I lose weight, when I dont think about it, these days I eat quite well but I dont lose any, I maintain. So for me, I dont see an unfill happening.

I wasnt told anything by the way, but the general gist of things has been that you stay filled.

No, I've honestly never heard of that, on all these boards, the general consensus is that unless necessary (like if you keep losing too much weight) you retain some fill in your band.