Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My incisions are itching

Yes! It means they are healing. I have always put a hydrocortisone cream on my stitches when they started to itch! I had major back surgery 5 years ago. Image having a 20” incision down the middle of your back start itching! I used hydrocortisone on that too with no problems! Just make sure your hands are clean!

yes, itching is ok. just as long as you don't have redness, red streaks or drainage coming from the sites you are good.

Why does my wound itch?

The skin contains specialized nerve fibers that detect when the dermis is being irritated and send signals to the spinal cord, communicating that there is an itch. This is known as "mechanical stress".

Wound healing also elicits mechanical stress that activates itching. As it heals, the cells around the wound proliferate, which means the margins around the wound grow and migrate inwards toward the base. In fact, the cells follow an electrical pathway at a voltage that is different than the margin so they can tell where the base is. The cells then unite at the center, attach together and contract to pull the wound shut. This process creates a mechanical stress that activates the itch nerves and tells the spinal cord to scratch.

The dangers of scratching

Scratching a wound that is trying to heal can cause damage to the new tissue that has grown to replace and repair the damaged tissue. If this happens, it can slow the healing process, which leaves your body susceptible to wound infection longer and can result in excessive scarring. Additionally, it can cause potentially harmful bacteria on the hands to transfer to the wound, again putting you at a higher risk of developing an infection.

To find out more, including tips to reduce itching:

https://advancedtissue.com/2014/10/understanding-wound-healing-itching-dilemma/

Missouri-Lee's Summit, I always enjoy your fact-filled post. I never thought much about the healing process, but it is incredibly interesting.

To the OP: I have eczema flare-ups on my feet. When it happens, it is excruciatingly itchy. I once itched so much, that the doctor drew a line around it in fear that it was a flesh eating disease. I spent an entire summer trying everything from soaking it in alcohol, anti-fungals (It looked like ringworm), steroids, benadryl both oral and topical and just about anything else.

I would suggest 2 things. If your doc will allow it, you might try benedryl oral. I'm not positive if that will help, but it's worth a shot.

The second thing is an ice pack. Works like a charm. For me, I would ice it until the ice pack became lukewarm. The effect would last for the entire duration of the ice being on it, plus another hour or so. I would check with your doctor's office first because I think the ice pack reduces blood to the area, which slows healing.

Just a few thoughts.

Mine itched as well, but I'm allergic to all adhesives. I also ended up with a yeast infection all over my stomach, weird huh. Just make sure you don't have any rashes.

20 hours ago, E.S said:

I’m 6 days post op and my incision are itching.
Does this means it’s healing ?

Yes, they are just healing, but isn't it super annoying? I had surgery on the 8th and I can't stop scratching, it drives me crazy!