Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so fed up with doctors!! I just want to be treated as a person!

Okay, so I've been having this unexplained pain on my lower stomach for a few moths and it comes and goes but sometimes it gets so severe I end up at the ER. And usually they start out super nice, treat the pain then do CT scan but can never see anything. Then they just do a 180 with their attitude with me and act as if I'm faking the pain and just sent me home. A couple of times I've been admitted and they found a hiatal hernia but the doctor said "everyone has those, it wouldn't cause that pain" and again, sent me home feeling humiliated for being treated like a drug seeker. I'm convinced it says that on my chart now. So I go see my bariatric surgeon's NP yesterday to go over my regain and I tell her about the pain and she's like omg that's awful! Your surgeon is actually at the hospital you had your surgery at, go straight to the ER, I will page him and make sure when you get there you tell them you're there to see him. By now the pain has gotten so bad it's not just on my lower right abdomen, it loops to my lower and middle back. I tell them I haven't been able to have a bowel movement or pass gas. The ER doctor saw me first, very nice she said don't worry we're gonna get you comfortable while we page Dr. De La Cruz. They gave me 4 mg of morphine and guys, IT DID NOTHING. I was sobbing! The nurse was like, I got you, I'll ask for something stronger I'll be right be right back. While waiting, finally my surgeon sent his "chief attending" cuz I guess he was in surgery and she examined me, asked questions, poked me around a lot and saw how I howled in pain

n the areas she touched that hurt the most. And she goes "Well, you had a CT scan like a week ago so I'm not doing that again, we'll just do an xray but I'm sure you're just constipated and you don't need pain medication, it'll just make it worse." So the nurse comes back and she's like, I can;t give you anything until after the x-ray." I hold out crying for the x-ray. The guy and lady who did it manhandled the heck out of me then I had to wait an hour for the results, still almost yelling I was sobbing so loudly and no one would come to even check on me. Finally the ER doc comes in and was like "well, we couldn't see any impacted stool or anything but the resident from your surgeon's team chose against scanning youand to follow up w your surgeon in a week so I'm gonna send you home. Just drink lots of Water and you can take ibuprofen and I'm like 1) I'm allergic and 2) bariatric patients can't take NSAIDS. She's just like "I'm not giving you narcotics" and I'm like "I'm not asking for narcotics! I just need someone to find out what's wrong with me and fix it, please" I didn't even finish my sentence when she just turned around an walked out of the room. WHO DOES THAT! The nurse came by to take off my IV and help me get dressed and she was like "I'm sorry but they made a bad call. You call your surgeon tomorrow and complain because anyone can see you're not faking" She was the one person that was nice to me.

I'm sorry for the wrong rant but I'm so discouraged. I thought my surgeon would at least see me himself or admit me so they can really take a look at what could be wrong. I've left 4 messages at his office today and no call backs yet. I know it sounds crazy but maybe it's because I'm one of his failure patients cuz I gained weight so he doesn't want to really deal with me. My pain is so bad, the only way I can deal at work is if I take one of my husband's muscle relaxants. It doesn't make the pain go away but it makes it bearable. I'm barely eating but I look 6 months pregnant and I feel awful. I hope I can get to see him again and make sure it's HIM soon.

I don't know what else to do. I hate being treated like a junkie when I'm legitimately in pain.

Edited by kat__p

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I think this is going to happen more and more because of all the media attention to the opioid crisis. I'd rather see a thousand drug seekers get their fix than one person suffer in pain. I worry about this being a problem after surgery because we can't take NSAIDS. I hope you get a decent doctor to see you soon.

That sucks. Hope he figures it out soon and you get some relief. Good luck to you.

Some sort of spasms they can't put a finger on- so they put you down? Typical medical reasoning WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS---THEREFORE YOU HAVE NOTHING WRONG! It is a miracle they are not killing a chicken, setting a fire , counting smoke rings to diagnose you. That's what they did in the Middle Ages,after all.Seems not,to have changed too much.

15 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I think this is going to happen more and more because of all the media attention to the opioid crisis. I'd rather see a thousand drug seekers get their fix than one person suffer in pain. I worry about this being a problem after surgery because we can't take NSAIDS. I hope you get a decent doctor to see you soon.

Thank you! And honestly, there are ways doctors can tell you're in actual pain. High heart rate, high blood pressure, I had all of that, you can't fake that. Ugh, I'm still fuming!

I'm calling my surgeon's office again today if not I'm gonna have to find a new bariatric surgeon.

15 hours ago, J San said:

That sucks. Hope he figures it out soon and you get some relief. Good luck to you.

Thank you, I hope so too. I'm barely even eating now from the pain and I'm just exhausted all the time. It's hard putting on a happy face at work.

12 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Some sort of spasms they can't put a finger on- so they put you down? Typical medical reasoning WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS---THEREFORE YOU HAVE NOTHING WRONG! It is a miracle they are not killing a chicken, setting a fire , counting smoke rings to diagnose you. That's what they did in the Middle Ages,after all.Seems not,to have changed too much.

BRUH. SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Where was the CT scan done on your body? Was it your abdomen, chest or pelvis? I only ask because maybe it’s a gynecological issue and they didn’t catch anything that high up? I know what you’re going through, I had the same thing but the pain magically went away.

my doc said it could have been a gallbladder attack, but no need for the gallbladder to come out. If I were you, I would ask for a pelvic CT scan and/or ultrasound to make sure it isn’t gynecology related. When I had cysts, I could the feel the pain into my chest, back, thighs and abdomen...and I legit looked 6 months pregnant from swelling

On 8/30/2018 at 8:08 PM, Bryn910 said:

Where was the CT scan done on your body? Was it your abdomen, chest or pelvis? I only ask because maybe it’s a gynecological issue and they didn’t catch anything that high up? I know what you’re going through, I had the same thing but the pain magically went away.

my doc said it could have been a gallbladder attack, but no need for the gallbladder to come out. If I were you, I would ask for a pelvic CT scan and/or ultrasound to make sure it isn’t gynecology related. When I had cysts, I could the feel the pain into my chest, back, thighs and abdomen...and I legit looked 6 months pregnant from swelling

Thank you, they'e always just scanned the stomach so I'll definitely ask my doctor about doing a pelvic ultrasound.

I second the possible gyno issue. Go to your gyno and rule out PID (Pelvic Inflammatory disease) or other gyno issues. The sooner the better.

And please update us, THOSE symptoms are worrying, no matter what Dr DingBat and his happy minions say!😫

Yes! I second asking for a gynecological exam and ultrasound. The worst pain I have ever felt was from ovarian cysts rupturing. My pain was short lived each time (20 minutes each time) but had it kept up it was enough to make me want to dial 911. Also- I know when my mom had an ovarian torsion (twisted ovary) due to an ovarian cyst the size of a volleyball, she was in constant excruciating pain until it was removed.

I hope it’s not as serious as an ovarian torsion, but my point is that lady part ailments can be incredibly painful so it’s worth looking into!

UPDATE: I went to have an upper GI done on Tuesday and my whole abdomen, stomach, colon all were still full of barium contrast from 2 MONTHS ago when I had a CT scan!!!! It was all stuck to my insides. My surgeon had me drink magnesium citrate for 2 days and basically poop my insides out (that's what it felt like, anyway.) I saw him yesterday and he's concerned. He has scheduled me for another upper GI and he said that if things didn't improve he would refer me to a colorectal surgeon to check if my colon is functioning correctly. I asked about the pelvic exam and he's scheduling that too. I'm not gonna lie I'm scared but at least my surgeon is aware and treating me and I trust him completely. Wish me luck you guys. Thank you all for all your kind words. <3

I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s dreadful. Just want you to know your “team” is behind you and praying this gets sorted. Hang in there and keep fighting.

Good luck. I hope this resolves the pain you've been going through.